X1 Search 8.5 Beta Release 5 Build 6001os

Please post all issues related to X1 Search 8 Releases here!

Moderator: Mods

X1 Search 8.5 Beta Release 5 Build 6001os

Postby Michael Devin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:42 pm

Hello forum community,

We are pleased to announce the next beta release of X1 Search 8.5 (Build 6001os).

This 8.5 beta release (Build 6001os) builds upon forum feedback to the previous beta releases, and includes the features and enhancements listed out immediately below. For a comprehensive list of all enhancements part of the 8.5 beta thus far, please see the bottom of this post. Please download soon and we look forward to your continued feedback.

You can download the beta MSI installer here:
32 bit: http://download.x1.com/downloads/search/beta_8_5/6001os/X1Search32.msi
64 bit: http://download.x1.com/downloads/search/beta_8_5/6001os/X1Search.msi

You can also use the bootstrapper to install (you may already have this from the previous betas):
http://download.x1.com/downloads/search/beta_8_5/X1SearchSetup_Beta_8_5.exe

Search 8.5 6001os Beta Release Notes

• Fixed the Post Search Actions (PSAs) for partially cached mailboxes
• Improved indexing speeds with indexing core fix for indexing large files
• Restored functionality to the Outlook Contacts connector
• Added support for OneDrive using MSGraph
• Fixed a bug that caused the Files scanner to Cancel when encountering some MSG files
• Fixed assorted other crashes discussed on the forums
• General UI enhancements

Full X1 Search 8.5 beta release notes:

• Fixed a bug introduced in Beta 1 that prevented launch of X1 on non-English OS
• Fixed a bug that caused temp files to build up while scanning MSG files on the filesystem
• Fixed a bug that caused a tag interface to display when it should not
• Fixed a crash in the X1 index engine when updating index items
• Fixed a crash in the X1 index engine when indexing large XLS files
• Newly designed application flyout menu and application settings pages
• Send by Email post-search action now populates the subject with the names of the files
• GPO to ignore PST warnings when they’re not available (i.e. on offline network shares)
• GPO to automatically select MS Exchange online archive for indexing
• Improved Outlook scanner stability when entering sleep / hibernation
• Outlook 2013/2016 support for indexing offline content from folders that are partially cached
• Fixed the preview zoom to support high-definition 4k monitors
• Fixed all application icons to support high-definition 4k monitors
• Added configurable hotkeys for saved searches in the navigation panel
• Additional hotkeys for common UI tasks - E.g. Alt+D to focus the main search box
• IMAP Plugin: Fixed a problem with opening attachments and added “Download Attachment” Post-Search Action
• Allow main window width to become half-screen when the preview is on the bottom, or turned off
• Indicate max document size limit for indexing in the Files Options dialog
• Added option to disable “fast-as-you-type” search and replace with a traditional search button
• Stability fixes when indexing network PSTs. Ability to turn off warning dialog when they’re not available.
• Rapid: adjust timeout when searching against Rapid server
• Rapid: ensure proper sort order is executed against Rapid server

As a summary, at your request we have added a series of hotkeys listed below:

• Alt+D to focus to the main search box
• Ctrl+Alt+O - Options dialog
• Ctrl+Alt+D - Data Sources dialog
• Ctrl+Alt+A - About dialog
• Ctrl+Alt+H - Online help
• Ctrl+Alt+R - Set preview right
• Ctrl+Alt+B - Set preview bottom
• Ctrl+Alt+F - Set preview off

Also, the searches in the navigation tree/favorites bar will have configurable shortcuts, with the defaults being set as:

• Email: Ctrl+Shift+E
• Inbox: Ctrl+Shift+I
• Sent Items: Ctrl+Shift+S
• Attachments: Ctrl+Shift+T
• Files: Ctrl+Shift+F
• Documents: Ctrl+Shift+D
• Pictures: Ctrl+Shift+P
• Music: Ctrl+Shift+M
• Calendar: Ctrl+Shift+Q
• Tasks: Ctrl+Shift+K
• Contacts: Ctrl+Shift+C
• All: Ctrl+Shift+A

Thanks again for your continued support, and please keep the feedback coming. We look forward to a GA release in early 2017.

