Announcing X1 Search 8 Beta

Please post all issues related to X1 Search 8 Releases here!

Moderator: Mods

Announcing X1 Search 8 Beta

Postby Chris Wheaton » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:14 pm

Hello X1 Forum community!

We are excited and proud to announce our next generation desktop search product, X1 Search 8. At the end of 2011 many of you joined us in a public beta for our Pro 7 release. In March of 2012 we suspended the Pro 7 beta. Now, as promised in our March 27th 2012 beta suspension post, we are releasing X1 Search 8. Built upon the Pro 7 code base, X1 Search 8 includes many enhancements, including carrying forward some of the features introduced in Pro 7. Before we move to the exciting product details and beta link below, please let me offer an explanation of the current status of the product and the developments of the past year.

While the majority of our Pro 7 Beta users had a positive experience, we suspended the beta to perform additional development and further optimize the code, specifically targeting overall performance and resource usage, along with speed and ease of use. Since the March 2012 beta suspension, we continued to work on the Pro 7 code base through shared development of Pro 7 and X1 Social Discovery. X1 Social Discovery is a first to market investigation and forensic collection tool that archives, searches, and tags social media content from leading social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

As a result of aggressive shared development, and your thoughtful and dedicated Pro 7 beta feedback, we are proud to announce a strong X1 Search 8 beta. X1 Search 8 is an ambitious upgrade that will carry our users, our organization, and the market into the next generation of search and productivity, while maintaining the core X1 goal of fast and efficient search from an intuitive interface.

X1 Search 8 Features Discussion

Throughout the Pro 7 beta, X1 Social Discovery, and Search 8 development, we spent a lot of time determining the core of the X1 experience, and making sometimes difficult product decisions, in the hopes of focusing our engineering to deliver the best possible X1 Search 8. In light of this process, and the release of X1 Social Discovery, we removed the Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn scanners from Search 8. Further, we removed the Lotus Notes scanner. For our Lotus Notes customers, we suggest continuing to use version 6.7.4 or below.

Now that we have covered what will not be part of the Search 8 beta, we list out the enhancements at the bottom of this post. Stay tuned in the coming weeks, as we will be adding additional features, including connectivity into SharePoint 2010 and the X1 Rapid Discovery server. The SharePoint and Rapid connectors further our core vision of X1 Search 8 as the single pane of glass into all of our users’ critical information.

Upgrade Guidance

Prior to installing the X1 Search 8 beta, there are a few considerations for those using a previous version of the X1 Professional Client, version 6.7.4 or below, as well as the Pro 7 beta.

Upgrading to X1 Search 8 from Professional Client Version 6.7.4 or below:

We suggest uninstalling your Professional Client prior to installing X1 Search 8. To uninstall the Professional Client, please follow the instructions in this Knowledge Base article: http://help.x1.com/entries/21087272-man ... -remove-x1.

For our Professional Client power users, while we strongly encourage you to move forward to Search 8, we understand if you want to maintain your version of the X1 Professional Client. If you plan to run both the X1 Search 8 beta and a previous version of the X1 Professional Client, please disable indexing for each data source in the X1 Professional Client product. To disable File indexing, as an example, please use Tools> Options> Files and select ‘Never-Do not index Outlook’. Please repeat these steps for each data source in your X1 Professional Client index.

Upgrading to X1 Search 8 from the Pro 7 beta:

As X1 Search 8 and Pro 7 share a common code base, you can run an update from within Pro 7, or from the updated installer below.

If you are running Pro 7, when you install X1 Search 8, it will automatically replace Pro 7. Since it is a significant upgrade, you will not maintain your existing saved searches, so please take note of your searches prior to upgrade. We apologize for any inconvenience.

FINALLY, here is a link to the X1 Search 8 beta: http://support.x1.com/cs/X1SearchSetup.exe

We look forward to an open dialogue during the beta period. We will read ALL of your feedback, and aim to respond to every piece. The more feedback the better, so please let us know all of the negatives (although we love to hear the positive as well)! Feedback can be posted within this forum, or provided from within the product by clicking the ‘Send Feedback’ button in the upper right-hand corner of the X1 Search 8 UI.

