X1 with a SSD

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

X1 with a SSD

Postby boatrigm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:36 am

Does anyone know if there are any issues with using X1 and a SSD (Solid State Drive)?

I'm concerned about lots of writes to the drive or does it most just read?

Thanks, Mike
boatrigm

Re: X1 with a SSD

Postby tjh » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:15 am

There's a LOT of writes if the SSD is the place you're going to be storing the Index. If you're going to have the Index stored on one drive and the SSD as another, then you'll be fine.
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby boatrigm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks for the info!

-Mike
boatrigm

Postby Kenward » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:41 pm

If you really want x1 to fly, it might be quicker to put the program on a boring old drive and the index on an SSD, which is where all the work happens.

As I discovered when asking for advice on how to make x1 less sluggish.

As tjh says, x1 is a disk intensive beast. So it helps to have the serious stuff on the SSD.

Will this wear out the disk? Too soon to know. But conventional disks have moving bits, which should make them more vulnerable to meltdown.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby askwong » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:37 pm

I've been using X1 with a Lenovo Thinkpad T410 and an user-installed SATA SSD for a few months now. (TRIM supported, with native non-OS specific garbage collection**).
~Before that, I was using the same exact same T410 with the OEM 7200 RPM hard drive (4 GB RAM, WIn7 32-bit).

1. When running X1 with a SSD, X1 is noticeably snappier.
~Initial Indexing is done faster (SSD reads are much faster than HDD), but the bottleneck is X1 index writes into SSD**.

~X1 interface is noticeably snappier when switching between Tabs (eg: switch from [Email] to [Files]). I suspect that X1 needs to read the entire X1 index for the relevant Tab before switching, hence SSD seems to give you snappier Tab switching again due to faster SSD reads.

~All subsequent incremental X1 indexing with SSD is about the same as my regular HDD, ie: no improvement with SSD for this.

~Searching X1 with a SSD does *NOT* give you faster results, because the relevant X1 index already loaded into your computer's RAM, hence SSD or HDD speed does not matter (unless you're very limited on RAM and actually using the hard drive's swap file).

~In Conclusion, you get noticeably snappier X1 UI interface performance and one-off Initial Indexing improvement, but these small benefits alone does not warrant SSD upgrade.
The real benefit is you get snappier Windows performance.

2. Note: '**': There are 2 main concerns using SSD:

2a) Make sure your SSD hard drive has a lot of spare space, otherwise your SSD would wear out prematurely. Imagine your SSD is 80% full right from the start, and your computer keeps writing and re-writing data onto this same 20% of empty SSD space, causing premature wear out. Modern SSD can only do about 5,000 re-writes on each "space" before wearing out. I personally ensure that my SSD is at least double my current hard drive's data (Win7+Programs+Data) for this very reason.

2b) The newer SSD's coming onto market now not only has TRIM support (under Win7), but also has non-OS specific garbage collection.

~If you're using only Win7, it's better to get a new SSD with ONLY TRIM support, with *NO* non-OS specific garbage collection, because non-OS specific garbage collection causes write amplification that theoretically can cause premature wear on your SSD. Imagine just a small 4k write causes SSD to erase/write an entire block of SSD space due to non-OS specific garbage collection. Dare I suggest that Non-OS specific SSD garbage collection is actually bad for Win7+TRIM, causing one additional layer of unnecessary SSD writes, causing unnecessary wear/tear. Time will tell if SSD write amplification due to non-OS specific garbage collection would take its toll or not.

Non-OS specific SSD garbage collection is good for Linux or Mac OS, but X1 supports neither of these. X1 only supports Windows!
SSD with Win7+TRIM is good enough.

I personally consider X1 to be an intense I/O program that causes many writes to your SSD. Just witness your hard drive activity when X1 is indexing your hard drive, and writing X1 index onto your hard drive, especially in the Initial Indexing. The Real Time Indexing (RIT) for both files and emails also take its toll.

2c) Finally, as an aside, some users save money, buy a small SSD just for boot drive and programs (and X1 index), and another regular HDD drive for user data.
Lower cost overall, and you get much of the SSD speed benefit still!
(Note: This may not work on a notebook computer--two hard drives would your notebook battery life very quickly! SSD drives are actually VERY power consuming when doing intensive read/writes, but are somewhat offset by their lower idling power consumption).

3) Here's a very good modern SSD review, actually the exact SSD model I'm using:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4010/king ... 100-review

Finally, we are just fellow users sharing real life experience on using SSD with other users! I don't work for Kingston, don't work for X1, don't work for Anandtech.
askwong
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby shapirojm » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:53 pm

Looking for an update from anyone who has been using X1 on an SSD. I've just upgraded to a Samsung 830 SSD and I'm going to try X1 with it. Some non-X1 forum posts warn against this due to excessive read/write activity reducing drive lifespan on an SSD, but others say that the concern has been alleviated by newer drive firmware that better distributes read/write operations across the drive memory (I don't see how reads would wear the memory, as opposed to writes anyway). I don't buy that indexing is unnecessary with an SSD, as some argue, due to speed increases because searching file content for a word/phrase would be much less efficient without indexing software, and the Windows 7 interface for displaying search results is nowhere near as good as X1.

I'd really like to hear from someone who is using X1 in this manner (not hypothetical thoughts on the pros/cons) and whether the drive lifespan report in the SSD management software shows any degradation.
shapirojm

Postby rkr3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:08 pm

@shapirojm -- did you try out X1 with your SSD? Would love to know what you think, since I've just put in an SSD in my notebook as well. I'm running my old spindle drive in my optical bay, and haven't changed the X1 index location to the SSD. Still in two minds as to whether I should or not.
rkr3

Postby shapirojm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:03 pm

I've been running X1 on my Samsung 830 SSD for several months, and there haven't been any issues with it that I can tell. Although I've had some problems with the X1 betas, none of these seems related to the SSD. The second drive in the machine is a rotational drive, also set to index under X1, and that's also handled with no apparent problems.
shapirojm

Postby rkr3 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:45 am

So your X1 index is on the SSD, right? is the performance greatly improved from when you had the X1 index on the rotational disk earlier?

I still haven't moved my index to the SSD, but definitely would if there are major improvements in searching speed when using X1.
rkr3

Postby askwong » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:53 am

Just an update, we've been running X1 with a Lenovo Thinkpad T410 and an user-installed SATA SSD for 21 months now and doing fine ;)

We bit the bullet and bought a large capacity SSD (512 GB), which had contained Windows, X1, and all our data in it.
Our entire Windows+Programs+Data is only about 256 GB, so about 50% full back when we first started.

Please be aware that if your SSD drive is almost full, all the new SSD-write operations will be performed on the remaining [b]free disk space[/b], potentially reducing your useful SSD life. (SSD-reads don't really wear out your SSD, unlike its hard drive counterparts).

Hope this helps!
askwong
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to General Discussion