Best,

Mike
Michael Devin

Re: X1 Search 8.5 Beta Release 4 Build 6001os

Postby afei0912 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:30 am

Thanks for releasing. Can't survive without X1 !
But one question - http://download.x1.com/downloads/search/beta_8_5/6001le/X1Search.msi

Isn't that supposed to under 6001os folder ?
afei0912

Re: X1 Search 8.5 Beta Release 4 Build 6001os

Postby Kenward » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:38 am

Added support for OneDrive using MSGraph

Hooray.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Re: X1 Search 8.5 Beta Release 5 Build 6001os

Postby swhx1 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:34 am

Installing via 64 bit: http://download.x1.com/downloads/search ... Search.msi did not work. failed. I installed it from the bootstrapper link and that seemed to work. It was quite a slow (5 min?) install and my computer is very fast and I am on 50/50 fiber connection. During the install session (at the end) it noted "installing additional resources.." no idea what that meant. So far everything seems to be working...I did confirm that I am now running 6001os 64 bit

this "button" is Missing: Added option to disable “fast-as-you-type” search and replace with a traditional search button. there is some placeholder for a button I think to the left of the current search box (to the right of the hamburger menu) but it appears to be not showing up. If you roll mouse over it a outline appears but not sure what it is. only guessing
Windows 10 Home 64 bit | Intel core i5-6400 cpu
swhx1

Postby cscott » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:50 pm

swhx1 wrote:Installing via 64 bit: http://download.x1.com/downloads/search ... Search.msi did not work. failed. I installed it from the bootstrapper link and that seemed to work. It was quite a slow (5 min?) install and my computer is very fast and I am on 50/50 fiber connection. During the install session (at the end) it noted "installing additional resources.." no idea what that meant. So far everything seems to be working...I did confirm that I am now running 6001os 64 bit

this "button" is Missing: Added option to disable “fast-as-you-type” search and replace with a traditional search button. there is some placeholder for a button I think to the left of the current search box (to the right of the hamburger menu) but it appears to be not showing up. If you roll mouse over it a outline appears but not sure what it is. only guessing

Hi swhx1,

This option is available from the Main Menu in the Options menu under the Search pane. Deselecting the checkbox for "Search as you type" and hitting the "Apply Changes" button should grant you the behavior you're looking for.
Chris Scott
Product Manager
X1
cscott
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby swhx1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:26 pm

cscott wrote:
swhx1 wrote:Installing via 64 bit: http://download.x1.com/downloads/search ... Search.msi did not work. failed. I installed it from the bootstrapper link and that seemed to work. It was quite a slow (5 min?) install and my computer is very fast and I am on 50/50 fiber connection. During the install session (at the end) it noted "installing additional resources.." no idea what that meant. So far everything seems to be working...I did confirm that I am now running 6001os 64 bit

Hi swhx1,

This option is available from the Main Menu in the Options menu under the Search pane. Deselecting the checkbox for "Search as you type" and hitting the "Apply Changes" button should grant you the behavior you're looking for.

Nope no such option on my menu https://goo.gl/photos/vRVc5YmnmDHN6KYb7

swhx1

Postby Kenward » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Nope. Not here either.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby hydrokiwi » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:14 am

So how is the new Beta working out.

I installed the last one and after problems with indexing hangup/completion issues I went back to the last commercial release.

Is the indexing issue fixed? Other issues?

Cheers
John
hydrokiwi

Postby Kenward » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:46 am

hydrokiwi wrote:Is the indexing issue fixed?

"Indexing issue" could be anything with indexing software. My experience is that the previous beta worked fine, albeit with a few hangs that required a restart.

I have not see any issues with the new version. It does seem a bit quicker on the uptake, but the search box still loses focus after typing in a few characters.

As experiences clearly depend on many things, the only way to see if it is fixed for you is to try it.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby masta blasta » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:20 pm

hydrokiwi wrote:So how is the new Beta working out.

I installed the last one and after problems with indexing hangup/completion issues I went back to the last commercial release.

Is the indexing issue fixed? Other issues?

Cheers
John

can cautiously confirm that the issues you are referring to appear to be fixed. indexing completed on my end without hangup/completion issues.
masta blasta

Postby Jogy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:14 am

swhx1 wrote:
cscott wrote:

Hi swhx1,

Nope no such option on my menu https://goo.gl/photos/vRVc5YmnmDHN6KYb7

The option is the first one on the "Search" tab in the Options page

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Milei » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:30 am

When i open in X1 an outlook task from my collegue (i have all permissions in his exchange account) with double-click and i try to send a task status report, i get the message from Outlook that i don't have the permission to do that. When i open this task directly in outlook, it is no problem to send a task status report. Even when i send the status report from X1 it also works. In version 8.4 there was no such problem.

Greetings
Mike
Milei
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby poy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:40 am

:D :!: :?:

Funny, isn't it?

X1 (6001os-x64) just stopped indexing on my trusty old notebook due to low disk space.

