If indexing recommences, does it continue or restart

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

If indexing recommences, does it continue or restart

Postby csalsa » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:16 am

I work in a hotdesking office where I use a laptop and X1. I like hotdesking but it means that my laptop is only on, and X1 has the opportunity to index, when I am using my laptop. As I move about the office during the day, I am disconnecting and reconnecting to wired and wireless networks several times a day. If I am not using my laptop, I typically pack it away.

I index a lot of files that I keep on my private workspace hosted on the network (everyone has their own private workspace). So X1 is stopping and starting it's indexing as I disconnect and reconnect to the wired/wireless network. Before hotdesking, I used to leave my laptop secured to the desk and set it to index overnight. Obviously this is now not an option, where you take your laptop when leave your desk. That is 'hotdesking'.

Is there a 'best' way to use X1 in such an environment? If X1 is indexing files or emails, and it is interrupted, then when it recommences indexing again, does it remember where it got to? Does indexing remember where it got to and continue from there or does it restart from the beginning?
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: If indexing recommences, does it continue or restart

Postby Kenward » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:42 am

csalsa wrote:If X1 is indexing files or emails, and it is interrupted, then when it recommences indexing again, does it remember where it got to? Does indexing remember where it got to and continue from there or does it restart from the beginning?

Yes. X1 picks up where it left off. But this is for local files.

I find that it is less good at recalling where it was if I ask X1 to index files on a USB drive.

I am also talking about Outlook using PSTs rather than on Exchange.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to General Discussion