Please can we have user-configurable hotkeys to searches!

Check in here for general discussion about Search Version 8

Moderator: Mods

Please can we have user-configurable hotkeys to searches!

Postby shiphen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:38 pm

Hello

Please can you give us the more hotkeys - particularly I would like ability to set hotkeys for searches that we have made into our Favorites.

Please not that I feel VERY strongly about this. Failure to provide this makes X1 Search effectively "dead in the water" for me and is very close to being a deal breaker...

With thanks

J
shiphen
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: Please can we have user-configurable hotkeys to searches

Postby shiphen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:47 am

Any news?
shiphen
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Jogy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:43 am

Will be included in 8.5 release
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby AGlassman » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:29 pm

I also would like to see this capability. Specifically for Searches that are on the Favorites bar.
AGlassman

Postby Kenward » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:49 am

AGlassman wrote:I also would like to see this capability. Specifically for Searches that are on the Favorites bar.

That's a particularly fine idea.

On a related note, one option that I use when software is lacking in access options for keyboard jockeys is to use macro software to "de-mouse" that the program I am trying to control. I can sometimes do this by using combinations of alt/tab/ctrl and other keys.

If you look at X1, it really is mouse centric in the extreme. You cannot tab between those searches on the Favorites bar.

I don't know if X1 has any blind users, but as I understand it for them keyboard control is essential because they can program speech recognition software to make things happen.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby shiphen » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:49 am

@AGlassman ++

J

PS Any news on when we can expect v8.5 to be released?
shiphen
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Jogy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:11 am

shiphen wrote:@AGlassman ++

J

PS Any news on when we can expect v8.5 to be released?

Hello,

there is no exact date yet. I can tell you that some requested features like the configurable hotkeys are already implemented, so they definitely will be included in 8.5, but there is ongoing work on other parts of the application, which will take a while (maybe 2-3 months)

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby danher » Tue May 17, 2016 4:42 am

One specific instance in which a user-configurable hotkey would be very useful is for the following (at least for me) very common scenario:
I search for an email from a particular person. Once found, though, I need to see further emails in the thread of the found email, i.e. effectively search again with the subject of that email.
Currently the only way I know to achieve this is to copy the subject, clear the search and finally search again pasting the subject in the appropriate field. I find myself doing this in two out of three searches so would love to have a "find related mails" shortcut assoiciated with a hotkey.

Thanks
-Daniel
danher

Postby danher » Tue May 30, 2017 11:58 pm

It took some time but now with 8.5.2 my request to provide a way to search for the subject of an otherwise found e-mail has been fulfilled! Specifically the ability to refine a search by choosing "Filter by selected item" in a column yields the desired results. I don't know if this is bound to a hotkey, but personally don't care...
Thanks to the product management and developer teams for providing this feature!
danher

Return to General Discussion V8