Missing the X1 basic version

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Missing the X1 basic version

Postby Tman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:10 am

Hi,

I'm a home user and have been using X1 for many years. I value this software and prefer working with it rather than the competitors (GDS, Copernic, Windows search) for various reasons.

On the other hand, this the kind of service is one that I'm not willing to pay for, and therefore was very surprised to discover that suddenly the latest copy I've downloaded does not anymore function after the first month (as opposed to the past basic versions).

This means that X1 have decided that they don't want anymore customers like myself. I would have perhaps gone to the lengths of downloading each month the latest version, if it wasn't for the non-friendly evaluation page that has no mechanism for returning users to login (each time one has to fill a dozen fields or so).

This also implies that a customer like myself, who would have happily followed the announcment at http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?t=3773 to vote for X1 as the best free desktop search engine, would no longer do so - sure it's the best, but it's the best non-free desktop search engine out there..
Tman

Re: Missing the X1 basic version

Postby Kenward » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:51 am

Tman wrote:On the other hand, this the kind of service is one that I'm not willing to pay for,

Tman wrote:This means that X1 have decided that they don't want anymore customers like myself.

In what way are you a "customer"?

While it is annoying to lose free toys, someone has to pay for them in the real world.

Have you looked at Windows DTS lately? They have updated it. Maybe it has progressed to a stage where it will meet your needs for free software.

By the way, nobody asked you to vote for X1 as "the best free desktop search engine". It asked you to "nominate it as the best desktop search engine". Not quite the same thing.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby stodd » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 am

I really liked X1, but got tired of various aspects ~ mainly the CPU hogging. I have found Copernic to be the best alternative for (free) home use. Microsoft Search got better with the last release, but it still seems to slow down my machine more than Copernic.
stodd
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:07 am

I'm beginning to feel that anything would be better than X1 and its resource problems. I even built a new go faster machine in the hope that it would help. No chance.

Sitting here with X1 eating ~40 per cent and X1Service anything from 10 to 30 per cent.

Nothing else can get a look in.

I have used other Copernic stuff in the past. Tracker, for example. Good but tends to be abandoned as they move on to something else.

Maybe time to give it another chance.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby w0qj » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:33 pm

Hi Stodd,

Long time no see ;)

Copernic does not work for me, mainly because I open one folder for each customer in real office work--and put everything into this Folder (Image files, *.XLS files, *.DOC files, *.PDF files, etc.)

Copernic cannot give you a view of everything in a Folder--it forces you to view between Image tab, and you need to switch to another File tab to view the rest of your files.

This is a big no no for me--this will waste me time finding what's in one specific (customer) Folder. Hence X1 is still the best one for me.

Have no idea if Copernic's claim "Lite on computer resources" is marketing fluff, or actual better CPU usage... have not tried CDS for over one year...
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tjh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:10 pm

I know the X1 "CPU Hog" thing is really annoying, but I hope everyone is also logging cases with X1 and providing info to them.

I've done so and I get the impression they are very keen to fix it, but they can't recreate it in any way.

If I didn't want to pay for a Search client, I'd probably go with Copernic. In fact, if it had a slightly better, less childish (my opinion) interface, I might use it fulltime.

But the power you get with X1 still seems unrivalled to me.
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby stodd » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:02 pm

Hi, w0qj

Yes, as you can see I am no longer very active as I've moved away to Copernic. I still prefer X1's slightly starker but much more logical interface, so I still visit the forum sometimes hoping to see improvements in the other problems.

I hadn't noticed Copernic's very odd assumption that an image is not a file before. I thought the 'All' view would help, but that removed my option of a Folder search. This issue is not a problem for me, but Copernic do seem to have comprehensively avoided sensible behaviour for you.

I just enjoy really good software for its own sake [sad ):], and all the desktop search solutions just miss the 'really good'.

Stephen
stodd
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby w0qj » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:42 pm

Hi Stodd,

Tks for your feedback...

CDS have just started charging US$50 for the privilege of indexing MS Outlook, and also for indexing external net work drives (eg: Your USB Memory Drive).

So with this credit crunch thingy going on, it seems that many things are moving away from freeware to payware...
Rgds / Mr. Wong

"It is what X1 can do with the information found that is important."
w0qj
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to General Discussion