This is the available disk space:

Anything I need to do in order to get X1 it back indexing?
Thanks
()
- < ( Connection with X1 Service has been lost. A restart does not fix this Problem. Would you like to restart X1?
()

Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor 3.70 GHz - 24GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD - Win7 Ultimate 64bit
poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby poy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:07 am

X1 made up its mind:

()
- < ( Connection with X1 Service has been lost. A restart does not fix this Problem. Would you like to restart X1?
()

Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor 3.70 GHz - 24GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD - Win7 Ultimate 64bit
poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby cscott » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:24 am

Jogy

Just in case anyone might still be confused:
General, Search, and Indexing are tabs that can be selected.
Chris Scott
Product Manager
X1
cscott
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby poy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:59 am

Hi dear X1 people,
There is one missing feature, people with bigger data-volume would really appreciate:
Please add an option to let X1 continue to index where it left off last time.

Whenever I reboot my machine, X1 starts over and scans all folders starting from #1.
As I have quite an extensive number of files on my machine, X1 almost never reaches "the last folder".
Instead it redundantly checks, files which were included in the index already.

I re-installed and re-indexed my data several weeks ago, but X1 never completed the initial index run.
Instead it re-started it countless times.

Kind regards,
Tom
()
()

poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:56 am

Whenever I reboot my machine, X1 starts over and scans all folders starting from #1.

Unless your installation is broken, this is possibly down to confusion in the way that X1 presents progress.

After the first start, the % progress is not a "% of total" but "% of work left to to".

So, 1% could be 1% if the 1% of the material not yet indexed.

A better way to see if you really are starting from scratch every time is to look at the number of items in the status bar, the bit where it shows "1 of 215,700".

In other words, X1 does what you request and picks up from where it left off. If it doesn't for you, then something is awry with your installation.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby poy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:03 am

Hi Ken,
This might be:
X1 just came up with this one:
()
()

poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby cscott » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:48 pm

poy wrote:Hi Ken,
This might be:
X1 just came up with this one:

poy wrote:X1 made up its mind:

Hello poy,

Would you mind sending your logs to me so that we can look into what caused this condition?

We've added an easy way to do this within the Options menu.

Click the "Indexing" tab

Click the "Send Logs to Desktop" Button

Please send the resulting .zip file to my username at x1.com
Chris Scott
Product Manager
X1
cscott
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby kolarb » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:38 am

I've tried to use this version (os) but had to fallback to the previous beta version. Namely X1 would lose contact with Outlook and I was unable to open the emails (X1-> click -> open in Outlook). Not always, but sporadically. Reinstalling X1 did not help. I think RTI with Outlook is the problem. Sadly I cannot give more detail or send logs.
kolarb

Postby poy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:00 am

How much Disk Space is required, to NOT see this:

My Drives all have more than 40G free. Isn't that more than enough?
()
()

poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby poy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:36 am

cscott wrote:Hello poy,

Would you mind sending your logs to me so that we can look into what caused this condition?

Hi cscott,
The 20MB ZIP contains more than 300MB of logs.
As there might be confidential data about customer projects in there,
I can't send it.

The main question is: Can X1 handle more then a couple GB of data at all?
This was asked several times in these forums.
But was there ever an honest answer?
()
()

poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:10 am

poy wrote:The main question is: Can X1 handle more then a couple GB of data at all?

At the moment I have about 167 GB of files index.

My email data is something over 20GB.

Then there is 20GB or so of misclleneous bits and pieces.

Oh, and stuff I haven't counted.

All in all, well over 200GB.

poy wrote:This was asked several times in these forums.
But was there ever an honest answer?

Really? If you can point out the links to these less than honest answers I'd be happy to chip in. No one would ignore questions like that.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby cscott » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:33 pm

poy wrote:
cscott wrote:Hello poy,

Hi cscott,
The 20MB ZIP contains more than 300MB of logs.
As there might be confidential data about customer projects in there,
I can't send it.

I can understand that you may be uncomfortable with sending logs that potentially contain client data.

If it helps, we do not log the names or contents of files by default – however, file names are included when the option for Debug logging is selected.

The main question is: Can X1 handle more then a couple GB of data at all?

Yes.
Chris Scott
Product Manager
X1
cscott
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby poy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:18 am

cscott wrote:Yes.

Thank you Scott.

What are X1's practical limits?

When I started using X1 it was because Windows search was not really able to fully index my outloot email archives under XP.
X1 was great back then.

After upgrading to Win7, X1 was never running stable for me.
I re-installed X1 several times, rebuilt indexes several times, however the index got corrupted over and over again as X1 lost connection to X1 service hung so badly that quite often controlled shutdown of the system was impossible.

My questions for an index check/repair tool remained unanswered as well as my questions/remarks about practical limits.

Should I continue using X1 for 4M local files and 2M Emails on ~2TB SSD?
Is it an issue on my machine or am I expecting too much from X1?

X1 does not even finish initial indexing after two weeks.

Windows Search in combination with "Everyting" finds what I search for.
I can even keep track of my >20M files on external disk and finds filenames there in less seconds most of the time.

But as I bought X1 for its many advantages back then...

