Back after a long time (v5.6), now V8 trial.. with questions

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

Back after a long time (v5.6), now V8 trial.. with questions

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:06 am

Hi there,

The last version I had licensed was 5.6.4. I had to quit using X1 for several reasons. It was actually a pity, since I was quite a lot in favor of x1. I always had the beta's installed and helped (I hope) the dev team to improve... Anyway..

Now, after using Windows Search for a couple of years, they took away (actually, Microsoft decided to depreciate that feature) one of my most used features with the installation of Office 2013 - Windows Search does not find anything anymore inside Outlook. I have to do my search within Outlook 2013. And I obviously cannot add that kind of search anymore to Saved Searches. Who knows Windows Search, knows this feature as well.

Anyway, coming back to X1 (currently trial) I find that it has improved in speed, but other than that not so much.
I've opened a case with support, but as a trial customer I do not get much attention. No issues with that. But I thought I would ask you guys:

1 - I noticed that X1 will open zip files, but report the content of the zip files as new (actually of the indexing date). This is most likely wrong, but I wanted to have a confirmation that this might be a bug? Example: I have a zip with a date of 31.3.2010. The date of the files within the zip file are mostly 20.5.2009. Now comes the problem: The date of the same files in the X1 frontend show 22.07.2014 (this is when I started to index). I consider this as a bug. (Or hidden feature if you like). Any comments?

2 - I also find some emails in the x1 GUI, which have embedded pictures. X1 will not show the embedded pictures in the preview window, but only placeholders like <<...>>. I also find line items called ATT32583, ATT12345, etc. of type "File" in the search result windows. Obviously, those are the embedded pictures, but x1 does not understand the format. When clicking on them, I would be presented with the binary stream of the file in the preview window. I remember that there was a similar behaviour in version 5.6.x, but I thought that in the meantime x1 would have a better way of displaying inline pictures from emails.
Or do I have something to do on my Win7 settings?

3 - This, I am not 100% sure, since I do not have a 5.6.x installation anywhere. But I seem to remember that it was possible to save searches to the top bar, so I would not have to retype the search terms again. I used to have this with Windows Search as well and it really saved me a lot of time (i.e. I had a Saved Search called "Excel from Boss.searches-ms" for all emails from my manager that contained an excel file received within the last 2 weeks). It seems to me that such or a similar x1 feature is not there anymore?

Any comments?

Dan
Dan

Win 10
Outlook 2013/2016
Dan
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Re: Back after a long time (v5.6), now V8 trial.. with quest

Postby Kenward » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:25 am

Dan wrote:1 - I noticed that X1 will open zip files, but report the content of the zip files as new (actually of the indexing date). This is most likely wrong, but I wanted to have a confirmation that this might be a bug? Example: I have a zip with a date of 31.3.2010. The date of the files within the zip file are mostly 20.5.2009. Now comes the problem: The date of the same files in the X1 frontend show 22.07.2014 (this is when I started to index). I consider this as a bug. (Or hidden feature if you like). Any comments?

I don't see this. Maybe I don't understand it though.

Are you showing the right column for the date? There are plenty to choose from.

I have found a PDF file, based on its content, that sits in a zip file. It shows various dates. If I show the Date Modified column the information is the same as it appears in the zip itself.

In general, I find that X1 is a pig when it comes to all those columns. The "hard wired" searches are a mess. The Everything searches come with all sorts of extraneous junk? Do I need to know the "duration" of a file? (That column comes from a "Meeting" entry.)

I have spent some of this afternoon weeding out rubbish. You might find it fruitful to investigate the columns and to find the ones that work for you and do what you want.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:30 am

Dan wrote:3 - This, I am not 100% sure, since I do not have a 5.6.x installation anywhere. But I seem to remember that it was possible to save searches to the top bar, so I would not have to retype the search terms again.

You need this:

Create Saved Search

and you can add saved searches to the Favorites Bar.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Dan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:27 am

Kenward wrote:You need this:
Create Saved Search
and you can add saved searches to the Favorites Bar.

Hi MK,
Hmm.. I should have seen this. Not as elegant as in Windows Searches, but it works.
Thanks
Dan
Dan

Win 10
Outlook 2013/2016
Dan
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Dan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:37 am

Kenward wrote:
Dan wrote:1 - I noticed that X1 will open zip files, but report the content of the zip files as new (actually of the indexing date). This is most likely wrong, but I wanted to have a confirmation that this might be a bug? Example: I have a zip with a date of 31.3.2010. The date of the files within the zip file are mostly 20.5.2009. Now comes the problem: The date of the same files in the X1 frontend show 22.07.2014 (this is when I started to index). I consider this as a bug. (Or hidden feature if you like). Any comments?

I don't see this. Maybe I don't understand it though.

