Where's the love (for X1)?

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

Where's the love (for X1)?

Postby mdlynam » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:27 am

Who would've thought that Copernic Search would be updated more frequently than X1? ( To be clear, X1 is still my favorite and what I use at work :) )

Seriously though-- Have desktop users been put on the back burner? Desktop search is probably a maturing field, but there's still some room for improvement and innovation!

Here's to new features and updates from X1 in 2021!

/mark/
mdlynam

Re: Where's the love (for X1)?

Postby x1yoga » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:48 am

Yeah I'm not sure. I just recently got X1 v8, and it's just head and shoulders above Copernic's offering. I truly love it.

It seems like with the introduction of tiered pricing they should be able to bring on board more consumers. But maybe the sweet corporate cash is flowing in at a sufficient rate that they don't need to worry about consumers? It's too bad though, seems like this app fills a major hole in Windows 10. Copied from a post I recently made in a different thread:

x1yoga wrote:I hope at some point X1 will consider adding a lower cost version that only indexes files and mail/contacts/calendar, without online services and without sharepoint.

This would be similar to the way that Copernic does it.

Copernic charges $15/yr for
Microsoft Word
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft PowerPoint
Microsoft OneNote
Microsoft Outlook & PST
Adobe Acrobat PDF

plus $10.50/yr for adding
Google Drive
Dropbox
Microsoft OneDrive
WordPerfect
IBM Notes
Thunderbird & Eudora
e-Books

Oddly they want an extra $30/yr for adding OCR. Seems steep!

Anyway, I like that they have an affordable pretty full-featured basic version, hoping you will do something similar at some point.

Side note, Copernic's indexing engine is slow as molasses, and their UI doesn't hold a candle to X1, so it's still fair if X1 costs more. Just not THAT much more. :)
x1yoga

Postby SearchGirl » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:30 pm

I love X1 and have been using is since 2009 on my primary device and over my home network.

But to be honest, if I didn't need Gmail indexing, I would have stayed with version 6, which seemed to index faster and had a more efficient interface. Not sure how well it will work under Windows 10.

So glad I was able to purchase a perpetual license, sans support, before they changed their licensing model.

Subscription software.... bah......
SearchGirl

Re: Where's the love (for X1)? Needs to Love Itself

Postby rfprice » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:00 pm

Do you know if you are searching Google Drive files, which have been OCRd or maybe Google OCR searches? As more than a few of the X1 lovers, myself included, having access to cloud based storage (Drive, Evernote....) would be significant but doesn;t seem to be in the works. Maybe there are technical reasons, but radio silence is unacceptable. Now that Google Drive has upgrade it's desktop sync product, including providing the streaming version that was previously for G-Suite customers....now it seems it's all workspace (new name), I am considering X1 again. Currently I can get all work related files on my laptop but wonder about X-1s ability to find text on jpgs and if website content has been saved as a screenshot does X-1 have the functionality to find/index text?
Any help is appreciated.
rfprice

Postby danx55 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:23 am

hi all,
just checking in to see if there are any new releases for v8 ....and no! :( .....seems like maybe they arent doing anymore dev on it? :/ ....shame ....as it is my fave ....but could do with a few tweaks here and there ;)
cheers

...just trying out copernic ;)
danx55

Postby mdlynam » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:02 am

I know, right?!

I do hope we'll see continued development of X1.

Advise caution on Copernic 8 --- it's apparently stalling on its indexing if it's upgraded. Users report some success if starting clean.
mdlynam

Postby danx55 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:14 am

hi - thanks for the Coper info .... so far it cant even find a key word ive added to a docx :/ :D

.....x1 DID find it first time ...so defo seems better so far

cheers
danx55

Postby x1yoga » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:54 pm

danx55 wrote:hi all,
just checking in to see if there are any new releases for v8 ....and no! :( .....seems like maybe they arent doing anymore dev on it? :/ ....shame ....as it is my fave ....but could do with a few tweaks here and there ;)
cheers

...just trying out copernic ;)

Yeah same, I hope there'll be continued development, even if slow. TBH at the moment it pretty much does everything I want. In the old days I requested search aliases, which is still something I'd like to have (basically user-defined shortcut phrases that stand in for a bunch of frequently used search terms). Other than that it works well for me. I tried Copernic, but it was too slow and cumbersome compared to X1.
x1yoga

Postby danx55 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:02 am

hi - that sounds like a good idea ..... ive asked for implied NEAR in searches ....as i ALWAYS use the NEAR command in search strings
danx55

Postby rfprice » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:49 am

Eventually Google will figure out how to make desktop search faster and that will be the death knell for X1. Which is why the company isn't/hasn't invested in the product.
rfprice

Postby danx55 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:18 am

oh i thought google desk search has died a while back :/
danx55

Postby x1yoga » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:20 pm

danx55 wrote:hi - that sounds like a good idea ..... ive asked for implied NEAR in searches ....as i ALWAYS use the NEAR command in search strings

Turns out you can type /5 to get words that are "near" within five words. Who knew! See here.

Side note: also on that page:

Code: Select all
Search Term        Search Results
"the big d         The prefix phrase, the big d.  This will match the big dog, the big date, etc.
"the big d"        The exact phrase, the big d.  This will not match the big dog or the big date, only the big d (where d is a complete word).

Really X1? :lol:
x1yoga

Postby danx55 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:34 am

hi - yes i use the NEAR/n format most of the time in my searches ...otherwise results are too vague
danx55

Postby x1yoga » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:13 pm

danx55 wrote:hi - yes i use the NEAR/n format most of the time in my searches ...otherwise results are too vague

Just to make sure, you don't have to type the word NEAR apparently. Just typing /5 is enough, see the link.

Code: Select all
a /5 b    Same as   a NEAR/5 b
x1yoga

Postby danx55 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:29 am

no way!! :o ....cool many thanks indeed :) ....cant believe x1 support never told me that over the years!! :/ :D
danx55

Postby mdlynam » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:07 am

Here's a link to other commands for X1:
https://help.x1.com/hc/en-us/articles/2 ... h-Commands
mdlynam

Postby danx55 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:32 am

cool thanks
danx55

Postby SearchGirl » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:12 pm

So then is X1 no longer in development, and that's why this forum has no traffic? I thought maybe it was because of their SaaS subscription model, and tech support was happening elsewhere on a paid basis. Not that I've looked too closely.

Glad I have a perpetual license for version 8. And I still use version 6 on another computer.
SearchGirl

Postby danx55 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:25 am

bummer thats a shame :( ..... hopefully copernic will improve things soon :/
ta
danx55

Postby SearchGirl » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:40 pm

The functions that x1 offers users are pretty simple: indexing the location and contents of routine files and emails. X1 does this very well, despite issues I have with it, mostly around the UI and user options that make it feel unfinished. I haven't tried Copernic since I purchased x1 version 6 in 2009. It's been part of my everyday workflow ever since. But in truth there's really nothing special about it, and everything it does should be part of Windows to begin with.

Is it really no longer in development? But then, how much more development does it really need? Version 6 still works fine and I'd be using it except it doesn't do Gmail.

Any other competitors out there?
SearchGirl

Postby x1yoga » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:09 am

Seems like Lookeen is quite similar to X1 in terms of UI, but I don’t see gmail mentioned either. Major pro is that it seems like the entire thing is free if you only need to search local and attached drives. Not sure about the indexing speed, that’s an area where X1 is truly excellent, and miles better than at least Copernic.

Oh, I just noticed that the lookeen website lists all the products that they feel they can replace, and they have a feature comparison for all. So if you want to know the names of other search options and see how they compare, check out the list.
x1yoga

Return to General Discussion V8