Unable to Configure Gmail

Please post all issues related to X1 Search 8 Releases here!

Moderator: Mods

Unable to Configure Gmail

Postby bill75080 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:50 am

I am on a trial version of X1 Search 8.2.1 build 5001hb (64bit). When I attempt to add Gmail to the list of Data Sources, it establishes an Incoming connection with the imap.gmail.com server, then it tries to Test server credentials for my email account and I get the response "Add account error: Unable to connect to the server. Please try again." The username and password are correct and I have verified them by logging into my Gmail account.

I have also tried adding the Gmail account using the IMAP options on Available Data Sources with the same results.

The goal is to have X1 connect to my Gmail account and index all the email without having to configure a local email client for Gmail and have all the email on the Gmail account downloaded into an OST file for indexing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill
bill75080

Re: Unable to Configure Gmail

Postby bill75080 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 pm

I finally figured it out. I had the 2 Step verification enabled on Gmail. I found a KB article about using X1 with Gmail and 2 Step verification. The trick is to login to Gmail, generate a verification code for your device to work with mail, then copy that 16 character code and use it in place of the Gmail password when you are setting up the Gmail account in X1.

Maybe this will help someone else.
bill75080

Postby jch » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:50 pm

Thank you, that worked!
jch

Postby ron94188@gmail.com » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:02 pm

I was FINALLY able to get to Gmail by:
1 - Turn off two factor authentication
2 - Check my Gmail account - It had an email notice that an attempt was made to access my account and it was blocked. There was a link in that email to "allowing access to less secure apps" which I went to, turned on the less secure access and this than allowed me to go back to X1 and add Gmail

PLEASE add this as part of the onboarding instructions from X1 for Gmail :roll:
ron94188@gmail.com

Return to X1® Search 8 Releases