Are you showing the right column for the date? There are plenty to choose from.

I have not changed anything on the columns so far. See attached picture at http://screencast.com/t/NnG5kdVyHofD. I have excluded that folder in the meantime.

Dan
Dan

Win 10
Outlook 2013/2016
Dan
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:40 am

Dan wrote:I have not changed anything on the columns so far.

Well, why not look at the columns as I suggested?

I can't follow that image. Too busy, and showing odd columns that seem to be a mixture of file and email data.

This means that it is not possible to tell which column you have showing THIS WEEK in your screenshot.

Work out what you want to do, save a search, then create a view that includes only the columns that you need. Then when you come back to the task you will get the answer much more quickly.

As I pointed out, the date you are picking up for the file within a file is not what I see. The contents of a zip file reveal the correct dates for those files. This suggests to me that you are looking at the wrong information. I can't believe that your installation of X1 is playing tricks just to upset you.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Chris Wheaton » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:13 am

Don - As you know I have your open support case for this very issue. While I haven't address this matter completely in the case discussion, I have been trying to figure out how to say what Kenward seems to be saying here.

Kenward is right - the shots are confusing, but not by something you did or didn't do correctly. Rather, you're using the Everything > All Search view which is pulling result from Outlook data sources, as well as from sources that are "files on disk". Therefore, some of the columns displayed may be applicable to email results or applicable to other Outlook data types only, while other columns are for File data sources only and are not applicable to Outlook data.

If you look at the available columns under this search there are 6 total "date" related options:

Date/time (date time received)
Date Modified
Date Created
Start date
Due Date
Completed Date

I suspect that Start Date, Due Date, and Completed Date are not applicable to our needs here. Therefore, if you were to line up Date/Time, Date Modified, and Date Created fields within the Everything > All Search view - it might be easier to determine why we're seeing these apparent contradictions in the date fields.

Certainly using one of the more focused Search options could help here as well. For instance, if this is a Zip file save to disk using Files > All Files search would eliminate search columns that apply to Outlook data types and may in turn eliminate some of the confusion regarding the date fields.
responses to you here in regard to looking at more columns is likely going to solve the mystery (I was
Sincerely,

Chris Wheaton
Technical Support
Customer Care Rep.

www.X1.com
Chris Wheaton
X1 Rep
X1 Rep

Postby @its4u2 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:49 am

Looks like there is another trial customer not only not receiving any attention (hey trial doesn't go to full unless you help these people0 but also other problems. Perhaps v8 is just glamorous on the surface but underneath lurk the same old problems. Anyone found the one in the preview pane display, Use antialising does not stay on after closing and reopening x1?
@its4u2

Postby Kenward » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:59 am

@its4u2 wrote:Anyone found the one in the preview pane display, Use antialising does not stay on after closing and reopening x1?

Perhaps you could explain what this means. Maybe X1's technical team will understand it but it is gibberish to me and maybe to other users, so you aren't likely to get any help in what is, after all, essentially a user-to-user forum.

If you want official help, use the appropriate channels. X1 does not discriminate against trial customers.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby @its4u2 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:50 am

X1 doesn't discriminate against trial customers. It just doesn't support them with trial installation problems. No one here has been able to resolve the one about not being able to install X1 v8 because of a proxy problem where no proxy problem exists that I know of. If no-one from the company provides support to those users who have that kind of problem as trial customers then it is hardly conceivable the vast majority will become X1 customers.
@its4u2

Postby @its4u2 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:49 am

My reference to a problem in the viewer was due to finding that under display settings the option to set antialiasing would not stay set from session to session, hence some awful looking print in preview unless one goes in each time to switch anti-aliasing back on.
@its4u2

Postby Kenward » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:12 am

@its4u2 wrote:X1 doesn't discriminate against trial customers. It just doesn't support them with trial installation problems.

Have you tried? Or are you just assuming?

I have seen various messages around here trying to troubleshoot the "poxy proxy" issue. Trouble is it seems to depend a lot on what is going on at the user's end, and X1 can't know that.

It doesn't help that X1 insists on using a user hostile "stub" to initiate installation. Why can't they just let people download the msi files?

@its4u2 wrote:No one here has been able to resolve the one about not being able to install X1 v8 because of a proxy problem where no proxy problem exists that I know of.

Two things there where is "here"? At your end? Or in this forum?

As to the "that I know of", I'd better not respond to that.

@its4u2 wrote:My reference to a problem in the viewer was due to finding that under display settings the option to set antialiasing would not stay set from session to session, hence some awful looking print in preview unless one goes in each time to switch anti-aliasing back on.

I see what you mean now. It is buried down in the configuration of the viewers. (I've never needed it.) As the Window you are looking at does nothing when you press Help, I suspect that this is really something going on in the viewer software that X1 buys in.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to General Discussion V8