Solved: Failure to index all files - "Files: Cancelled"

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

Solved: Failure to index all files - "Files: Cancelled"

Postby 4dx1 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:50 pm

X1 Search stopped indexing files on my PC without completing the task. There was an indication - if looked for i.e. the status message displayed for Files was 'Cancelled'. I searched this site for the source of this status and found nothing useful (is there documentation?).

X1 failed for me because of filename lengths exceeding X1 Search's (likely any Windows program) filename length limit. A free tool called TLPD (Too Long Path Detector) created by Or Ben Shabat was perfect to address the challenge. Simply configure it to look for filenames exceeding 240 characters and it will search every drive you have for with this objective. Correct any findings such that they pass the 240 character length check and problem solved.

The link for the free TLPD utility is: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tlpd/ - my thanks to Or Ben Shabat.

Action for the X1 team: please provide useful documentation to assist in debugging problems like this.
4dx1

Re: Solved: Failure to index all files - "Files: Cancelled"

Postby WillieBee1993 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:20 am

I have the same problem of cancelled indexing. It now appears it is related to one or two specific folders in OUTLOOK 2016. No reply from tech support. I tried the TLPD utility, but I have hundreds, if not thousands of file names that are too long. That tool will not help me because it does not rename the files. I would have to do it manually. No way! Please help. X1 has been a great tool for me for years. But it is not working correctly anymore....
WillieBee1993

Re: Solved: Failure to index all files - "Files: Cancelled"

Postby Jogy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:30 am

Hi,

the latest version, X12 Search 8.5, supports long file names. But in order for this to work, you need also to enable the support in the Windows Registry.
See this post for detailed instructions:
http://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to- ... haracters/

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to General Discussion V8