Moved Thunderbird Mail Folders, X1 isn't seeing them

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Moved Thunderbird Mail Folders, X1 isn't seeing them

Postby Mike Elliott » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:03 am

Hi, to conserve disk space on my internal drive I dumped Google Desktop in favor of X1. X1 lets a fellow put the index files on an external HD, GD does not. My next step in freeing up more space on my internal HD is to move my Thunderbird Mail and News folders onto the external HD. Now it appears that X1 is not finding the files in the new location. I'm seeing "Error -- click to try again." at the bottom right of X1's screen, and when I click it, it brings up Options > Email.

Is there a way to point X1 to the new Mail and News folders location?
Mike Elliott

Postby Kenward » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:17 am

You may have been lucky. I think you will find that X1 does not guarantee to handle attached devices that come and go.

If you can say a bit about how this "external HD" connects to your PC, someone may be able to help.

Do you realise that you cannot just add external devices through their "drive letter". They have to look as if they are on a network.

By the way, is this a laptop? If not then it is the easiest thing in the world to add a new hard disk. You don't have to have a PhD in computer science to be able to open the case and slap in a new disk.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Mike Elliott » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks for your help.

It's a laptop. I have an external Firewire drive that I offload big files onto. It appears in Wndows (XP) Explorer as Drive I: I've moved my TB Mail and News folders onto it. TB is happy with the arrangement, now I'd like X1 to find the files in their new location. How can I point X1 to them?
Mike Elliott

Postby Kenward » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:20 am

You need to "map" the drive as if it were a part of a network.

One way to do this is to go to the drive as you see it on your PC and then "share" it. That should give a "share address" that you can feed into X1.

It will show up as something like:

\\YourPCName\Sharedname

You will have to copy this name into the appropriate slot in the "Files" area of X1 indexing.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Mike Elliott » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:15 pm

Thank you. I though the Files thing was only for, well, files, since X1 lists Files Indexing separately from Email Indexing on the Options screen.

Okay then: share the Mail and News root folder, add it to X1 using Options > Files > More Indexing Options. How do I want X1 to index Thunderbird Mail/News folders? Everything? File Names and sizes, plus content for specified extensions?
Mike Elliott

Postby Kenward » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:17 pm

I was talking about how you get access to the disk.

X1 can't index stuff on disks it can't see.

If you want to get at a PST file, then you may have to go further.

You may have to fiddle around with Mail profiles to create one that points at the PST files on your removable media.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Mike Elliott » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:27 pm

Thank you for your help. Thunderbird's files are not .pst. TB keeps an index file with an .msf extension, and the actual mails are kept in files without extensions. Such as Inbox, Sent, etc.
Mike Elliott

Return to General Discussion