Indexation Keeps Restarting!

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Indexation Keeps Restarting!

Postby steve2497 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:22 am

Hi all - Hopefully someone can advise. I am currently using the trial version of X1 and for some reason the indexing keeps restarting from the beginning again whenever I exit the program and restart it. I have reinstalled the product but still the problem persists. I have searched everywhere and can't find other posts relating to this problem. If I disable all auto indexing and press the manual indexing button, the problem still persists when the program is restarted again. Also if I pause and resume the manual indexing process without exiting and restarting X1 the indexation again starts from the beginning (0% +) when I hit apply.

I am using a top spec sony vaio laptop with solid state drives and on windows 7. The drive being indexed is one of 2 internal solid state drives which are fully encrypted via truecrypt AES 256 bit security and are mounted to the same drive letter on boot - I'm not sure if this could affect things?
steve2497

Re: Indexation Keeps Restarting!

Postby Kenward » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:56 am

steve2497 wrote:Hi all - Hopefully someone can advise. I am currently using the trial version of X1 and for some reason the indexing keeps restarting from the beginning again whenever I exit the program and restart it.

This may be down to the confusing way in which X1 reports the indexing status.

When it says "0%" indexed, it really means "0% of the current indexing session".

It may already have indexed 90% of your files. So,it is saying "0% of the last 10%".

You can check this by looking at one of the searches. Just try a few and see if you can complete a search for something.

For example, go to the "email" bit. How many hits do you see in the status bar? If it is higher than 0 you have got something indexed.

Now try a search within that section and see if it narrows down the number of hits.

If this works, then your system is indexing just fine.

If this experiment does not work, and you really are stuck at 0%, then it may be down to the encryption stuff.

You are not the first person to be confused by this indicator. I may even have written a note about it some time ago.

As yet, the X1 team has not considered it important enough to change the way in which X1 displays this information.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby steve2497 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:01 am

OK, I've just checked and you are right, so at least I know there is no technical problem now.

I must say it seems strange that the total % of all indexation is not shown as it is very confusing, sounds like common sense to have a % of total indexing shown :shock: Is there a way to see this via another means as how will I be able to check if total indexing is 1% or 99% complete?

Thanks for your help
steve2497

Postby Kenward » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:00 am

It may be that X1 does not know how to make that sort of calculation.

For example, if you have, as I do, >120,000 PDF files, X1 would have to count them and calculate their size, before it can make that sort of calculation. That would not be very efficient. X1 currently indexes files as it finds them.

Not quite sure what approach would work, but as you, and other people before you, have found it can now be very confusing.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 am

Steve -

The thing to remember here is that there are several types of indexing operations that X1 will perform:

- Initial indexing - the very first indexing pass for your system
- Incremental "Scheduled" re-indexing - as determined for each type of data based on user configurable settings
- Real-time indexing - unique to Outlook Email and your local disk drive real-time indexing strives to update the index at the moment a file or email already in the index has been modified in some way.

X1 displays the index status in the message at the bottom right-hand corner of the interface. This indexing status display is confusing to some because it starts at zero and runs until it announces that the index was last updated date/time.

The way to look at these various index operations is that each is a "Job" unto itself. And just like your project list at home, each project will begin when it begins and end when it is complete. Some jobs - taking the trash to the curb - may take 1 minute. Others - painting the house - may take several weeks, but each of these "jobs" had a specific start time (zero percent completed) and a specific end time (house last painted on June 6, 2010).

In a sense this is how X1 works. Each index pass, regardless of type, is a job. The job starts at zero percent complete and when done the job is over. Whether that indexing job takes 2 minutes, 2 hours, or 2 days, it will start at zero and run until done.

That does not mean that all indexing is re-indexing all your data. Some jobs are short jobs updating the index only for a few changed items. Other jobs are long jobs creating new indexes or updating a large number of changes to existing items. But in all cases, short or long, the incremental indexing processes serve only to update new or changed items; they are not not rebuilding your entire index.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:22 am

Chris Wheaton wrote:The way to look at these various index operations is that each is a "Job" unto itself. And just like your project list at home, each project will begin when it begins and end when it is complete. Some jobs - taking the trash to the curb

Thanks for confirming my own account of what goes on.

Has anyone thought of changing the status bar message in X1 to hint at this process?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:19 pm

Forgive me, but I thought the fact that it says "Files: Indexing 15% complete" was a hint... Its a message that is trying to alert you to the fact that a form of indexing is underway and what data type (Files, Emails, Calendar, etc) is being indexed.

That said, yes, there is discussion ongoing in regard to improving the messaging as seen n the index status bar.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:49 pm

Chris Wheaton wrote:Forgive me, but I thought the fact that it says "Files: Indexing 15% complete" was a hint...

Have you been reading these messages?

The status text is terminally ambiguous. It may be "a hint" but it is no more help than a clue for a cryptic crossword.

At the moment, X1 is telling me "Outlook E-Mail: Indexing 0.70% complete."

Only a computer programmer would interpret this as meaning that X1 has to index just a handful of messages, which is the case here.

It is only the fact that I know how X1 "thinks" and that the status bar also says that I have 205,927 email, that tells me that X1 has not embarked on a complete index of my email.

Seriously, if you think that the current status bar is informative, then I suggest a little careful thinking about what is going on.

Look back over the archive to find messages with the same question. My guess is that for everyone who turns up here, there are dozens of folks out there who are puzzled but who don't come and ask about it.

Is it important? It could be if someone keeps seeing this 0% message, decides that X1 isn't working on their PC, and fails to buy a license.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Chris Wheaton » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:37 pm

Kenward,

Yes I've been reading the messages and yes I do understand that the message remains confusing, even if your understand the process, by virtue of the fact that you cannot tell what type of index process is under way at the moment.

As I also stated in my reply to you there is consideration being given to providing improved messaging for the indexing status in our next major release. How it will change and what form it will take I do not know now, but I know it is under discussion.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:13 pm

You have probably chewed over many options among yourselves, but how about adding something to the status bar to include a count of stuff already indexed?

At the moment I have:

Outlook Contacts: Indexing 1.80% complete.

The index already has 1,982 entries.

So, make it:

Outlook Contacts: Indexing 1.80% complete – 1,982 entries indexed

Now indexing files:

Files: Indexing 0.06% complete

Better:

Files: Indexing 0.06% complete - 497,946 indexed

After all, there is plenty of room in that bit of the status bar.

That would make it obvious to the casual observer that X1 has already done a lot. And the indexed count is already to hand for your codeheads to pick it up.

Maybe I should run to my patent agent.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to General Discussion