Indexation Errors

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Indexation Errors

Postby steve2497 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:12 am

Hi - I am currently indexing 800,000 files on my internal drives however many files under "indexing status" column are showing errors. One error for some files is "stellent unknown ifilter not installed", on others "text extractor process has died".

I have searched for previous support on this and have only found one forum support post dating back to 2007/2008. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version "X1 ® Professional Client Version 6.7.2
(Build 4054by) (Created: Mon Sep 13 17:50:40 PDT 2010)", and have followed forum support guidance for clean uninstall and reinstall using your registry cleaner file but indexing from the beginning after this did not help.

Can someone please let me know what these errors mean and why?

Thank you
steve2497

Re: Indexation Errors

Postby Kenward » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:49 am

You don't say what type of files cause these errors.

I regularly see errors with PDF files. These are sometimes down to broken files that Adobe Reader can't even open. (I have a "Saved search" to help me to find these.)

The iFilters are, I think, and according to IFilter dot org, the text extraction bits for individual filetypes that X1 buys in from Stellent/Oracle. As the article says, they are also used in other index and search systems.

What puzzles me is that these errors sometimes seem to mean nothing. You can still search for and view the files as expected.

Have you looked to see if these files works in their original software, and if you can still find them in X1?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: Indexation Errors

Postby steve2497 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:52 am

Hi and thanks for responding.

The types of files are a mix of PDF, Excel, and Word. Those with the "text extractor process has died" message can be opened by Adobe or MS Office but do not appear in X1's search results.

So the files are not corrupt, can be opened but for some reason X1 doesn't index them and gives tha above error message.

I have read previously on this forum that moving some of the files and seeing if X1 then indexes those problem files has worked for some user(s), maybe I'll try that if there are no other suggestions here?
steve2497

Return to General Discussion