X1 practical limits

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

X1 practical limits

Postby poy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:30 am

Hi,

Some years ago I bought X1 Search and was really happy with it.
I used a state of the art Notebook and X1 found everything.

Then I bought a new machine. 250GB SSD, 1TB SSD, 16GB Ram, Core i7.

But X1 8.4.1 never made it to index it fully. (1Mio Emails, ~7Mio files.)

I hate to say it: Windows 7/64 internal search "finds it". (Even though search syntax could be more effective.)
X1 does not. (Just checked - it has a 24GB index for ~3.5Mio items)

I was a big X1 fan. But now I wonder if it is still up to the job.

Anybody out there who uses X1 in a similar scale?

Kind regards,
p
()
- < ( Connection with X1 Service has been lost. A restart does not fix this Problem. Would you like to restart X1?
()

Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor 3.70 GHz - 24GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD - Win7 Ultimate 64bit
poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Re: X1 practical limits

Postby poy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:39 am

As X1 staff feels better not answer this simple question, I assume X1 can't handle more than some Gigs of data.

Looks I need to find an alternative. If you know any, please PM. Thanks.
()
- < ( Connection with X1 Service has been lost. A restart does not fix this Problem. Would you like to restart X1?
()

Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor 3.70 GHz - 24GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD - Win7 Ultimate 64bit
poy
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby kblount » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:35 am

Did you ever find an alternative? I seem to be running into a similar circumstance. I've spent a days trying to index my files and emails for the FIRST time on a new. It always hangs up, stalls out, crashes, and I end up having to delete the index and start over. I'm beginning to think it's not able to finish its initial scan, and I'll be left to find an alternative solution (but few exist now with the same promised feature set of X1). I would love to know what happened between the 6.x and 8.x versions.
kblount

Postby mdlynam » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:24 am

I'm happy with X1, but I also use dtSearch. The interface is not nearly as friendly & efficient as X1's, but for indexing large quantities of data & finding it fast, it rocks. I also like that dtSearch can make use of synonyms.

My search dream: The UI of X1, the breadth of dtSearch, and the ability to cluster results (Carrot2).
mdlynam

Return to General Discussion V8