Text not marked

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

Text not marked

Postby mrwul » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:48 am

In the preview panel (pdf) - the searched text is still not highlighted.
When will this be fixed?

thanks
=
X1 Search 8.3 b5001lw (64-bit)
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: Text not marked

Postby Kenward » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:23 am

What sort of PDF files are these? Scanned and OCRd images?

I suspect that this is another one outside X1's control. You will see the same behaviour in other viewers, including QuickView Plus, one of the "engines" that supports X1.

It is a real pain. To find things in these files I have to open them and then search the file.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mrwul » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:58 pm

They are all 'searchable' .pdf-files.
For instance:
one (very big) category consists of chronicles consisting of searchable text only
the other category are scanned documents, Acrobat converted to text documents, maybe the quality is not 'top notch' but then again
=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Kenward » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:46 am

mrwul wrote:They are all 'searchable' .pdf-files.
For instance:
one (very big) category consists of chronicles consisting of searchable text only

Not knowing how you created these files, it is difficult to know why X1 cannot highlight text in the viewer pane. I have never encountered that with "traditional" PDF files. It always highlights search terms.

mrwul wrote:the other category are scanned documents, Acrobat converted to text documents, maybe the quality is not 'top notch' but then again
=

These are the files that don't consistently highlight for me in anything other than a PDF reader, any reader. (I don't have Adobe Reader on my PC.) Strangely, though, it sometimes flags up the search term when I use the Next match button at the bottom of the viewer pane.

You might be able to get the text to highlight if you did away with the image overlay. In other words if you used the OCR process to create a text-only PDF. But then you lose the look of the original document.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby mrwul » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:26 am

When I have Acrobat create an index and have it search, then the text is marked.

Yes, It is difficult to tell when X1 indeed marks searched text.
However, I do have the impression that it only marks text when the actual source document has been pure text that has been converted to pdf in 2nd instance.
So, like a Word document, Excel, or text of a website.

I think if a document has first been saved as a pdf (e.g. scanned document for instance) and then OCR'ed/made searchable,
then likely the search text is not marked. At least that happened with a number of search tests.

=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to General Discussion V8