How Do I Get X1 to Remember My Doc File Type Preferences?

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

How Do I Get X1 to Remember My Doc File Type Preferences?

Postby Vinny » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:12 am

I have a question for you today. I recently purchased X1 Search. I seem to have managed the learning curve pretty well, and I have largely customized the program to reflect my preferences and needs. At this time, there is just one challenge that is vexing me, which I will explain below.

When I am in the main Search Menu window and have selected the Documents tab, the header bar just below the tabs shows various fields as column names, such as file name, document type, date modified, file size, and file path, for the search results window.

I do not particularly like the factory default settings that I find in the document type column field, which are:
doc= OR docx= OR xls= OR xlsx= OR ppt= OR pptx= OR vsd= OR pdf= OR odt= OR sxw= OR ods= OR sxc= OR odp= OR sxi= OR xlsm= OR wpd=

and rather, I prefer the following settings for document file types:
my preferred types: doc= OR docx= OR txt= OR rtf= OR pdf= OR ppt= OR wpd=

which I enter into the document type window into the above-mentioned header bar displayed above search results after I have deleted the factory default settings.

This approach works fine for me, but if I then later exit the X1 Search program, perhaps because I need to re-boot the machine, or for other reasons, when I again load the X1 Search program in Windows at a later date, I find, to my dismay, that the customized document file types that I had entered into the above-mentioned field window for the column have disappeared, and have been replaced by the factory default settings for document file type. This forces me to once again delete the entire string showing factory default document file type settings, and to then paste into the window my preferred doc file type settings. This ritual can get annoying real fast.

So, my question is this: How do I get X1 Search to remember my customized document file type settings for that field/column of the search results display?

Thanks!

--Vinny
Vinny

Re: How Do I Get X1 to Remember My Doc File Type Preferences

Postby Kenward » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:31 am

Vinny wrote:which I enter into the document type window into the above-mentioned header bar displayed above search results after I have deleted the factory default settings.

You cannot delete the factory settings.

Create the search the way you like and the Save As a new favourite search.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to General Discussion V8