Most importantly, we want to thank you for your loyal X1 use, your detailed and thoughtful feedback, as well as your patience as we’ve worked towards the next generation of X1. Your dedicated support uncovered the issues detailed above and informed the development path that proudly brings us X1 Search 8.

Best Regards,
The X1 Team

Features/Enhancements

• Full support for Outlook 32 and 64 bit
• Webmail Search: Search and index Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, AOL Mail, and any other IMAP based mail accounts
• Redesigned user interface: Provides a more intuitive, streamlined experience
• Enhanced Indexing Engine: Ensures that users can find emails and files faster than ever
• Updated the graphic theme to better integrate with Windows 7
• Faster index build during initial install
• Speeding up email body previews during initial install
• Clearer display of subfolder index settings, allowing for different settings than their parent folders

Pro 7 to Search 8 enhancements and features

• Improved stability and UI refinements to search aggregation (“federated search”).
• Added an “All” saved search to aggregate all existing data sources: Email, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes, Files, and Attachments.
• Ability to search both email and attachment contents from a single saved search, for all Outlook content (Email, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks).
• Enable full indexing, search, and federated search for all types of Outlook attachments: Email, Calendar, Tasks, Contacts.
• New “Advanced Search” UX for tile mode results.
• Upgrade to Oracle OutsideIn technology v8.4.0, for improved preview of file types and content indexing capabilities.
• Implemented “delay indexing” feature to ensure indexing does not hog computer resources while using your computer.
• New UX for managing data sources and viewing scanner status.
• Improved stability of indexing engine code with several bug fixes and enhancements.
• Many other enhancements and refinements to the user interface.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Re: Announcing X1 Search 8 Beta

Postby SeismicGuy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:03 pm

I am interested to see some screenshots illustrating the new interface. Is it really necessary to uninstall the current version I am using in order to try the beta?

Thanks,

Doug
SeismicGuy

Postby Greg Dawes » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:47 pm

SeismicGuy wrote:I am interested to see some screenshots illustrating the new interface. Is it really necessary to uninstall the current version I am using in order to try the beta?
Doug,

This link will provide you with a small taste of the new UI: http://theflash.x1.com/downloads/common ... /show.html

As far as whether it's necessary to uninstall your current version:
- if you have the X1 Pro 7 beta installed then you MUST uninstall first
- if you have v6.7.4 (or previous) installed then it is not a requirement that you uninstall the older version first, but in the end you will have two, separate distinct installations of X1 on your system.
Greg Dawes
QA Engineer
X1 Technologies
http://www.x1.com/company/contact-us
Greg Dawes
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:23 pm

Chris Wheaton wrote:In light of this process, and the release of X1 Social Discovery, we removed the Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn scanners from Search 8.

Can mere mortals acquire X1 Social Discovery at a reasonable price?

Will X1 8 have "connectors" for things like RSS feeds?

For all the breathless marketing gobbledegook, all I see is a new version with fewer features than we came to love, and depend on.

Chris Wheaton wrote:• Updated the graphic theme to better integrate with Windows 7

Just in time for Windows 8.

How about Office 365?
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mrwul » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:51 am

First of all: many thanks for the upgrade! Am really looking forward to using it.
Am sure it is a great improvement.

Am sorry but I have some questions that may sound 'negative' but they are not meant in a negative way/

However, if my memory serves me well, I did suggest to improve this and I feel a little disappointed,
with such a big upgrade and so much development it seems nothing has happened...

My first issues (I have temporarily stopped X1 8 now) - involves the install:

1. my everlasting question: when upgrading, why is it that the upgrade version does not use the previous settings?
(where to store the files, gui layout, what to index, etc.)

2. also, why is it that the installer does not ask whére to store in the index files? I donot want them on the C-drive.

3. X1 started to store in C:\Users\MyNamel\AppData\Local\X1 Search. As said, I stopped indexing.
3.a. where is the clear index button?
3.b. as none of the v7 settings are 'adopted' (note I installed x18 into the X1 v7 folder), I guess everything should be re-indexed?
i.e. the previous indexes created by v7 are not acceptable?

