PDF Search Term Highlighting in preview window

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

PDF Search Term Highlighting in preview window

Postby DaVo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:10 am

Hi all,

I already posted my problem here: (http://forums.x1.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5014) as it is exactly what I experience, but as it is the wrong board I would like to post it here again:

I'm currently searching for a supporting tool to find parts of text in my scanned PDFs as I'm trying to go for a paperless office. For this, I need a powerful search tool with PDF-indexing. I hoped to find such in X1 search and really like the GUI, the way of searching and the possibities like "Open folder". What I really don't like is the fact, that the file preview of X1 does not highlight the search terms that I was searching for. I learnt already, that this has something to do with the way the files are scanned. But honestly: The competitors that I'm trying out concurrently (Copernic Desktop search and Lookeen) indeed DO highlight the correct words in the same files. So this is definitively a matter of X1. Where I have to say that I generaty my PDFs with Kodak Capture Pro, which is a high quality professional tool and is not in discussion to be changed

So could anyone tell my whether there are plans to change the file preview of X1 to be able to highlight the search terms in the future? Otherwise I regret to be forced to take one of the (in many other cases worse) competitors.
DaVo

Re: PDF Search Term Highlighting in preview window

Postby Kenward » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:43 am

You will not get a different answer from the one posted in the other section.

What you are seeing is a "feature" of scanned PDF files. They consist of an image of the scan with a text overlay.

X1 seems to search the text overlay to find words but displays the image. It is not capable of presenting the two at the same time.

X1 uses Inso viewers to show the files it finds. These are also the viewers used in QuickView Plus. Unfortunately, these can't highlight words in scanned PDFs either. I'm not sure that it can even find words.

As I have said already, X1 is looking into using newer viewers. There is a new version of QuickView Plus, but it now requires an expensive annual licence, so I am not going to investigate that to see if it fixes this defect.

Out of interest, which index and search software have you found that can highlight text in scanned PDFs? The only software that seems to come near X1 is dtSearch, albeit much more expensive.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby DaVo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 am

First: Thank you for your support. Please don't fell offended, I just thought that probably anyone from X1 is looking into this board and can tell anything less-rumoric. For example it would be very interesting to know some timeline for "the new viewer". This year? 2020?

As I have said already, Copernic Desktop Search as well as Lookeen can both highlight the text in the same scanned PDFs, that X1 is obviously only showing as image. So it is working in some way and it would be very sad if X1 cannot solve this in the near future (especially as I'm not the only one looking for this feature).
DaVo

Postby Kenward » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 am

If the X1 team wants to add more to the information you have seen already, they will contribute to this discussion. They visit the forum regularly and will contribute when they have something that they want to add. For a personal response, send them a support request.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Bugs V8