Looking for tips for faster indexing

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Looking for tips for faster indexing

Postby sparky » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:09 am

Hi

I'm a newbee and have just installed X1 on my laptop and am looking forward to using the program as efficiently as possible.

I use an external USB2.0 hardrive (Toshiba 1Tb) which currently has about 90Gb of scanned OCRd pdf documents which I want to use as a "library" and about 20Gb of other project related data.

The initial indexing took a couple of days and I was wondering what the optimal configuration would be, which would also depend on how X1 indexed files.

For instance, once a directory/file has been indexed does it need to be re-indexed if no changes have been made since the last indexing operation? Does this mean that subsequent re-indexes will be much faster? Do manual indexing and scheduled re-indexing follow the same process or is manual re-indexing restart the process from scratch ignoring previous indeces?

There also seems to be an option to index local files in real time. Would this ensure that the local indexes were always up to date and minmize/avoid the need for scheduled re-indexing? However, it seems that it can not be applied to an external USB harddrive because this could have data added when uncoupled from the laptop. Would indexing be much faster if library and project data were copied onto the laptop's internal hardrive?

Any suggestions will be welcome

Many thanks
sparky

Re: Looking for tips for faster indexing

Postby Kenward » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:45 am

You should not need to worry about indexing regimes after X1 has done its thing first time around.

It will keep track of what it needs to do. After the first index run, things should be much quicker.

Then again, I have never really understood how it works with USB drives.

Does it remember the status of that drive when your PC is on and the drive is not connected?

If not, then my comments may not apply.

Whether you tell X1 to index in real time or not is down to you. If it doesn't slow the POC, then let it work in real time. (I do.)

One thing to beware is that the indexing indicator is not a good guide to the status of the indexing process. The "% completed" message is not a measure of how much of your data needs indexing, but a measure of how much work there is to do in the current run.

So, if it says 50% indexed, it may mean that is has indexed 50% of the 5% of files that are not yet in the index.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby sparky » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:06 am

Thanks Kenward,

The third set of indexing was much quicker. During the first two, which lasted about about four days, I "hibernated" my machine while commuting between home and the office so that X1 could carry on indexing without interruption.
sparky

Postby Kenward » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:17 am

If you really do mean "hibernated", as Windows defines it, then X1 won't have done any indexing. As Microsoft describes it "hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer".

But as you have found, X1 gets quicker as it works through the files. Quite how long it takes depends on how many files you want indexed.

As I said, overnight is usually a good trick, but turn off the Windows option for the machine to hibernate after a set time.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to General Discussion