TIA
=
later: just noticed "Clear index"-button wasn't in v7 either.
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Jogy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 am

Hi,

In both v7 and v8 there is no global "Clear Index" button. Instead, there are "Delete Index" for the individual scanners.
For example, to delete the Files index, use Menu->Data Sources and from the dialog, click on the Edit Data Source button for the Files scanner to open the Files options dialog.

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Chris Wheaton » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:07 am

mrwul - your comments and questions are not viewed here as negative; all feedback is helpful. I'll try to address some of your comments.

1. RE: using previous settings.

In past X1 products, moving from 6.0 to 6.2, or 6.2 to 6.7 for instance, you did have that option. With version 8, changes made to the product design and coding have made it necessary to start with a "clean" install. I would hope to see that the 8.X and/or 9.x versions of the future will again have the ability to upgrade in place.

2. RE: Installer - You bring up a very good point. All I can do for now is document it as a feature request and have our PM and engineering team evaluate improving he installer in this area. For now, post install, you can go to the Menu button - Options - Indexing and redirect your indexes to the disk/directory of your choosing.

3. As Jogy posted earlier, with X1 8 you're now able to clear a targeted portion of the index structure within each data source. If you'd like to clear and re-index files only, you can.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Trajan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:21 am

I cannot get the Menu bar to show. Is there a solution?
Trajan
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby mrwul » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:52 am

Jogy wrote:

Hi,

In both v7 and v8 there is no global "Clear Index" button. Instead, there are "Delete Index" for the individual scanners.
For example, to delete the Files index, use Menu->Data Sources and from the dialog, click on the Edit Data Source button for the Files scanner to open the Files options dialog.

Jogy

Ah !
Many thanks...

Actually, sofar I haven't deleted any index files in v7beta, so, the question did not come up.
However, I then wanted to delete the small index already created on the C-drive, before I cud stop X1
Reason for asking... :)

=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Jogy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:57 am

Trajan wrote:I cannot get the Menu bar to show. Is there a solution?

There is no menu bar, only a menu button on the top left corner, which brings all the menu options.
Are you using Windows 7 with an Aero theme?

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Trajan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:59 am

Jogy wrote:

There is no menu bar, only a menu button on the top left corner, which brings all the menu options.

Jogy

I mean the menu button. I am using Windows 7 with Aero. How can I get the button to show? Right now I have no ability to control the menu options.

Turning off transparency (Aero effects) does not resolve the problem.
Trajan
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Jogy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:17 am

Trajan wrote:
Jogy wrote:

Jogy

I mean the menu button. I am using Windows 7 with Aero. How can I get the button to show? Right now I have no ability to control the menu options.

Turning off transparency (Aero effects) does not resolve the problem.

Do you see the caption of the window? Can you post a screenshot in some way?

Try to press Alt+M and see if the menu opens.

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby mrwul » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:24 am

@Chris, thanks for your elaborate reply. All clear.

After re-reading my post, pls do accept my sincere apologies for the part "..so much development it seems nothing has happened"
This is defnitely not acceptable.
All of you at X1 have put in a lot of work into making a nice product. In fact, we all here, certainly I, cannot imagine doing without X1... !

It was item 2 (i.e. where to store the index files and also it would be nice if the installer asks "Start indexing now?" , so users can first do all the options/settings and thén manually start the indexing, which was/is something I was dreaming of for a long time), that made me write this totally misplaced remark. Well, maybe one day it will be available.

Again, sorry.
=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Chris Wheaton » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:37 am

Mrwul - no need to apologize, but apology accepted just the same. Again, this forum is designed for just that, your opinions and where required perhaps a rant and a rave or too as well. :) .
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Email showing x times

Postby mrwul » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:45 am

Peculiar thing...

Outlook 2010, X1 v8

I received a mail destined for "undisclosed-recipients:"
One mail with both text and images.

Have created a rule that all mail from that origin should go into a separate folder.

Obviously X1 also indexes that folder and this mail.

The mail in that folder is listed about 20 times (number of images I guess), each mail shows 1 image.
I have sent the mail to myself again, but it is listed just once in my inbox.

In the separate folder:
=
=
=

In my inbox
=
=

Q:Maybe some setting??

Thanks
-
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby OttoAcuna » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 am

Chris,

I recently moved to Office365 Home Premium and I am one of the many having problems with the "Click to run" virtualized environment that characterizes this Office 2013 release.

