x1 v8 internet data usage

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

x1 v8 internet data usage

Postby wingfield » Sat May 02, 2020 5:22 pm

hello,

windows 10 now allows tracking of data usage over internet. in looking at this information on an app basis, I see that both "x1contentextraction.exe" and "x1servicehost.exe" are at the top of the list. I reset the usage stats this morning to see if it was an anomoly; but less than a day later; same result. the "x1contentextraction.exe" has already used 150gb and the "x1servicehost.exe" has used 33gig. why do either of these services use my internet connection at all???? this makes no sense to me. they are simply indexing data on my drives.

thank you.
wingfield

Re: x1 v8 internet data usage

Postby Jogy » Mon May 04, 2020 11:32 am

Hello,

that is very strange. Are you indexing files from network shares? Or folders containing files from a cloud storage like OneDrive, Box, DropBox, etc., where those files may be synced from the cloud?

You can also try to use a tool like Fiddler to check what addresses are being accessed and how much data is being transferred.

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby wingfield » Mon May 04, 2020 1:00 pm

hello,

yes, my NAS is being indexed. does that mean X1 is taking up network bandwidth inside my house in order to index the NAS??? if yes, it's a very large amount and could be the reason I've been having some internet issues even though I have 1gig down speeds.
so can I install X1 directly on the NAS to avoid this network traffic??

thank you
wingfield

Postby wingfield » Thu May 07, 2020 3:32 pm

anyone else have any feedback please??
wingfield

Postby geb » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:50 pm

never been able to get x1 working properly . It never worked after google desktop search went away. I' ve bought a few versions. I come back from time to time to see the latest hoping that they will catch up as year by year my data to index is always more that X1 can handle. I now see your post and think ill have to go away again.
geb

Postby ne0031 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:42 am

The windows 10 meter tracks network usage period. It can't decipher what is local network versus internet.

If you are on wifi, then indexing a nas on your network is very likely the cause of your network congestion.

There is no "X1 on nas" solution, X1 is a client, nas is on the network. To index the nas infers network usage.

Back in the day there was an X1 enterprise offering, but it was ~$5k for the server license, plus client licenses. They no longer support it - which is why we never bought it.
ne0031

Postby wingfield » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:56 am

ne0031,
thank you very much for your reply.

>> If you are on wifi, then indexing a nas on your network is very likely the cause of your network congestion.
in this case, is there a way to have the scanning only take place in the middle of the night?? I took a look at the options; but there does not appear to be an obvious way to achieve this.
wingfield

Return to General Discussion V8