ID3 MP3 tags

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

ID3 MP3 tags

Postby Advait » Sun May 13, 2012 1:22 am

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a Win7 64bit laptop. Does the X1 desktop search tool index ID3 tags (MP3 tags)? I want to be able to locate files by searching for their ID3 tags. For example: "Find all MP3 files in xyz directory that have "abc*" as the artist." (* = wildcard). Can X1 do this kind of search? Or is a plugin required? Thanks!

Tom C
Advait

Re: ID3 MP3 tags

Postby junewright » Mon May 14, 2012 6:10 am

You can do such a search with X1. Check all the options
junewright

Postby Kenward » Wed May 16, 2012 8:46 am

As far as I can see, X1 does NOT index mp3 tags.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Advait » Wed May 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Hmmm.... This is a tough one. Should I believe the person with 1 post or the person with 3,000 posts? :P

Thanks for the info. I need a tool that definitely indexes MP3 ID3 tags and looks like X1 does not do that.

Kind Regards,

Advait
Advait

Postby Kenward » Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 am

Being around a lot guarantees nothing.

I tested this by using the built-in search for music files. I then looked for all of the columns that might hold info on mp3 tags.

Adding these to the view showed me that none of the tagged files I looked at showed anything in the tags column.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Tod » Fri May 18, 2012 1:14 pm

There is no specific column for the MP3 tag info, but the scanner does pick up most if not all of the information, but stores it in the more general "content" column. I put quotes around that, because since you can use the column search to search against content, you can't expose the content column, other than by what you see in the preview window.

As a test, if I go to my File search, add mp3 to the Document Type column, I can see my MP3 files and I can see preview in the right hand column. Taking, for example, an MP3 of Lisztomania by Phoenix on their album "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix", I can enter some of those terms in the main search box. In this case, I search for "Wolfgang Amadeus" and get a hit as expected, since this tag info is indeed indexed.

To prove where the data is coming from, I can search for content:"wolfgang amadeus" and see that indeed this data is coming from the content of this item. But I can look at the data that's within the preview window and see that it's listed as
Album: Wolfgang Amadeus Phonix, so I could also search for "album wolfgang amadeus" and get a hit, or alternatively, album NEAR amadeus, and get a hit. So, I can use the fact that the word Album is indexed near the album name to filter even more finely. This isn't as perfect as having a dedicated column, but it's definitely helpful.

Cheers,
Tod

...and, Kenward, being around a lot guarantees nothing, but it definitely helps :D
Tod
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Sat May 19, 2012 1:52 pm

When this question came up I consulted the help file. It says nothing about tags or mp3.

As an aside, in general, X1 has one of the least useful Help files I have come across. No index, and "Search" that delivers very little. Ironic for a search company.

Tod's explanation also suggests to me that indexing and searching on mp3 tags is not a high priority. It shouldn't take tricks like that. Search simplification is what columns are for.

I still have no idea what the suggestion to "Check all the options" means. What options? Indexing mp3 files is in there as an extension, but finding them?

I haven't looked at how the "opposition" deals with mp3 tags. Nor is this something that I see in X1's mainstream are, the business world. But the ability to index and find tags easily would be a great tool for some people.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to General Discussion