Is this addressed in X1 Search 8 Beta?

I am fully dependant on X1 and this virtualized environment has been a real problem. Apparently Office 365 Home Premium does not have a MSI installer option, so this is the reason why I am asking.

Hope to have any positive answer.

Best Regards From Costa Rica in Central America.

Otto
OttoAcuna

Postby NotFaNuttin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Does this version work with Oracle Beehive? Do past versions of X1?
NotFaNuttin

Postby csalsa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:05 pm

Congratulations on your release.

I have installed X1 v8 beta on two systems and, besides a few minor details, all good. It is after all beta (not "release candidate" or "release") and appears stable for a beta. I immediately checked the amount of memory consumed by X1 v8 beta. With version v7, I saw memory consumption up to 350 MBytes. X1 v8 beta uses much less. Great step forward.

First impression of the GUI looks good.

I personally do not mind that v7 settings were not transferred as it was a beta and not a release.

I did notice the RSS icon in the splash screen but did not see RSS integration in the data sources. I am a big RSS fan and use RssOwl for RSS feeds with some 500 feeds of IT, news, software and other stuff.

On trying to move the index, I get a pop-up dialog "Error Moving File or Folder" with text "Cannot move X1MapEngine_4208: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again. The new directory is created but the X1 settings do not stick. It succeeds the second time. A minor change would be to select the parent directory and automatically create the top-level "X1 Search" index directory.

I would like a link to an off-line install version. One of my computers is in an environment where the installer is blocked from downloading the main package. I normally have to manually update it. Also consider that corporate environments block hosting sites for downloads. So the reputation of the hosting site is important.

I will post again after indexing is complete. All good so far.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Auto-resize columns?

Postby mrwul » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:29 am

AFAIK..., right now, one can resize autoresize columns per column only.

If so, maybe add a slight improvement when doubleclicking the double arrow on the left border to result in autoresizing all columns?
(right now it collapses the navigation panel on the left)

=
=

Thanks
=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Option - Apply view for all in the same group ??

Postby mrwul » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:46 am

Right now the view (preview panel, columns) should be set per category.

Up front, I agree, it is a one-off thing, but I think it would be handy to have at least an option to apply the same view
(which also counts for the preview) for all categories in the same group.

For example: In Outlook I want the preview at the bottom and the columns for categories 'All mail', 'Inbox' 'Sent Items' to be the same.
Layout for Files (All files/documents) are the same with me.

Maybe add an option like the below?

Suggestion only.

=
=

thanks
=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:16 am

csalsa wrote:I did notice the RSS icon in the splash screen but did not see RSS integration in the data sources. I am a big RSS fan and use RssOwl for RSS feeds with some 500 feeds of IT, news, software and other stuff.

Me too. Although getting RSS to work with the old add-in was fiddly.

csalsa wrote:I would like a link to an off-line install version. One of my computers is in an environment where the installer is blocked from downloading the main package.

An off-line installer also makes it easier to install on more than one machine.

Doubtless, X1 has put its installer somewhere on my PC. I just have to find it.

Hang on, could this be it:

%TEMP%\5sgagvtg.uql\X!_PRO_32.msi
%TEMP%\5sgagvtg.uql\X!_PRO_3215.cab

In which case I need to get the 64-bit version for my main PC. (Not going to put the beta on that until I have messed around on the backup PC.)
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby csalsa » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks Kenward

I had found the installation in the temp directory :-). I appreciate your efforts to help.

In general, it is best to run the .exe installer instead of .msi files and it makes it easier for someone who is not technical. The .exe installer checks for prerequisites, can install prerequisites (eg .NET framework 4) and can provide per-install configuration details as input to calling the .msi file. Typically, .msi files are not called directly but from some other installer.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:40 am

Good point.

I tried running the setup program in the same directory as the msi. Unfortunately, it still wanted to go get the full package.

Yet another reason for wanting the full install available as a download.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:59 am

csalsa wrote:I did notice the RSS icon in the splash screen but did not see RSS integration in the data sources.

I have just installed the beta on my laptop PC – the one where I have no need for RSS etc – and I noticed that the installation image included not only the RSS logo but also the icons for social networks.