My main question: Is X1 still the right tool given the amount of data?

Kenward wrote:Really? If you can point out the links to these less than honest answers I'd be happy to chip in. No one would ignore questions like that.

Ken,
Thank you very much! I very much appreciate your help.
Are you part of the X1 support team?

Here is a selection of respective threads:

Index Repair/Check
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11158

Upper limit for v.8
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=6047

X1 practical limits
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=10379

Continuous Indexing Issues with X1 V8
http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=9873
Last edited by poy on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
()
()

poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:10 am

Looking at those links, I can't see that they do not answer your question.

Not sure what you mean by "honest" but the answers there are essentially the same as the answers here, including the response from X1.

Maybe you need to phrase your question more specifically than:

Can X1 handle more then a couple GB of data at all?

Those discussions describe people who, like me, use X1 to index 10s if not hundreds of GB of data and millions of email messages. So the answer to that question is a simple yes.

My guess is that the practical limit depends on various factors, especially the nature of your hardware. X1 can keep piling on the data, but if it takes ages to interrogate and display it, the software becomes unusable rather than incapable.

I build a new PC every four or five years. In my decade or so using X1 I have graduated from HDDs to SSDs and now to m.2 SSDs. That's a jump in speed of at least 25 X. (I never went for the fastest HDDs available, too mean.) In the process I have also moved to ever faster processors and generally keep up to date with Windows.

My data is on HDDs, but X1 and its index are on the m.2 SSD. X1 now works much more quickly than anything that went before.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby poy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:01 am

Kenward wrote:Looking at those links, I can't see that they do not answer your question.

Ken,
A minute ago I saw your posting footer which states that you are not with X1.

The more I thank you that you help people as best as possible.

If my English is not as perfect as yours - sorry.
It is not my mother tounge.

As far as the 4 threads is concerned, I could not find a single answer from X1.
Sorry, if I am missing something.

I feel that I might have offended you by using the word "honest" in an inappropriate way.
Please forget the respective question and tag it "Weird foreigner abusing English unintentionally".

Let me qoute from my post above:

>Should I continue using X1 for 4M local files and 2M Emails on ~2TB SSD?
>Is it an issue on my machine or am I expecting too much from X1?
>
>X1 does not even finish initial indexing after two weeks.

My Machine is an Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor 3.70 GHz - 24GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD - Win7 Ultimate 64bit

Thanks for your patience Ken!

poy
()
()

poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby poy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:13 pm

poy wrote:
Should I continue using X1 for 4M local files and 2M Emails on ~2TB SSD?

X1 does not even finish initial indexing after two weeks.

My Machine is an Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor 3.70 GHz - 24GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD - Win7 Ultimate 64bit

Hi X1 Team,

As you follow this thread but don't answer after 3 days, I should answer my own question:

No.

X1 can't handle the data on a little more advanced SSD.

I assume this is the reason why you never addressed my questions about practical limits and index repair.
Other customers observations confirm this. It's typical for X1 to corrupt it's index if it gets too large.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
()
()

poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby cscott » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:24 pm

poy wrote:Should I continue using X1 for 4M local files and 2M Emails on ~2TB SSD?

You are well within the limits of X1's practical indexing capabilities given that these numbers are accurate.

However, it seems that multiple issues are at play here:
poy wrote:I re-installed X1 several times, rebuilt indexes several times, however the index got corrupted over and over again as X1 lost connection to X1 service hung so badly that quite often controlled shutdown of the system was impossible.

poy wrote:X1 does not even finish initial indexing after two weeks.

With the stated hardware that you've discussed and the number of items you're attempting to index, generally speaking you should NOT be experiencing these issues.

Of course, many variables may be affecting this and I cannot speak with 100% certainty without knowing specifics.

Without further information I cannot hope to reproduce your environment and/or the behavior you're experiencing.

poy wrote:My main question: Is X1 still the right tool given the amount of data?

Based on the information you've presented, yes it should be!
Chris Scott
Product Manager
X1
cscott
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby poy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:37 pm

OK.

Thank you.

This sounds positive.

What do I need to do to remove all traces of the old installation?

I am willing to give it a last try.

Which version would you recommend?
Last Stable I assume?
()
()

poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:46 am

poy wrote:As you follow this thread but don't answer after 3 days...

This is not an official support channel. It is really user-to-user with some intervention from X1 people.

To get official support you should login to the support area and take if from there.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby syrag » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:16 am

If you have to point it out.... poor design. Things like this should be really obvious. This really isn't obvious. I realize it should be, but it simply isn't with the colors and hues chosen.

cscott wrote:

Jogy

Just in case anyone might still be confused:
General, Search, and Indexing are tabs that can be selected.
syrag

Postby swhx1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Having an issue in 6001os where some .mhtml files not being indexed except for their file names. the contents not being indexed. very bewildering. Cant explain it. Trying to reproduce the problem. This was a google search page with very simple html to index. should not have been a problem. Are there certain ascii characters that cannot be indexed or that will prevent the contents of a file to be indexed?
swhx1

Postby cscott » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:00 pm

poy wrote:OK.

