regex search

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

regex search

Postby ppx1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:23 am

Is regex search / pattern search ever going to be supported in X1?

As X1 builds an index of all files, it should be pretty easy to implement regex search. Searching the help file on regex returns no hit however.
ppx1

Re: regex search

Postby Kenward » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:32 am

The idea of adding regex first came up in 2003! That's according to "Search Forums with X1".

It rears its head from time to time.

That search shows no sign of any response from anyone at X1.

You might have more luck if you say what you want to use it for and why the existing arrangements don't work for what you want to achieve.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby jackvio » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:53 am

if I can't have regex (and I could understand the expense making it working *within* file content, but even just for file names it would have immense power), I would take a just a "begins with" operator, similar to ^ in regex, even if it only worked in the name-type (file name, path name etc, but not file-content) fields. So while searching for y in say the file name field returns all file names that contain a word that begins with y, searching for ^y would return all file names that begin with y (e.g. it would return a file named "yellow and blue" but not a file named "blue and yellow").
Last edited by jackvio on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackvio

Postby Kenward » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:48 am

My guess is that supporting regex would be a move in a completely different direction for X1.

If is is search that you want, rather than index and search, Directory Opus is a pretty powerful tool.

I know that there are other search tools out there, but this one adds a lot of the features that you would have to get as separate utilities.

The main drawback is that it has a steep learning curve.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby jackvio » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks, Kenward. I am going to download Directory Opus right now and try it out on some of the stuff underlying my desire for regex in X1.

Granting your point that adding regex may take X1 in the wrong direction, given company's goals for it, I would still add that the "begins with" operator that I described above would add a heck of a lot of value. Moreover, I do not think it would stand out among the other X1 operators/connectives (rather would fit in nicely), and would be just as simple to use as the others or simpler (I imagine many X1 users have not worked much with Boolean operators and get confused about how they combine. Though I think the documentation on these is pretty much a paradigm of explanation on how to use them, and how they combine, to the naive).
jackvio

Postby Kenward » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:32 am

I agree that a "begins with" operator would be very useful.

While I use Boolean searches where appropriate, the nature of my work is such that I can usually rely on a careful use of the various columns and slots that X1 offers. This is another feature that people use less than they might.

I doubt if DOpus is really suited just for finding things. It is just too powerful – and expensive – to justify that use alone. (I used to use FindOnClick a lot.) However, it contains powerful versions of many of the utilities that you often end up buying. For example, it has an impressive rename regime that can also use Regex. But there too the learning curve can be steep.

The good thing is that DOpus has a fine and helpful user forum. You can get answers to most questions very quickly.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mrwul » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:59 pm

Up front: I know this is a an old thread. Found this because I was searching for any posts on X1 regex support.

Anyway, if it comes to finding FILES only (i.e. name of files) then Everything (Voidtools) could help. It has an option to search using regex.

=
=

AFAIK regex is not supported by X1.

Frankly speaking, I am not sure it ever will...
=

p.s.: maybe this thread should be transferred to a v8 forum
=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to General Discussion