second X1 "profile" on same pc/login?

Please post all issues related to X1 Search 8 Releases here!

Moderator: Mods

second X1 "profile" on same pc/login?

Postby Dan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:29 pm

I'd like to continue using X1 as my search engine/tool for "active" email (all active email accounts in Outlook).

At the same time, I would like to use X1 to index my archive pst files which are not connected to Outlook anymore. I know I can attach those archive pst files to X1, and this is what I am doing at the moment.

But I would like to have the archive pst files indexed in an independent index/database (profile?). That is, if I want to search in the archive, I switch to this separate index/database and search/find emails only there.
The two indexes should not be mixed. That is, I only search in either the active emails or the archive and get results only from the index which is currently the selected one.

Not sure if i made myself clear. But anyway, is this possible with X1 8.5?

I have a licensed copy.

Thanks
Dan
Dan

Win 10
Outlook 2013/2016
Dan
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Re: second X1 "profile" on same pc/login?

Postby Kenward » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:02 am

I would like to have the archive pst files indexed in an independent index/database (profile?).

This is possible and is how I work.

If you create a separate Mail Profile in Windows, you can attach PST files, as many as you like, to the new profile without specifying any associated email addresses. X1 will then load that Archive profile along with your main profile.

You can then set up a saved search that filters on the profiles. Just add the Profile column to a search and the fill it with "Archive=".

This does not mean that you have separate indexes, with email from different PSTs held in their own indexes. But that does not matter. As I understand your question, the point is not to have separate indexes but to be able to keep the X1 search results separate.

Of course, you could also achieve the same thing by using your existing setup and creating a search that filters on the PST files you want with the path column. Just tell it to search only the archive.pst data.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Dan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:40 am

hello MK,

not exactly what I was looking for, but I will give it a try. Thanks!

questions:
- If I disconnect the PST files attached to that archive profile and move them to an external disk, will the initial index still be there? (I guess so)
- will I get error messages because the archive PST's have disappeared and X1 still might want to index them regularily? (I guess that's why there is an option "Ignore Alert for Unavailable PST Files"..)
- what happens if I remove a PST file from a profile and the index is running, say every 2 hours. will that PST files content disappear from the index?
- I attached some PST files directly to X1, not over a profile. If I uncheck them in the PST list, but not remove them, I would assume that they are simply not scanned. But will the previously scanned content (while the PST file was checked) remain?

- above cases with either "Store Outlook Email body in the index" set or not set.. what is the difference for me?

btw, do you know what "Enable all PST files found for scanning" exactly does? It seems to me it would scan all PST files found via the file index (even the ones not attached to X1 directly or to a profile). Am I mistaken?

you see, lots of questions.. :-)

dan
Dan

Win 10
Outlook 2013/2016
Dan
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:14 am

Dan wrote:not exactly what I was looking for, but I will give it a try. Thanks!

It was hard trying to work out what you do want.

- If I disconnect the PST files attached to that archive profile and move them to an external disk, will the initial index still be there? (I guess so)

I doubt it. (Why would you want X1 to remember stuff that isn't there?) But I leave the experts to answer definitively.

btw, do you know what "Enable all PST files found for scanning" exactly does? It seems to me it would scan all PST files found via the file index (even the ones not attached to X1 directly or to a profile). Am I mistaken?

That's how I interpret it too. I disable it because I want to be able to exclude PST files and to use my own strategy and to avoid having to manually add a bunch of PST files.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:37 am

Kenward wrote:
Dan wrote:not exactly what I was looking for, but I will give it a try. Thanks!

It was hard trying to work out what you do want.

I just wanted to create an offline archive of PST's on an external disk and wanted X1 to index those one time. Then keep the index on the external disk together with an instance of X1 (I know that won't work because there is no portable X1 installation I am aware of). This is exactly what I do with another product called "MailStore Home", which has a portable version. Unfortunately, MailStore Home is much less sophisticated than X1 when it comes to searching. Well, it's more an archive tool with some search capabilities anyway. But it allows to move mails to an offline storage which can be searched if needed. Without having to add the PST's to Outlook or reindex them first by X1. I hope I was a bit clearer now :-)

Thanks for your help

Daniel
Dan

Win 10
Outlook 2013/2016
Dan
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Return to X1® Search 8 Releases