Thank you.

This sounds positive.

What do I need to do to remove all traces of the old installation?

I am willing to give it a last try.

Which version would you recommend?
Last Stable I assume?

Hello poy:

I have given your contact info to our customer support team. They will be reaching out presently to see if they can resolve the issues that you are experiencing.
Chris Scott
Product Manager
X1
cscott
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby swhx1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:55 pm

swhx1 wrote:Having an issue in 6001os where some .mhtml files not being indexed except for their file names. the contents not being indexed. very bewildering. Cant explain it. Trying to reproduce the problem. This was a google search page with very simple html to index. should not have been a problem. Are there certain ascii characters that cannot be indexed or that will prevent the contents of a file to be indexed?

Yep it is some sort of a bug. Older pages saved in .mhtml can be searched for key words in the page but not current ones I save and it only seems to affect google search pages saved as .mhtml. very odd bug
swhx1

Postby cscott » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:41 pm

syrag wrote:If you have to point it out.... poor design. Things like this should be really obvious. This really isn't obvious. I realize it should be, but it simply isn't with the colors and hues chosen.

We've added a visual cue that should make this a little more intuitive:
Thank you all for your feedback.
Chris Scott
Product Manager
X1
cscott
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby cscott » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:05 pm

swhx1 wrote:
swhx1 wrote:Having an issue in 6001os where some .mhtml files not being indexed except for their file names. the contents not being indexed. very bewildering. Cant explain it. Trying to reproduce the problem. This was a google search page with very simple html to index. should not have been a problem. Are there certain ascii characters that cannot be indexed or that will prevent the contents of a file to be indexed?

Yep it is some sort of a bug. Older pages saved in .mhtml can be searched for key words in the page but not current ones I save and it only seems to affect google search pages saved as .mhtml. very odd bug

Hello swhx1,

Would you mind providing a selection of problematic files as well as your logs (debug, if possible)?

You can contact me at my username at x1.com.
Chris Scott
Product Manager
X1
cscott
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby poy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:36 am

cscott wrote:I have given your contact info to our customer support team. They will be reaching out presently to see if they can resolve the issues that you are experiencing.

Thank you. As I did not hear anything in the meantime, I deinstalled X1 and removed all X1 related leftovers from HDDs and Registry.
Then I re-installed last stable X1.
It indexed ~1,5M files pretty quckly and all looked promising.
But then it choked: It reported finished indexing, even though the number of files is significantly higher.
After exiting X1, it picked up indexing again. Many x1 restarts and reboots brought the index to 4M items.
But now our old friend ist back, who accompanies some of us since about three years:

I am looking forward to hearing from support.
()
()

poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby pstrisik » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Greetings,

I am a long term X1 user. Back to Bill Gross' Magellan days actually. However, I can't seem to use it now. Without explanation, X1 suddenly began giving the ~ "all attempts to connect to the X1 service have failed" (paraphrased but seen more than once in the forums back to 2013). Certainly may be from a change due to windows update or some app.

I am running Win 10x64 and was running X1 8.4.1 x64. I've spent about two hours trying various approaches including totally clean uninstall using Revo, X1 regkill routine, manually looked for folders in the usual places. Reboot.... tried the above reinstalling the same version and again with this beta version - twice - one x64, one x32. Every attempt has resulted in the same error. I'm stuck! Any help?

Thanks........
..............Peter
pstrisik
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Jogy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:12 am

pstrisik wrote:Greetings,

I am a long term X1 user. Back to Bill Gross' Magellan days actually. However, I can't seem to use it now. Without explanation, X1 suddenly began giving the ~ "all attempts to connect to the X1 service have failed" (paraphrased but seen more than once in the forums back to 2013). Certainly may be from a change due to windows update or some app.

I am running Win 10x64 and was running X1 8.4.1 x64. I've spent about two hours trying various approaches including totally clean uninstall using Revo, X1 regkill routine, manually looked for folders in the usual places. Reboot.... tried the above reinstalling the same version and again with this beta version - twice - one x64, one x32. Every attempt has resulted in the same error. I'm stuck! Any help?

Thanks........

Hello,

can you check in the data folder (by default in C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\X1 Search), in the logs subfolder, there should be files like X1ServiceHost.crash.xml - examine them, you can also post the contents here. These files may give some insight on why X1 is not working

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby pstrisik » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:46 am

Jogy wrote:Hello,

can you check in the data folder (by default in C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\X1 Search), in the logs subfolder, there should be files like X1ServiceHost.crash.xml - examine them, you can also post the contents here. These files may give some insight on why X1 is not working

Jogy

Thanks for replying Jogy. I did complete uninstall and went back to 8.4.1 x64. There are no xml files in the logs subfolder and nothing in either X1 Search folder or logs subfolder with "crash" in the file name.

