Documents tab or standard searches for many file formats

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Documents tab or standard searches for many file formats

Postby SensibleAnalytics » Fri May 23, 2008 2:09 pm

A "document" to me is information in any file format, be it the mainstream MS/pdf/etc, but also in other formats. The default for X1 documents does include the MS/pdf standards, but not such formats as html/mhtml/etc.

Is there a way of "adding" such additional file formats to the default Documents tab, so that i don't have to add them to the Document Type all every time a create and save a new search. Or at least set up a single template search that includes all file formats i have, and then simply use that as the base from which to start??? Practically all of my Knowledge are in all these different file formats. The power in X1 is to find your information, in any file format (within reason of course), but alas i'm feeling stymied.

I also think i may not be approaching this problem in the right manner. Any thoughts, creative, wild, whatever, whould be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance,
Michael
SensibleAnalytics

Postby Kenward » Fri May 23, 2008 2:21 pm

Yes.

Switch to the "Documents" search view.

Ensure that the "Document Type" column is visible.

Add the ones you want:

html= mhtml=

Then either just save the search. Or, if you don't want to overwrite the default, "Save As".

I have many different saved searches of this variety.

When you have set up a search to your satisfication, you can remove the "Document Type" column and recover some real estate.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Greg Dawes » Fri May 23, 2008 3:42 pm

SensibleAnalytics,

The additional document extensions that you add need to be separated by the boolean: OR (notice the uppercase).

Therefore, to add html and mhtml to the default results when using the "Documents" search, you would modify the contents of the "Document Type" column from:

doc= OR xls= OR ppt= OR vsd= OR pdf=
to
doc= OR xls= OR ppt= OR vsd= OR pdf= OR html= OR mhtml=

Then click File > Save.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Return to General Discussion