No remaining activations left?

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

No remaining activations left?

Postby Joerg Mainusch » Thu May 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Hi All,

since the last update X1 is asking for the key at every system startup.
Unfortunately it seems that the key does not get saved and after some restarts the system tells me that no remaining activations are left.
Since I have x1 running for more than one year I do not have "extended support" and cannot contact x1 to get some help to reactivate the search. Is this "function as designed" to force customers to buy support contracts?
Thanks

Joerg
Joerg Mainusch
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:48 pm

Re: No remaining activations left?

Postby Kenward » Fri May 19, 2017 8:13 am

Joerg Mainusch wrote:since the last update X1 is asking for the key at every system startup.

Send a message to support and they should get you back in business.

Joerg Mainusch wrote:Unfortunately it seems that the key does not get saved and after some restarts the system tells me that no remaining activations are left.

It should be saved. It was here. Something must have got messed up in the upgrade.

Joerg Mainusch wrote:Is this "function as designed" to force customers to buy support contracts?

No. But as a protection against piracy, X1, like Microsoft and Windows, does limit the number of times that you can activate the program. This is why X1 has an option to "deactivate" it should you want to move it to a new PC. (Look at Info, Ctrl+Alt+A.)

If you have X1 on another, old PC, you could deactivate that.

Come to think of it, did you try reentering your key? You don't say.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru
 
Posts: 4068
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:35 am
Location: UK

Re: No remaining activations left?

Postby Joerg Mainusch » Mon May 22, 2017 4:58 am

Thanks for your help.
I never used the key on any other system.
I have contacted suport now, seemed that I do not need extended support to send out an email to them;-)

Cheers
Joerg
Joerg Mainusch
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 11:48 pm

Re: No remaining activations left?

Postby fhassine » Mon May 22, 2017 10:42 pm

I have exactly the same effect since yesterday. The only difference is from before is that the new version of X1 release 8 installed automatically. Since then, the license is asked again and again, and after few attempts, it says no more activation is possible. I have made a request to the support, which a bot responded automatically with no solution. I dont see any "deactivate" button. I am just blocked now... :cry:
fhassine
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 10:35 pm

Re: No remaining activations left?

Postby yellarcat » Thu May 25, 2017 9:00 am

Joerg Mainusch wrote:I have contacted suport now, seemed that I do not need extended support to send out an email to them;-)


You don't need extended support to email them but you will need it for them to respond.

I have been using X1 Search for over a year and it is real good when it works, which for me has not been that often. There is some bug in the software where my index keeps losing files, I will have over 160,000 files indexed one minute and then the next time I go to use it's down to just 60,000. Then it has to re-index back up to 160K and it stays that way for a few days and then back down.

I just did the update hoping that will fix it but that update erased the index. So I figured a clean install would help and uninstalled X1. But when I try to reinstall, it tells me I don't have a valid activation. I have sent several emails to X1 customer support about this. It has been over a week now and not one bleeping response from them. I guess I have to pay their extended support ransom money to get any help in having the software I paid for to work. Seems they have my money so they don't care, unless maybe I am willing to give them more....

Does anyone know of any other search software besides X1, because they will get my money before X1 does.
yellarcat
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:38 pm

Re: No remaining activations left?

Postby cscott » Thu May 25, 2017 4:48 pm

yellarcat wrote:
Joerg Mainusch wrote:I have contacted suport now, seemed that I do not need extended support to send out an email to them;-)


You don't need extended support to email them but you will need it for them to respond.

I have been using X1 Search for over a year and it is real good when it works, which for me has not been that often. There is some bug in the software where my index keeps losing files, I will have over 160,000 files indexed one minute and then the next time I go to use it's down to just 60,000. Then it has to re-index back up to 160K and it stays that way for a few days and then back down.

I just did the update hoping that will fix it but that update erased the index. So I figured a clean install would help and uninstalled X1. But when I try to reinstall, it tells me I don't have a valid activation. I have sent several emails to X1 customer support about this. It has been over a week now and not one bleeping response from them. I guess I have to pay their extended support ransom money to get any help in having the software I paid for to work. Seems they have my money so they don't care, unless maybe I am willing to give them more....

Does anyone know of any other search software besides X1, because they will get my money before X1 does.

Yellarcat, do you have a support case number I can reference?
Chris Scott
Product Manager
X1
cscott
X1 Power User
X1 Power User
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:53 am

Re: No remaining activations left?

Postby cscott » Thu May 25, 2017 4:49 pm

This license activation issue is a known issue with Search 8.5.1 that occurs on a small (~1%) subset of users. It appears you're all some of the "lucky" ones.

We have released Search 8.5.2 today to help alleviate this issue.

Please contact the X1 Customer Care team so that they can assist in getting you all up and running again.
Chris Scott
Product Manager
X1
cscott
X1 Power User
X1 Power User
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:53 am

Re: No remaining activations left?

Postby yellarcat » Fri May 26, 2017 5:58 am

cscott wrote:Yellarcat, do you have a support case number I can reference?


This is the original case # I was given with my indexing problem: Case #:00099337. I was never contacted about my activation problem from last week with a case # for that.

How do I go about installing yesterday's updated version?
yellarcat
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:38 pm

Re: No remaining activations left?

Postby cscott » Fri May 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Yellarcat, the Customer Care team should be reaching out to you soon.

If the license activations are used up, it will be more difficult to install the update, as Search won't launch. Customer Care can reset the activations on our licensing server in order to get you up and going.
Chris Scott
Product Manager
X1
cscott
X1 Power User
X1 Power User
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:53 am


Return to General Discussion V8

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ritarilt and 3 guests