This is the X1.log file:
Code: Select all
23 Jan 2017 06:29:08,601 [1] INFO  ConfigFile   - Config does not exist: C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\X1 Search\flags.xml
23 Jan 2017 06:29:08,601 [1] INFO  X1UI         - Ver:5003pj 64bit
23 Jan 2017 06:29:08,601 [1] INFO  X1UI         - Running from C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\X1 Search
23 Jan 2017 06:29:08,602 [1] INFO  X1UI         - Product name: X1 Search
23 Jan 2017 06:29:08,607 [1] INFO  ConfigFile   - Config does not exist: C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\X1 Search\UIConfig.xml
23 Jan 2017 06:29:08,683 [1] INFO  LicenseManager - Initializing the license manager
23 Jan 2017 06:29:08,856 [1] INFO  SystemTrayManager - Initializing system tray icon
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,067 [4] INFO  X1License    - License file refreshed.
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,067 [4] INFO  LicenseManager - ResetOfflineRunCount
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,069 [4] INFO  LicenseManager - Successfully refreshed license.
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,070 [1] INFO  App          - Installation ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,077 [1] INFO  ConfigFile   - Config does not exist: C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\X1 Search\UIPluginConfig.xml
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,082 [1] INFO  PluginProvider - Loaded X1UI2.Base from X1UI2.Base.dll
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,082 [1] INFO  PluginProvider - Loaded X1UI2.WebBrowser2 from X1UI2.WebBrowser2.dll
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,082 [1] INFO  PluginProvider - Loaded StellentViewerControl from StellentViewerControl.dll
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,082 [1] INFO  PluginProvider - Loaded X1.FilesPlugin from X1.FilesPlugin.dll
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,082 [1] INFO  PluginProvider - Loaded X1.OutlookPlugin from X1.OutlookPlugin.dll
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,082 [1] INFO  PluginProvider - Loaded X1.ImapPlugin from X1.ImapPlugin.dll
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,082 [1] INFO  PluginProvider - Loaded X1.SharepointPlugin from X1.SharepointPlugin.dll
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,082 [1] INFO  PluginProvider - Loaded X1.X1ServerPlugin from X1.X1ServerPlugin.dll
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,082 [1] INFO  PluginProvider - Loaded X1.SEVPlugin from X1.SEVPlugin.dll
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,082 [1] INFO  PluginProvider - Loaded X1.BoxPlugin from X1.BoxPlugin.dll
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,082 [1] INFO  PluginProvider - Loaded X1.OneDrivePlugin from X1.OneDrivePlugin.dll
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,116 [1] INFO  PluginProvider - PluginProvider Created
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,856 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Connecting to service ...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,857 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Attempting to connect to X1Service...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,862 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Attempting to connect to per-user service...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,878 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Attempting to start X1ServiceHost.exe...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,900 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Attempting to connect to per-user service...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:10,904 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:11,107 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:11,313 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:11,518 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:11,722 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:11,929 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:12,133 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:12,339 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:12,544 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:12,748 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:12,958 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:13,166 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:13,383 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:13,588 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:13,792 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:13,997 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:14,202 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:14,406 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:14,610 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:14,814 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:15,024 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:15,229 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:15,435 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:15,639 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:15,845 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:16,048 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:16,253 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:16,457 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:16,666 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:16,870 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:17,075 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:17,279 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:17,484 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:17,687 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:17,892 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:18,097 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:18,302 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:18,507 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:18,712 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:18,917 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:19,120 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:19,326 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:19,530 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:19,733 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:19,942 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:20,149 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:20,353 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:20,558 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:20,762 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:20,966 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:21,171 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:21,376 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:21,580 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:21,783 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:21,987 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:22,192 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:22,395 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:22,599 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:22,804 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:23,009 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:23,214 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:23,419 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:23,624 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:23,829 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:24,033 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:24,237 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:24,441 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:24,645 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:24,850 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:25,054 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:25,259 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:25,463 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:25,668 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:25,872 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:26,076 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:26,282 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:26,487 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:26,690 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:26,894 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:27,098 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:27,303 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:27,508 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:27,713 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:27,921 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:28,126 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:28,336 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:28,541 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:28,745 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:28,949 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:29,152 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:29,357 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:29,561 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:29,765 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:29,970 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:30,176 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:30,380 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:30,590 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:30,794 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:30,997 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:31,202 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:31,408 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:31,615 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:31,820 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:32,025 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:32,229 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:32,436 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:32,640 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:32,844 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:33,048 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:33,253 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:33,457 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:33,661 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:33,865 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:34,071 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:34,275 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:34,479 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:34,683 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:34,892 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:35,102 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:35,312 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:35,515 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:35,722 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:35,926 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:36,133 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:36,337 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:36,541 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:36,746 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:36,951 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:37,157 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:37,362 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:37,565 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:37,770 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:37,974 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:38,180 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:38,385 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:38,595 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:38,802 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:39,006 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:39,211 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:39,417 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:39,621 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:39,824 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:40,028 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:40,232 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:40,437 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:40,643 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:40,847 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:41,051 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:41,257 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:41,462 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:41,666 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:41,872 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:42,077 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:42,282 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:42,487 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:42,692 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:42,898 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:43,102 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:43,309 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:43,512 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:43,717 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:43,923 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:44,134 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:44,338 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:44,543 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:44,747 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:44,952 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:45,156 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:45,360 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:45,564 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:45,774 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:45,979 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:46,187 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:46,392 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:46,597 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:46,802 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:47,005 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:47,215 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:47,420 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:47,624 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:47,834 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:48,038 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:48,243 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:48,454 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:48,658 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:48,861 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:49,070 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:49,276 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:49,479 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:49,684 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:49,888 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:50,092 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:50,297 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:50,502 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:50,710 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:50,915 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:51,123 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:51,327 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:51,533 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:51,738 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:51,942 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:52,147 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:52,351 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:52,557 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:52,761 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:52,971 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:53,180 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:53,385 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:53,590 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:53,794 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:53,999 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:54,202 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:54,407 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:54,612 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:54,816 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:55,024 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:55,228 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:55,432 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:55,638 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:55,842 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:56,049 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:56,254 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:56,463 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:56,668 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:56,875 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:57,080 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:57,289 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:57,493 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:57,705 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:57,909 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:58,115 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:58,318 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:58,523 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:58,728 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:58,933 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:59,138 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:59,342 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:59,547 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:59,750 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:29:59,956 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:00,160 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:00,364 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:00,568 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:00,773 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:00,979 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:01,183 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:01,388 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:01,591 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:01,794 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:01,999 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:02,203 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:02,407 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:02,611 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:02,816 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:03,020 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:03,224 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:03,430 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:03,634 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:03,838 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:04,042 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:04,245 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:04,449 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:04,655 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:04,859 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:05,065 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:05,269 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:05,473 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:05,678 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:05,882 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:06,087 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:06,290 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:06,501 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:06,706 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:06,914 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:07,125 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:07,329 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:07,539 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:07,743 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:07,946 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:08,152 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:08,357 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:08,562 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:08,766 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:08,969 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:09,179 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:09,385 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:09,589 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:09,798 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:10,002 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:10,207 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:10,412 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:10,616 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:10,821 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:11,030 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:11,235 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:11,441 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:11,645 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:11,848 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:12,053 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:12,258 [1] INFO  ServiceManager - Could not connect to per-user service, retrying...
23 Jan 2017 06:30:12,459 [1] ERROR ServiceManager - Unable to connect to service after 300 retries. Last Exception was:
System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/X1Service_peter that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.

