How would X1 work with Windows on a Mac?

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

How would X1 work with Windows on a Mac?

Postby Karl84 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:23 pm

I'm thinking of moving to a Mac and running Windows when necessary using virtualization software such as Parallels. If I did one thing I would do is keep running Office for Windows for the foreseeable future. So, I could run X1 in that Windows environment.

Would X1 "see" Mac files in the Mac OS? I guess not.

Would the Mac search utility see Windows files?

Is the Mac search utility for Mac files as powerful as X1 would be for Windows files?
Karl84

Re: How would X1 work with Windows on a Mac?

Postby tjh » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:31 pm

These are all good questions, which I don't think anyone here will be able to answer because if you're using X1, you're using Windows.

If the Mac version of virtulisation is anything like VMware for Windows, it is possible to expose the underlying operating system (i.e. the Mac's) files to the guest VM (the VM running Windows) so I'm sure X1 could see the files. But how well it'd index them? If they're in standard format then I'm sure fine, but I don't think it'd index anything Mac specific.

As I've never used a Mac I can't tell you how Spotlight compares. I get the impression though that Spotlight is a lot like Locate32 for Windows, great at Filename searches but not much else. But, never used it so don't know.

You should give it a try and report back your findings!

Tim
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Karl84 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:01 pm

If I do I will!
Karl84

Postby curtisconkey » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:29 am

I use a program called Parallels to run WIndows 7 on my Mac OS Lion.
X1 does work under Parallels and it can see BOTH MAC and Windows files which is very nice. So I let X1 index both file systems.
However it is sluggish and I do find it frustrating to work with (I have a top end 8 core Mac with 8 Gig of RAM so I believe this is just a function of running through virtualization).

You can also run WIndows 7 in BOOTCAMP mode which means it is running natively (no MAC OS layer) and in that environment it runs as well as on any Windows machine.
However, in BOOTCAMP mode you cannot access the MAC file system only the WIndows files.

I really like working on my MAC but when doing research work I find not having X1 intolerable. MAC Spotlight is good for finding general files but for doing research searches for phrases/key words/etc X1 is in a class of it's own; nothing else comes close. The MAC defenders of Spotlight just really don't understand the power that X1 brings to the table beyond what SPOTLIGHT does.

I really, really,really wish X1 corporate could find a business case for porting X1 to the MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other tool I use for research - Endnote - now has a MAC version.
Curtis
curtisconkey

Postby beery » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi,

About to switch from Windows 7 to MacBook Air. And I'm heavily using X1 to search Lotus Notes.
Any more experience with running X1 with Parallels?

What about using Wine to run X1 on top of Mono? I'll post a different thread on this question.

--Beery
beery

Return to General Discussion