Would X1 render more quickly with a better graphics card?

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Would X1 render more quickly with a better graphics card?

Postby Kenward » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:07 am

One of the problems I have with X1 is that it can take time to render PDF files, especially large ones.

I have a pretty cheap graphics card. Would something with more oomph be better?

If so, anything to look for?

Does X1 connect to any fancy display hooks?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: Would X1 render more quickly with a better graphics card?

Postby noel » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi Kenward,

Generally speaking, it is possible to improve rendering performance in the entire X1 UI with a video card upgrade. However, this improvement depends on a few things.

X1 6.7 uses Microsoft's Windows Presentation Foundation technology (WPF) for rendering the UI. WPF uses the concept of Graphics Rendering Tiers to define a video card's hardware capabilities. If you have a video card in a low tier and upgrade to a higher tier, you will definitely see an improvement in rendering for all WPF applications on your system (including X1). However, if you already have a video card in the highest tier (tier 2), you may not see a dramatic improvement. More information on this can be found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms742196.aspx

With that all said, you may still not see a dramatic improvement in rendering of large PDF files (or any large file for that matter). We are aware of the issue that can cause slow preview rendering and it bothers a lot of us here internally. We are working to fix this issue.
Noel Ferreria
noel
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: Would X1 render more quickly with a better graphics card?

Postby Kenward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:45 am

Many thanks for that Noel.

One question that came up somewhere else that I was asking about beefing up the video card was "Does the X1 software support Cuda?"

Not knowing what that was I could not answer. But talk of WPF suggests that I can check that out.

My card is an inexpensive Asus GeForce 8600GT.

On the rendering speed for PDF files, this isn't just an X1 thing. I see it in other software. My guess is that it arises from the technology you buy in for that. Others use the same core technology.

I also plan to put in a faster hard disk, as that should help X1 to get at the index more efficiently. I have things the wrong way round at the moment. The indexed data is on a faster drive than the software.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to General Discussion