Two simple Questions

This forum is to discuss general things about X1.

Moderator: Mods

Two simple Questions

Postby ACon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:07 am

Hi, I hope you can help me and answer 2 simple questions (I searched, but couldn't find answers)

1) Does X1 have to start with Windows to index? Or can I uncheck that option and will it still index?

2) Is there any downside to changing the location of my indexing files to another drive (other than c:/ which hosts my Win 7 OS)? I am thinking of moving it to one of my backup drives.

Thanks,
Alex
ACon

Re: Two simple Questions

Postby Kenward » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:44 am

ACon wrote:1) Does X1 have to start with Windows to index? Or can I uncheck that option and will it still index?

X1 has an "indexing engine" that works in the background. It needs to be able to build an index of all of your files. This takes time.

So it is usually best to let X1 start with Windows if you want your index to be up to date.

You can stop this happening, but then your use of X1 may be hobbled by the incomplete index. And when you do start X1 it will thrash around as it tries to catch up.

The usual advice, well mine anyway, is to set X1 to do its initial index at a time when you don't want to do much on your PC, possibly even overnight.

If you have only a small amount of email and a handful of files, then ignore this suggestion. X1 will have little trouble handling youre data.

There are various index settings that you can adjust within X1 to suit your needs.

ACon wrote:2) Is there any downside to changing the location of my indexing files to another drive (other than c:/ which hosts my Win 7 OS)? I am thinking of moving it to one of my backup drives.

There can actually be upsides to this strategy, but only if your index is on a drive that provides better performance than the main drive.

Not knowing what you mean by "backup drives", it is hard to know if you would gain anything. If it is a drive in your PC, and one with plenty of space, to avoid disk thrashing, then no problem. But if it is an external drive of some sort, or one that has limited space, then you probably won't gain much.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby ACon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks, I will let it start with Windows for now. For some reason, X1 was not indexing overnight when I had it set to index at 2:00am every night. If I upload 30-40 photos (jpgs), they would not be indexed for days. I could find all my files from the initial index, but nothing was picked up afterwards. I finally disabled my Microsoft Search engine, set X1 as default, and set X1 to start with Windows. Not sure if all 3 of those procedures were needed. I do have X1 to index in the "most aggressive" mode and not wait for idle time (that has always been set that way). This worries me that X1 is not indexing my new files every night.

As far as another drive for indexing files...I have my Win 7 64-bit OS on my c:\ drive which is an SSD drive (very fast, but limited space). I have 4 other internal hard drives for photo and video editing/storage. Two are SATA 6 gb/s standard hard drives (1 or 2 TB storage), one, is a SATA 3 gb/s drive, and the fourth is another SSD drive on a 6 gb/s port (only 60 gb storage). I am thinking of moving my X1 indexing files to the other SSD drive - it should be just as fast as my main drive and is only used for temporary file downloading. I'll give it a try unless there is some reason to keep these files on my main OS drive.

Thanks.
ACon

Postby Kenward » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:49 am

You shouldn't have any problem if you move the index from one SSD to another. If anything, it might be quicker.

With a complicated setup like yours, you need to check that you have set X1 to index all of the locations and filetypes that you need.

jpgs should be easy. Without any text, X1 should just index filenames. If you set X1 to index files in realtime, it should be instantaneous.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby ACon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:04 am

Ken,

Thanks again. I do have all my drives set to index all files. I did notice one thing that I hope is an easy toggle to change somehwere.

It seems that the naming structure of my file impacts if I can find it in X1. For example, a photo called "test_123456.jpg" can be found if I search either "test" or "123456". However, if my photo is called "test123456.jpg" I cannot find it if I search "123456", but I can find it if I search "test". Is there a setup option or a search command where I can find a photo by using the numbers in the photo file only, and not including any text?

Thanks again,
Alex
ACon

Postby Chris Wheaton » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:40 am

ACon - Your example file name - test_12345.jpg is seen as a file name of two words. Word one is test, word two is 12345.

It is because X1 is a prefixed based search tool - and also because of the use of the underscore or dash in the file name - that you can find the file using test and 12345 but not test12345.

Now if the file name was test12345.jpg you could search for it and find it with any of these entries

t
te
tes
test
test1
test12

etc.

Prefix search assumes a wildcard at the end of the search string so a search for the letter T equates to T* and so on. You might review our Quick Start Guide for more basic information http://www.x1.com/download/quickstart.pdf.

I hope the above is helpful for you.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby ACon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:24 am

Hi Chris - yes helpful, and I understand. I am familiar with other search tools/engines that can locate files based on a search using any series of characters/numbers in the file name. Such as locating the file "DSC123456.jpg" from a search of "12345". I have over 200,000 photos on my system, most of which are in the "DSC_123456" format and, therefore, easily searched with X1. However, I also have thousands of edited photos that use letters and numbers in the file name, with no break or underscore (i.e., AAA123456.jpg). In this case, the letters are not significant, but the numbers still designate the photo name. How can I search for all photos in all my drives that are based on the same number (photo name)? I tried *12345 and that did not work. Is this just not possible with X1?

Thanks,
Alex
ACon

Postby Chris Wheaton » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:36 am

Alex,

What you're looking for is full Wildcard searching - *1234* - which is not supported in X1.

A few suggestions - and I'm sure some of these come to mind without prompting by me:

- Name all the jpgs more consistently to either aaa12345 or use the underscore style consistently. Use of the Underscore seems the preferred method if only because it will be easier for you to search with X1.

- Rename all aaa12345 files to aaa_12345 files.

I would do this using X1 File Search tab. In the Document type column enter Jpg. Then sort by file name. This, I would think, would put all the aaa12345s at the top making it relatively easy to find the files that need to be renamed.

It might take a bit of labor to make the changes, but once done and once you adopt the consistent naming convention that makes searching with X1 most productive you should be a happy camper as they say.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:20 pm

I'm with Chris on devising a naming strategy – for files and folders – that works well with X1, or any other index and search tool that takes your fancy. Unless you can find software that can index and find files. There are plenty of programs out there that can find things depending on their filename, but that is a much slower process than "index and find".

When it comes to renaming a load of existing files, there are plenty of tools out there. I use DOpus, from GPSoftware, file management software that comes with a host of features, including rename that can use "regex", regular expressions. Not for the squeamish but very powerful.

There are people who advocate using regex for searching within X1 and other software. But that is a different kettle of fish.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to General Discussion