Launching problems

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Launching problems

Postby punga44 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi
Two problems. Current Ver 6.7.4 (has been happening with all versions on several computers over two years
Problem 1
I have to make 1-3 attempts to launch X1. For the last month its consistently been 3 attempts (I have to wait 2-3 minutes between each attempt because nothing happens if I attempt immediately) For the last 2 days its been 1 attempt - Yay!.... but this usually lasts for a few days then reverts to 2-3 attempts again. This has been going on for two years in spite of several re-installations and upgrades following detailed instructions to remove ALL components etc of X1
Problem 2
Each time I launch X1 the search box has reduced in size to about 1mm wide and the refine search panes have disappeared. It was suggested when I close X1 I use file/exit which I have done.
Thanks in advance
punga44

Re: Launching problems

Postby Kenward » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:03 am

I wonder if this could be due to an incomplete shutdown of X1?

Could it be that Windows is forcing X1 to close before it has completed its 'house cleaning'?

I say this because here at least a strange display configuration has sometimes been the result of a broken .ini file. These two seem to be especially important, X1Config.ini and X1IndexService.ini.

Likewise startup issues can be because X1 is repairing files at startup.

When you have these delayed launch attempts, does Task Manager show that X1 is doing stuff?
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby punga44 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Kenward - Much appreciation for your reply
I had looked at the activity in task manager and have revisited it after your comments and have done some more experimenting

After starting computer - X1 launch at startup - OFF

After launching attempt. Activity in X1service.exe goes on for 3-10 minutes and percentage CPU usage varies from 3-8%

After 3-10 minutes when cpu activity stops but X1 not launched

After launching

Error message which occasionally appears.

This could be significant - I managed to launch X1 exited, and did a computer restart and was able to launch it after 1st attempt and all search boxes appeared, But after a shutdown I had to go through several attempts and then got no boxes.

I'd be interested to hear if this shows any light on the subject

cheers
Dimitri
punga44

Postby Kenward » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Sorry, I can't add much to my earlier suggestions.

It seems that my thoughts may not be completely off beam. But coming up with a way to deal with the issue is outside out of my depth.

I'd be tempted to look into things going on in Windows that might cause it to close things down less than gracefully.

Which version of Windows? This is the sport of thing I expect with something like XP, not that I am accusing you of using a 10-year old, 20th century, operating system.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby punga44 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:47 am

Thanks again.
Quelle Horreur XP!!?? No - definitely W7.
Yes I think you're onto it. I've had the same sort of error on another machine running XP - maybe its the air down here?
I'm pretty sure the program lost the plot on the XP machine when it was looking for Outlook which I deleted after installation, leaving Thunderbird. I still dont have Outlook so I'm wondering if its possibly related?
Thanks again again
punga44

Postby Kenward » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:36 am

You don't have Outlook?

How dare you?

Does anything look out of order in the email indexing area?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby ngg71 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

I have exactly, I mean exactly the same problem: 3 attempts before x1 starts and have towait few minutes between each restart and Each time I launch X1 the search box has reduced in size to about 1mm wide and the refine search panes have disappeared.
ngg71

Postby punga44 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:46 am

That is exactly what is happening to me!! A total pain and tedious especially when you need to find a file and have to go through the multiple launch process. Over the last few years I've gone through the X1 directed procedure for total removal of X1 and reinstallation to have the same thing happen again. This has happened on at least 2 of the last computers I've owned. I've lost faith in the ability of X1 to work and cant get help anymore but dont want to renew my help license in case they cant fix the problem - which is what has been happening over the last few years.
Do you or did you have Outlook installed?
Looking forward to hearing from you ngg71 on this topic
Dimitri
punga44

Postby punga44 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:49 am

Kenward wrote:You don't have Outlook?

How dare you?

Does anything look out of order in the email indexing area?

No I dont have Outlook Kenward - (head hanging down in shame!)

Everything looks fine in the email indexing area
punga44

Postby Chris Wheaton » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:28 am

punga44 and ngg71,

I would like to first comment about the fact that your maintenance is expired and you do not want to renew if the product is performing poorly.

Our maintenance is a lot like Auto or Life insurance if you will. You may not need it - until you need it; and then you're glad its in affect. Obviously I encourage all of our clients to carry our maintenance, now Software Assurance, as it provides access to technical support when you need it most.

