Searche a folder - I must be missing something.

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Searche a folder - I must be missing something.

Postby everso » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:05 am

Hi all,

I have just bought a laptop and it has X1 installed (X1 ® Enterprise Client Version 5.6.1 - (Build 3408) (Created: Fri Dec 15 07:56:18 PST 2006) and is running Windows 7.

I really like the look of it - it seems to actually find things unlike the built in windows search. One thing I can not work out if how I search a folder. Say I want to look for files with "target" in the name - but only folder "C:\folder name\sub folder". How on earth do I do it? I have searched all over and as far as I can see I either search all my local hard disks or nothing. This can't be right can it?

Can any one point me to a relevant FAQ or help page because I can't find this anywhere?

Everso
everso

Re: Searche a folder - I must be missing something.

Postby Kenward » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:26 am

Unfortunately, whoever wrote the Help file for X1 didn't see any need to create an index. (Odd for a company that lives and dies by indexing.) So finding things like this is not as easy as it might be.

Trying to find "path", for example, gets nothing relevant to your query. However, the way to refine this search is to use the "path" column.

This should be visible at the top of the window. (It is there in the "hardwired" search "Files".) If you are in a search that doesn't have that slot, right click the columns, pick the "columns" menu and add "Path".

Enter the word in the filename in the "Name" slot, and then the name of the subfolder in "Path" and it will home in on the right location.

One thing you will quickly discover is that it helps to have a logical folder structure. This is always a good idea anyway, but it is even more help when you want to unleash X1 on your files.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to General Discussion