X1 forgetting custom column width settings upon closing

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

X1 forgetting custom column width settings upon closing

Postby inquiro » Mon May 14, 2018 10:11 am

Since the installation of v8.6, which I'm currently running (on a Win 10 desktop PC), I'm experiencing a problem where X1 forgets the custom column widths that I've set every time I close the program. The result is that every time I open the program, the "Name" column, which I've set to be the first column on the left side of the interface, occupies more than the entire width of my screen, forcing me to drag the horizontal scroll bar to even begin to see the second column ("Path").

What is causing this? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks—
George
inquiro

Re: X1 forgetting custom column width settings upon closing

Postby inquiro » Sat May 19, 2018 12:50 pm

In the event that it assists in troubleshooting this issue, I'll mention that since posting my OP, I've noticed that the location of the second column (and of course any columns to the right of the second column, as well) varies with each launch of X1, resulting in greatly differing distances between the left edge of the X1 window and the left edge of the second column. Sometimes the second column is in the location where I set it, but most of the time it is completely off the screen.
inquiro

Postby brentm77 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:36 am

This is driving me crazy. Everytime I reboot, I need to go in and adjust the column widths on all my saved searches. Please let me know if you find a solution.
brentm77

Postby brentm77 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 am

Found this on another thread and it worked for me:

- Open X1
- Click Menu > Options > Search - disable the check box for Proportionally resizing columns when the results pane width changes.
- Click Apply
- Click OK.
- Select one search view - for instance Files > All Files
- Customize columns and then
- Menu > Exit to close X1

Note that the search option mention was hard to find. After clicking "options" the "search" button is above the options, like a column header. It is and odd layout and I never noticed there were other options than the first page.
brentm77

Postby Kenward » Mon May 28, 2018 6:50 am

brentm77 wrote:This is driving me crazy. Everytime I reboot, I need to go in and adjust the column widths on all my saved searches. Please let me know if you find a solution.

Is that searches that you created and saved? Or tweaked versions of the hard-wired searches?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby inquiro » Thu May 31, 2018 2:27 pm

brentm77 wrote:Found this on another thread and it worked for me:

- Open X1
- Click Menu > Options > Search - disable the check box for Proportionally resizing columns when the results pane width changes.
- Click Apply
- Click OK.
- Select one search view - for instance Files > All Files
- Customize columns and then
- Menu > Exit to close X1

Note that the search option mention was hard to find. After clicking "options" the "search" button is above the options, like a column header. It is and odd layout and I never noticed there were other options than the first page.
@brentm77 Thank you, this worked! (Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I just discovered your post.)

George
inquiro

Return to General Discussion V8