As there has never, to my recollection, been a version of X1 that combines RSS and social networks, I reckon this is a generic installation image rather than something created for Search 8.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby OttoAcuna » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:26 am

Just FYI for those having issues with Office 365 Home Premium (the new plan for $99/yr with 5 PCs).

I can happily report that the new Search 8 Beta fixed my problem and I am now able to see again X1, despite Outlook being run in the new "virtualized environment".

I have about 30 GB of PSTs which took all night to index, but now it is working fine so far.

I am eagerly waiting for the release version to upgrade my license.

Best Regards,

Otto
OttoAcuna

Postby Kenward » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:49 am

OttoAcuna wrote:Just FYI for those having issues with Office 365 Home Premium (the new plan for $99/yr with 5 PCs).

I can happily report that the new Search 8 Beta fixed my problem and I am now able to see again X1, despite Outlook being run in the new "virtualized environment".

Thanks for that. Answers a question I have had.

Office 365 seems to be a good option.

But if X1 is going to support it fully, shouldn't it also search SkyDrive? After all the cloud bit is one of the selling points for Office 365.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tfhoughton » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:52 am

I upgraded to the X1 Search 8 Beta and after indexing X1 is in a constant "Not Responding" state and, therefore, unusable.
I had no problems with X1 Search 7.
Can you point me at the X1 Search 7 so that I can reinstall that ans continue being a happy X1 customer?
Thanks.
tfhoughton

Postby csalsa » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:41 pm

Kenward wrote:Good point.

I tried running the setup program in the same directory as the msi. Unfortunately, it still wanted to go get the full package.

Yet another reason for wanting the full install available as a download.

You can run the .msi file directly. But it installs without any checks and uses default settings. Generally it works.

Running the .msi file invokes the the Windows installer "msiexec.exe". The Windows installer can be run directly (eg "msiexec /i package.msi") and has a number of options for logging that can be used to diagnose installation. However, as said before, it is best to use the .exe installer in an offline mode.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Jogy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:24 pm

csalsa wrote:You can run the .msi file directly. But it installs without any checks and uses default settings. Generally it works.

Be aware that under an operating system win User Access Control enabled (Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 ) if you run the .msi directly from Windows Explorer,
it may not run with administrator privileges and will install the X1 binaries under your user folder instead of under Program Files.
One solution is to run a command prompt as administrator, and from the command prompt navigate to the location of the .msi and start it from there.
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Maya Pinion » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Congratulations on the release!

I'm a huge fan of X1 and use it all the time (literally) and depend on it as part of my daily workflow. I was disappointed last year when I checked out the beta of version 7 and found that, new features aside, the UI had been changed so that basic functionality was hidden and required far more clicks to accomplish anything. I've been using my old (registered, but not current) copy of version 6 under Windows 7 and it continues to work well. But I know it's just a matter of time before that will no longer hold. I saw a while back that development of 7 had been aborted (for the best, it seems is the consensus) and dropped by today to see what if anything was going on. Looks like my timing was about right.

Downloading beta 8 as I type!

Fingers crossed.............................

PS. Is there any way to change my email address for the forum? I've looked in the CP but don't see where or how it's possible. Thanks!
Last edited by Maya Pinion on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maya Pinion

Postby tjh » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:10 pm

Love it! Looking nice and fast so far.

You didn't mention it on your Twitter feed X1, so it took me at least 3 days to realise!

This release is nice and zippy though, I'm certainly finding it faster than v6.7.4

Cheers,
Tim
TiM
X1 Search v8.5.1 - 6001se (64 Bit)
tjh
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Chris Wheaton » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:06 pm

NotFaNuttin -
Does this version work with Oracle Beehive? Do past versions of X1?

I do have some Beehive users running version 6.7.x but it seemed by observation that the V7 Beta worked better and more consistently with Beehive; thus I expect that V 8 Beta will be just fine.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Chris Wheaton » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:19 pm

tfhoughton - I would recommend you remove your X1 product - Do Not Save settings when prompted. Reboot. Then reinstall the X1 Search 8 Beta from the link in the announcement posting. (viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5799)
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby dskeeles » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi team,

I saw the update from the X1 UI, and enthusastically updated.