Server stack trace:
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionUpgradeHelper.DecodeFramingFault(ClientFramingDecoder decoder, IConnection connection, Uri via, String contentType, TimeoutHelper& timeoutHelper)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.SendPreamble(IConnection connection, ArraySegment`1 preamble, TimeoutHelper& timeoutHelper)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.DuplexConnectionPoolHelper.AcceptPooledConnection(IConnection connection, TimeoutHelper& timeoutHelper)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionPoolHelper.EstablishConnection(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ClientFramingDuplexSessionChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOpenOnce.System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ICallOnce.Call(ServiceChannel channel, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.CallOnceManager.CallOnce(TimeSpan timeout, CallOnceManager cascade)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.EnsureOpened(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at X1.UI.X1ServiceMain.IX1Service.Connect()
   at X1.UI.WCF.ServiceManager.a(Boolean A_0, String A_1, String A_2)
23 Jan 2017 06:30:12,461 [1] ERROR ServiceManager - Unable to connect to service
System.Exception: All attempts to start and connect to X1ServiceHost failed
   at X1.UI.WCF.ServiceManager.Connect(String host, String userName)
   at X1.UI.WCF.ServiceManager.ConnectToService(String host, String userName)
23 Jan 2017 06:30:19,191 [1] WARN  App          - Failed to init main window
23 Jan 2017 06:30:19,205 [1] INFO  MainWindow   - Main Window closed
23 Jan 2017 06:30:19,205 [1] INFO  MainWindow   - Disconnecting from service: shutdown=false

There is something in the X1.log file after 300 attempts to connect to service host:

23 Jan 2017 06:30:12,459 [1] ERROR ServiceManager - Unable to connect to service after 300 retries. Last Exception was:
System.ServiceModel.EndpointNotFoundException: There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe://localhost/X1Service_peter that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.

