No IMAP results?

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

No IMAP results?

Postby Mike Elliott » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:33 pm

(I would have searched the forums for this but the search feature wants IE6, and anyone who's anyone uses Firefox. I mean, c'mon.)

WinXP SP3, Thunderbird, X1 v6.2

I'm evaluating X1. I have a couple gmail IMAP accounts that I access with Thunderbird. It appears that X1 does not index those accounts, though it's working find with my POP accounts. Am I correct to think that X1 ain't gonna work with my IMAP accounts?
Mike Elliott

Re: No IMAP results?

Postby Kenward » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:26 am

Mike Elliott wrote:(I would have searched the forums for this but the search feature wants IE6, and anyone who's anyone uses Firefox. I mean, c'mon.)

You need IE Tab.

Then set it so that Firefox emulates IE when it hits the search engine.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: No IMAP results?

Postby Kenward » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:29 am

Mike Elliott wrote:Am I correct to think that X1 ain't gonna work with my IMAP accounts?

No, is the answer based on a quick search of this forum.

It can, though, take some doing.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:10 am

Strange... X1 does index my IMAP account. I am able to search and preview messages, however I can't open them with X1. But the fact it displays the whole message is usually useful enough.

I don't use GMail though, but I can't see how the provider would make a difference.

Have you been into Thunderbird settings in X1, does your GMAIL IMAP accounts show up in there?

I'm using whatever the latest Thunderbird is, I think 2.0.14?
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Mike Elliott » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:05 am

Hi tjh, thanks for the suggestion.

Not sure where to look in x1 to see if my TB Gmail IMAP account shows up. Tools > Options > Thunderbird > Select Folders To Scan ... shows all my email folders, POP and IMAP as being selected.

X1's FAQ says that "IMAP Email Servers – X1 does not fully support indexing of email messages when stored on IMAP email servers. X1 recommends always storing copies of the email messages in your local email client for best performance."

I asked about storing local copies on mozilla.support.thunderbird and I received the following: "In the folder properties for the mail folders you want X1 to be able to index, select the "Offline" tab and check the box for the feature. Then click the "download now" button to copy the data from the server."

I'll give that a try and report back.
Mike Elliott

Return to General Discussion