X1 and Windows 7 indexing

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

X1 and Windows 7 indexing

Postby ddchung » Thu May 06, 2010 2:39 am

If I have X1, should I turn off the "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" check box in the hard drive properties to prevent Windows 7 from separately from doing its own indexing?
ddchung

Re: X1 and Windows 7 indexing

Postby danhotchkiss » Thu May 06, 2010 2:23 pm

I'd say it depends how much spare disk space and processing power you have. On my Dell Latitude E6400 I have both x1 and Win7 indexing files, but I've set Win7 only to index file properties (mainly, the filenames) and current Outlook email. That way I an use the Start Menu search for a quick and dirty filename search, and to search within an Outlook folder when I happen to be in Outlook. For anything more complex (multiple criteria and content searching) I use X1. I'm not aware of a performance hit, but with a different system you might well.
danhotchkiss

Postby Ian_H » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:47 am

How can I do this?
- Do a standard Windows 7 search from the Start button and use X1 from the system tray icon?

I just bought and installed 6.7.1 and de-selected the option during installation to make X1 the default search and it appears it has ignored this and still wants to search X1 when I search from the start button.

Before installing X1, searching from the Start button would search my emails files and docs - everything I wanted.
After installing X1 searching from the Start button only searches programs and files (as it tells me in grey text in the search text box)

There's an option from the search results to Search Everywhere that fires up X1 with the same search details

I want the old behaviour back.

BTW I'm using windows 64 with Windows Search 4
X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.7.1
(Build 4054ar)

Thanks
Ian.
Ian_H

Postby Ian_H » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:54 pm

Ian_H wrote:How can I do this?

Before installing X1, searching from the Start button would search my emails files and docs - everything I wanted.
After installing X1 searching from the Start button only searches programs and files (as it tells me in grey text in the search text box)

There's an option from the search results to Search Everywhere that fires up X1 with the same search details

I want the old behaviour back.

I think I've fixed this ... using the Windows 7 Set Your Default Programs option, I changed the Windows Search Explorer to be the default for the Search Protocol.
Now when I search from the Start button, I get the option to "See more results", which when I click on it, presents me with the Windows Search Results window.
Ian_H

Return to General Discussion