Hopefully nothing in this file that shouldn't be posted! I did X out the installation ID.

Thanks...
..............Peter
pstrisik
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Jogy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:13 am

Hello,

can you also check the content of the X1ServiceHost.log file? It may show why the service host is not running (and the UI cannot connect to it)

Another possibility is if a third party program is breaking the communication between X1 UI and service. An example from the past was one version of Garmin Express which was breaking named pipe communication.

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby swhx1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:34 pm

cscott wrote:
swhx1 wrote:

Hello swhx1,

Would you mind providing a selection of problematic files as well as your logs (debug, if possible)?

You can contact me at my username at x1.com.

they have been emailed to you just now
swhx1

Postby pstrisik » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:15 pm

can you also check the content of the X1ServiceHost.log file? It may show why the service host is not running (and the UI cannot connect to it)

Another possibility is if a third party program is breaking the communication between X1 UI and service. An example from the past was one version of Garmin Express which was breaking named pipe communication.

Jogy

Too big to post here. Can I PM or email you a link?

BTW, never had any Garmin software.
..............Peter
pstrisik
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Jogy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:27 pm

You can send them to cscott (see other posts in the thread about emailing him) and I will get the logs.

Jogy

pstrisik wrote:

Jogy

Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby pstrisik » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Jogy wrote:You can send them to cscott (see other posts in the thread about emailing him) and I will get the logs.

Jogy

pstrisik wrote:

Jogy

Done. There is the X1ServiceHost.log file and several with .1, .2, etc., appended that I assume are older ones.

Thank you......
..............Peter
pstrisik
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Jogy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:48 am

Hi,

from the logs it looks like the problem is exactly this - some other application is capturing the named pipes communications.

Can you try to start X1 as administrator and see if it will work?

Also, download the Handle utility from SysInternals: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/handle,
save it in a folder, for example c:\tools, then run a command prompt as administrator, type cd c:\tools, then handle net.pipe
This will list all processes that are using named pipes. For example, if X1 is running properly, you may see something like this:

Nthandle v4.1 - Handle viewer
Copyright (C) 1997-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

X1ServiceHost.exe  pid: 1236   type: Section        A48: \Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly9MT0NBTEhPU1QvWDFTRVJWSUNFX0pPR1kv
X1ServiceHost.exe  pid: 1236   type: Section        CE4: \Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly9MT0NBTEhPU1QvWDFTRUFSQ0hNQU5BR0VSX0pPR1kv

See what other processes are listed, try to stop them and run X1 again.

Done. There is the X1ServiceHost.log file and several with .1, .2, etc., appended that I assume are older ones.

Thank you......
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby syrag » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:54 am

Saved Searches -

I don't recall running into this in Search 8; so I thought I would ask. I have several saved searches. They seem to be re-saved if I modify them. I generally don't want them saved unless I explicitly save them. Has hat behavior changed? Is there a way to change that?
syrag

Postby Kenward » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:08 am

syrag wrote:I have several saved searches. They seem to be re-saved if I modify them.

I don't see that.

Tell us how to reproduce this behaviour and I'll see what happens.

My experience has been that you have to work hard to get X1 to update a saved search. You need to "Ctrl + S" to do that.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby pstrisik » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:42 am

Jogy wrote:Hi,

from the logs it looks like the problem is exactly this - some other application is capturing the named pipes communications.

Can you try to start X1 as administrator and see if it will work?

Also, download the Handle utility from SysInternals: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/handle,
save it in a folder, for example c:\tools, then run a command prompt as administrator, type cd c:\tools, then handle net.pipe
This will list all processes that are using named pipes. For example, if X1 is running properly, you may see something like this:

Nthandle v4.1 - Handle viewer
Copyright (C) 1997-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

X1ServiceHost.exe  pid: 1236   type: Section        A48: \Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly9MT0NBTEhPU1QvWDFTRVJWSUNFX0pPR1kv
X1ServiceHost.exe  pid: 1236   type: Section        CE4: \Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\net.pipe:EbmV0LnBpcGU6Ly9MT0NBTEhPU1QvWDFTRUFSQ0hNQU5BR0VSX0pPR1kv

See what other processes are listed, try to stop them and run X1 again.

Well, I feel a bit silly. Running as administrator does the trick. I'm still adjusting to Win 10 in this regard. I think my admin account in Win 7 made explicitly running as admin unnecessary while in Win10 it sometimes is. Not that I would have thought of this simple solution anyway!

Thanks for your patience and again for your help.
..............Peter
pstrisik
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Next

Return to X1® Search 8 Releases