That said, I also subscribe to the "Technical Support Hippocratic Oath" which is "First Help the Customer ". Feel free to file a support case through Help > Report a bug or here:https://www.x1.com/support/submit-case.

As to the actual matter at hand. X1 has seen this "minimal" UI size issue off and on for a number of users. Typically this is seen after a system crash or other form of "hard" shutdown. Do either of you routinely power off with your Power button? If so let me say that this is not a "best practices" thing to do and using the Start Button shutdown option is preferred.

As Kenward indicated this is connected to invalid data in the INI file(s).

Typically, if you can grab an edge of the UI you can click and drag it out wide enough to maximize the UI back to normal.

Once that is done, if the search tabs are missing the following should help restore those:
http://help.x1.com/entries/21092558-con ... earch-tabs

Finally it is not uncommon in this case for the main Search box to be collapsed. Here again, if you can grab the right edge of the box you can click and drag it back into shape.

With all this configuring done, that is the time to use File > Exit to close the X1 interface. Watch the Task Manager Processes list for X1.exe and X1Service.exe to terminate. At that point you can relaunch X1 and the interface should launch "normal" size.

If X1 does launch properly I would, as a safety net, make a copy of the X1Config.ini to a secondary directory for backup purposes. If the UI becomes minimal again, simply File > Exit - then replace the damaged INI with a copy of the backup INI, relaunch X1 and you should be in business.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby punga44 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Chris Thanks for your reply

The main problem is having to make 3 attempts to launch X1 - Very time consuming because you have to wait several minutes between attempts so it takes a minimum of 10-15 minutes to launch but usually it takes an hour or two as I usually start doing something else.
The problem kept happening from the start when X1 was still under maintenance. I have uninstalled numerous times following the detailed instructions and executing various scripts provided by support. It also happened after installing on my new computer. I dont want to renew the subscription because there is no guarantee the product will work as it wouldn't work under the original service contract. I think its a great product and am very frustrated by all this and will only use X1 if I really have to because of the launching issue. Is there any possibility the problem is related to not having Outlook installed. Initially it kept looking for Outlook after installation and the crashing (with older versions)and launching problem started.

I always shut X1 down using the file exit method. I realise the IU box can be opened with the mouse. I can live with this as well as the fact the search boxes for the individual columns are never there on launching. Just mildly irritating. I will try using the ini file replacing method if I can sort the launching problem.
Regards
Dimitri
punga44

Postby Chris Wheaton » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Dimitri - These follow on questions are specifically why I want you to submit a case. I want a set of X1 diagnostic files attached to the case so that i can look for clues to what the issue might be; assuming of course that X1 continues to behave as you have indicated.

As I said to a poster the other day; X1 like any entity is constantly learning. Something I may have no idea how to address a year ago I may now have complete understanding of that issue and can provide better service to you.

Submit a case or not at your discretion
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby punga44 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:32 pm

Something I've just noticed.
If I exit X1 then restart it it will restart in a few seconds with no problems (no collapsed IU or refine search boxes) - absolutely WONDERFUL! I did it several times to savor the moment!

BUT if I exit then shutdown the computer, when I restart - same old problem!!
punga44

Postby punga44 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks Chris
I have submitted a case. I hadn't realized I could do this as my support had expired.
Thanks
Dimitri
punga44

Postby Kenward » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:51 am

punga44 wrote:Something I've just noticed.
If I exit X1 then restart it it will restart in a few seconds with no problems (no collapsed IU or refine search boxes) - absolutely WONDERFUL! I did it several times to savor the moment!

Are you sure that you are using a complete shutdown, not just a disappearing act?

If it is just the former, then X1 will not close and write everything to the ini files.

If you have the X1 icon visible in the Notification Area/System Tray, "Exit (Stop Indexing)" will close the whole caboodle. And it is worth watching this happen in Windows Task Manager to see that X1.exe really has shutdown completely.

I mention this because it has been known to happen in the past.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Chris Wheaton » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:52 am

Dimitri - As I said, I always look after the client first. Am I giving you one for free here... yes I am. Do I anticipate a support renewal purchase may come from our efforts? I sure hope so. But the choice will be yours. If you remain expired your free to continue to self-support and look for assistance in the Forums and our on KB site (www.help.x1.com). But I'm sure you also see that self-support has its limitations; there is only so much I and our moderators can do here.

I look forward to reviewing your case a bit later this morning.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Return to General Discussion