(resolved) Unable to connect to X1 Service: All...

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

(resolved) Unable to connect to X1 Service: All...

Postby kblount » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:50 pm

Unable to connect to X1 Service: All attempts to start and connect to X1servicehost failed.

I'm getting this error in Windows 7 while attempting to start up X1. It worked fine, but then it just stopped working. Because it auto-updated itself, I cannot reinstall the most recent version that I should have access to, but since my "service agreement" has expired, I cannot redownload my most recent version to try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Is my only hope to pay for X1 again to get another year of service? Anyone have any suggestions on something I can try that does not involved uninstalling and reinstalling? Unfortunately the Add/Remove programs entry for X1 does not have a "repair" option.
Last edited by kblount on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
kblount

Re: Unable to connect to X1 Service: All attempts to start..

Postby Kenward » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:33 am

kblount wrote: Because it auto-updated itself, I cannot reinstall the most recent version that I should have access to,

You should still be able to get to older versions that you are entitled to.

Login to the Premium Support area and look for the download:

Product Support for Desktop Search

If you want help in fixing the problem, you have to tell people a bit more about your system, version of Windows and anything else that might be relevant.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby kblount » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:47 am

Windows 7. What else is relevant? (Serious question). It worked one day and the next it did not.

I'd love to be able to load it up and tell you version number and things like that, but it does not load up. I get this error and it crashes back to desktop.
kblount

Postby Kenward » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:56 am

kblount wrote:Windows 7. What else is relevant? (Serious question).

The "bitness" (32 or 64) for a start.

Did you try to get an earlier version as suggested?
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby kblount » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:02 am

It is 64-bit Windows 7.

Unfortunately, my account only shows the older 6.** versions being available to download (which is installed on my desktop at work). This laptop is using a version that another employee had purchased before he left the company, and then with Chris Wheaton's help, I deactivated the license on his PC, and transferred it to my travel laptop. Until I get back to the office and find his login information, I'm not going to be able to actually redownload the installation file.

EDIT: I found a copy in my downloads directory on this PC, so I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled, but during installation I get an error: Unable to complete installation due to unexpected error. Please see logs for details.

The only even in the system logs that shows up just after installation is the following:

The description for Event ID 255 from source iumsvc cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Service stopped.

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table
kblount

Postby kblount » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:19 am

And then after posting this, I tried one more time (after three failures), and the installation appears to have worked. Well, worked in that it reinstalled the program.

It still errors out when attempting to connect to the index service with the same error I started this thread with.
kblount

Postby kblount » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:00 pm

So I submitted a case, received a response, tried said response, and it did not fix the problem. I responded to the email that had been sent, and the X1 dashboard indicates that I sent a response, but it has been over a week, and I've heard nothing else from anyone at X1.

Does their service system work?
kblount

Postby Kenward » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:49 am

kblount wrote:Does their service system work?

I haven't seen much sign of life in that area of late.

The latest beta version is pretty old. Let's hope they come back to life before it expires.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby kblount » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:59 am

I wanted to update this thread on how this problem was resolved.

I had an online meeting with someone from X1, and they had me download a package called WCF Tools. From that I ran a program called handle.exe that is put out by sysinternals.com, and it output a text file with a large list of things that do not mean much to me. By searching for “net.pipe” within the text file, he was able to focus in a program called Rzwizard, which is something Razer installs with their mice (according to the internet). After disabling this Razer wizard Windows service and removing the program from Windows startup (both through MSConfig), X1 began working again after a reboot.

I have no idea why Razer wizard was in conflict with X1 or if it was an X1 update or Razer update that caused the problems, but, X1 is working again. If, though, you run into similar problems and you are using a Razer product, it may be worth looking into as a potential source of conflict.
kblount

Return to Bugs V8