However - since starting indexing, about 2hrs later, it's trying to repeatedly download and open - in the UI - the first hit in my (empty) search window - this is a JPG in My Documents, that turns up as the first hit on an empty search. Hence I wondered why my CPU fan was whirring, and noticed I had 50+ 'download file' and 'Cannot open file' system message boxes. They were popping up as fast as I could close them.

I've since killed every process with an X1 at the front.

No time to catch up / check the posts here just yet; just dropped in to offer feedback. I'll leave X1b8 off for now, and will check back in when I have time (apologies). Can probably send logs if it hasn't already, if I get a PM/email.

Cheers,

D
dskeeles

Postby tfhoughton » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Chris, I did as you suggested.
Uninstalled not saving any options and reinstalled.
Still seeing the same problem.
I depend on x1....have 162241 items indexed....
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated...
Want to get rid of the Not Responding hang.
tfhoughton

Postby Aussie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi Chris and Team,

The new beta seems to be working fine for me on Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, Office 32 bit.

Questions:
1) Should the Deskbar have installed with the beta installation ... the Deskbar does add value
2) When the X1 window is maximized the minimize/maximize/close buttons on the top right are not visible. This also happened on Beta 7.

Keep up the good work.
Aussie

Postby davidsk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48 pm

I've been waiting anxiously for the update as I have a Windows 7 64 bit machine running Outlook 10 and can't run X1 V6.

Installed the new beta last Friday. I'm not particularly keen on running betas but don't have any alternative from X1.

Really significant problem – X1 immediately started indexing and brought my pretty powerful notebook to a virtual halt and it took me about half an hour to get in and change the indexing options and to direct where I wanted the index built. Clicking on an option the response was taking one minute or more, literally. If I hadn't seen that the machine was still working under the bonnet I would have given up and crashed out.

Strong suggestion – offer the right to set the options first after installation and/or make the default indexing option the least aggressive so that X1 doesn't take over the machine.

Built new indexes over the weekend. Even created some saved search folders and started to get back to where I had been with V7. Bit grumbly because it took me so long because the program was so unresponsive but…

All went well for 48 hours then X1 just froze on opening (some machine activity seemed to indicate it was indexing but the program was completely non-responsive). Also strangely I noticed that one saved search I had created was still in the left-hand menu but a second one had mysteriously disappeared. Several full reboots – same problem.

Tried to repair by removing the program but not preferences and reinstalling. It surprised me by also finding the old index in the non-default location but perhaps I should have been prepared for that having saved my preferences. Anyway, completely froze again.

Removed everything. Did a fresh install. Knew enough to immediately jump in and adjust indexing options. Index seemed to be building okay – got to about 40,000 records out of about 350,000 records and then it froze completely again. Rebooted the whole machine. Still frozen.

Did a complete removal and reinstall – still froze again completely fairly soon after starting to build the index.

Also whether or not it is a coincidence I have had numerous Outlook crashes and mini freezes which has not been my normal experience.

I am not aware of any new content types or materials on my machine that I would expect to cause indexing problems although of course who knows. That said I am only trying to index the default list of file types and the main bulk of my files are PST folders and PDFs and Word docs, nothing that I think of as being exotic or that I was aware of causing problems for V7.

X1 V7 had previously been running on my machine since release with exactly the indexing options I have been trying to set in the new version. I have previously had to do to reinstall's over the space of a year when I had problems with it also completely locking up but for the last several months it had been stable.

Of course I removed it completely to install the new version. I can't even go back to it as I no longer have a link to reinstall it

Now I am in limbo and pretty frustrated. I appreciate there is little to go on from these notes in terms of identifying bugs but really my machine is only nine months old, a top level Lenovo W520 that is highly specc'd running mainly Office 2010 so would have hoped that X1 could cope with anything on it.
davidsk

Postby mrwul » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:46 am

@chris and the entire x1 team

v8 4333hx is working nicely here. it built up the index fast, really very fast.
usually, when building up the index from scratch, with v6, I let it run overnight.
v8, I think it was ready after one or two hours or so.

w7 x64 and office 2010 32b.

