Folder Searching - Most Folders Not Indexed As Expected

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

Folder Searching - Most Folders Not Indexed As Expected

Postby Steve Tomalin » Thu May 04, 2017 3:27 am

Hi,

I'm fairly new to X1 so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here, but I have searched through the forums and not found any information on this topic that is particularly useful to me.

There are occasions where I need to search for folders on my hard drive where the folder names contain particular terms, "Time Reports" for example. At this stage I'm not interested in the files within the folders, I just want a list of the folders that match my search criteria.

I have found I can filter on the 'Type' column, using the value 'File Folder', but this currently only produces a hit list of less than 10 folders on my drive, representing just a few items in my 'Favourtites' list (Windows 7, this is). If I then enter my search term in the 'Name' column, it produces the expected result, i.e. to reduce the hit list to just those folders that match my search criteria. This would suggest that X1 is capable of doing exactly what I need but, for some reason, the vast majority of the folders on my drive are not being indexed in the same way as those few within my 'Favourites' list. The items that are currently appearing in the hit list are genuine folders (as opposed to files representing links to folders, for example). Does anyone know of anything I can do to fix this?

I'm happy to perform a full re-index, if there is a logical reason to do so, e.g. a known configuration option I need to change. I don't really want to have to re-index on the off-chance that it might work the next time round; I'd like to try to understand the cause of the issue beforehand.

I do currently have one workaround to this requirement, but it is a real pain to have to go through the process each time. If I filter the 'Path' column, using my search term "Time Reports", for example, this produces a list of all the files in all the folders that match the path filter. I can then export the results to Excel, perform 'Remove Duplicates' on the 'Path' column and then sort the list of the resultant, unique path names. As I already mentioned, it's a real pain!

If anyone could advise and/or assist me with this, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance, Steve
Steve Tomalin

Re: Folder Searching - Most Folders Not Indexed As Expected

Postby Kenward » Thu May 04, 2017 8:20 am

Which search are you using?

Have you investigated choosing different search columns, beyond the default set?

To find stuff by location, look a bit more deeply into the workings of the path column. Combine that with some of the others and you may get nearer to what you want.

You cannot alter the default search sets, Documents for example, but you can add new columns from those available and save the altered set as a new search.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Steve Tomalin » Fri May 05, 2017 4:00 am

Hi Kenward,

Thanks for your response. If I am intepreting your first question correctly, I'm using 'X1 Search 8.5 6001qm (32 bit)'.

Based on your other comments, however, I fear I may not have clearly conveyed this issue I am experiencing here. On the basis that 'a picture paints a thousand words', as they say, below is a link to a Microsoft Onedrive folder that contains two pertinent screenshots:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuB6OfsfRzAwiL9slSmHN26Cdtd0jA

Screenshot 01
This screenshot shows that when I filter all my indexed items by 'Type', using the value "File Folder", out of a quarter of a million items that have been indexed, only 9 of them have been indexed with a 'Type' value of "File Folder" assigned to them. I would have expected all my folders to have been indexed in the same way as these 9.

Screenshot 02
This screenshot shows that when I enter "Websites" (as an example), into the 'Name' column, the hit list is correctly filtered down to the two folders (out of the 9) that contains the filter criteria "Website". This suggests to me that X1 Search is working pretty much the the way I would expect and need.

So, my questions are, therefore:

1) How come only 9 of the folders on my disk appear to have been indexed by X1 Search in the way I would have expected, when I have thousands of other folders that appear to have been missed?

2) What do I need to do to get X1 Search to index the rest of my folders in the same way as the 9 that are highlighted within the screen shots I've provided?

I hope that clarifies the issue here and what I'm trying to achieve.

Kind regards,

Steve
Steve Tomalin

Postby Kenward » Fri May 05, 2017 1:45 pm

When I asked "which search", I wanted to know which of X1 has hard "wired" searches you went for. Documents is a good one to start with. You have gone for All Files which is as good as any.

"Type" is probably not a good way of finding folders. The path is a better choice.

If you have a stack of folders with the same name, they will not have the same path.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to General Discussion V8