wonderful job.
thanks
=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby tfhoughton » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Sorry to be a pest...
Is there a way I can get the Pro 7 cab?
Pro 7 was working like a champ for me on Windows 7, 64 bit with Office 2010 64 bit.
After uninstalling and re-installing Search 8 Beta a few times I still get "not responding".
Also removed several pst files to lighten the loafd.
I really depend on x1 to ge tmy job done.
Thanks.
tfhoughton

Postby giovannivl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:21 pm

tfhoughton wrote:Sorry to be a pest...
Pro 7 was working like a champ for me on Windows 7, 64 bit with Office 2010 64 bit.
After uninstalling and re-installing Search 8 Beta a few times I still get "not responding".
Thanks.

Same issue for me, i have 49 pst, each one max 7GB, X1 Search 8 Beta (Win7 64 + Office 64) still frozen all the time during the indexing, i know that it's working because i can see the process working (attached image), but i can't search anything, some of my friends told me, that after finishes the indexing still the same behavior

giovannivl

Postby PSC » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:43 pm

I agree with tfhoughton. I made a similar post. It would be great to have the last V7 client still available
PSC

Postby Kenward » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 am

PSC wrote:I agree with tfhoughton. I made a similar post. It would be great to have the last V7 client still available

It is for X1 folks to decide, of course, but do remember that V7 was only ever a beta product. It never made it into the real world.

V8 is its successor. (Not going to look good in the marketing.)

Are you sure that you don't have the V7 installer lying around somewhere?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby giovannivl » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:24 am

giovannivl wrote:
tfhoughton wrote:Sorry to be a pest...
Thanks.

Same issue for me, i have 49 pst, each one max 7GB, X1 Search 8 Beta (Win7 64 + Office 64) still frozen all the time during the indexing, i know that it's working because i can see the process working (attached image), but i can't search anything, some of my friends told me, that after finishes the indexing still the same behavior

UPDATE:

Starting my X1 without any LAN or WIFI conecction enabled, X1 starts indexing normally, then i unselect my OST o Shared Folders on Folders to Scan, so i close any process related to X1, and start again X1, after i saw that indexing starts i connected my LAN cable, and now it's indexing on line, i think there is a issue related to a idexing when we use a exchage outlook server...
giovannivl

Postby tfhoughton » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:27 am

Glad that I am not alone in this....
Yes..if not connected to the Exchange Server, x1 8 seems to work fine.
When connected to the Exchange server, x1 8 hangs.

A fix or access to the Pro 7 msi would be really appreciated.
Thanks.

Tom
tfhoughton

Postby Chris Wheaton » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 am

Tom - we will have to look for a fix to this as there is no access to beta 7 at this time.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby tfhoughton » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Chris, thanks.....
I am sure yu have seen the posts about starting X1 with the net dicconnected may be a workaround.
That should help your debugging.

I tired once and it seems to work.
Will keep you posted.

Tom
tfhoughton

Postby Chris Wheaton » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:56 am

Tom - Yes I have seen it, and I do recognize that this is not an acceptable long term work-around. I have shared this experience with our engineers who have a few ideas they are already exploring for both the cause of the issue and solutions.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby Kenward » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 am

tfhoughton wrote:Chris, thanks.....
I am sure yu have seen the posts about starting X1 with the net dicconnected may be a workaround.
That should help your debugging.

I tired once and it seems to work.
Will keep you posted.

Tom

As this is a network thing, have you thought of tweaking your firewall settings?

Turn off the firewall. Start X1. Turn on the firewall.

Any difference?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby AGeezer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:26 am

I believe I am feeling the same pain as others with hanging etc, for me disconnecting is simply not an option. The last X1 Search 7 beta worked like a champ, I had similar issues with 6.x and early beta 7 releases. @Chris Wheaton For us die hard beta testers (7 & 8) can we at least get to the last 7 beta to install and continue with our day jobs, when your engineers have addressed the current roadblock I am sure that we will all continue with the beta 8 testing - hint (not meant as a threat), currently without any alternative the only option is to go and try other engines....
AGeezer

Postby Chris Wheaton » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:12 am

AG - I'm sorry, but beta 7 is not available.
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Next

Return to X1® Search 8 Releases