x1 crashes on opening

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

x1 crashes on opening

Postby igreen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:04 am

Every time I try to start X1 it crashes. A message appears stating
"unable to connect to X1 Service:"
"All attempts to start and connect to X1ServiceHost Failed"

I am unable to get a response from x1 support after sending emails over the past few weeks.
Any suggestions?
igreen

Re: x1 crashes on opening

Postby something » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:23 am

Same here. To me it always happens after notebook comes back from Resume (on the first open of X1 after that).

I sent crash reports to X1 about 10+ times, never heard back from them and the problem persisted until this week (I upgraded to 8.5, which is also crashing, but differently).
something

Postby igreen » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Out of frustration I have uninstalled X1 and reinstalled the new version 8.5 from scratch (the upgrade did not work)
Now it opens (yey!)
But the indexing still does not work. The file indexing gets to 81% and locks up. The gmail indexing returns an error every time.
When I restart X1 the whole process starts again.
How can they sell a product that does not work and then not respond meaningfully to support requests!
igreen

Postby something » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:52 am

> Out of frustration I have uninstalled X1 and reinstalled the new version 8.5 from scratch (the upgrade did not work)
> Now it opens (yey!)

Good for you (to a degree)!
I tried to do the same but although I didn't remove the license, now my X1 refuses to activate the license. Incredible!

I'd try to remove (disable) Gmail indexing if that's what may be the reason of X1 getting stuck.

> How can they sell a product that does not work and then not respond meaningfully to support requests!

I've been thinking the same. Last year I decided to buy support since X1 I had didn't work well (I wanted to have access to upgrades), but subsequent upgrades proved to be buggy in different ways.
For example with 8.4 I had regular crashes after each resume-from-suspend. That was annoying (had to restart the damn thing multiple times every day), but now I after an "upgrade" to the non-working 8.5 I have nothing and I'm back to Windows Search.
To your point about support requests: I had my 8.4 enabled to submit crash reports so they must have received dozens of them in the past year.

Because the product is so fragile, I keep my Sources to a bare minimum (just local files and Outlook (the latter I never search, maybe I should disable that too)) but even that is too much.
I'm not sure if I should continue with X1.

Edit: I just tried to run X1 setup again, now my license check passed. Incredible. Days of downtime because their license checking service is crappy.

Edit 2: Check out viewtopic.php?f=68&t=18003 some dude's indexing also gets stuck at 80%. The post contains some troubleshooting steps with workarounds.

Edit 3: after deleting the index from Options and reinstalling 8.5 from scratch, I disabled all extensions which I don't care about and added only MS Office, PDF, and TEXT/TXT/ASC.
I also enabled X1 to start with Windows because in my services.msc I don't see any X1* service, don't know why is that - I think there used to be X1Search* in there. I had problems "Connecting to Search Service..." prior to deleting the index and reinstalling (twice), so may be this auto-start helps, maybe it doesn't.
Now everything is working fine. I can't see how much index space and system resources I save by not indexing all the stuff I didn't (really) need, but so far so good. My data and the index are on SSD and it took me about 10 mins to reindex my 50K docs.
something

Postby igreen » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks for your reply.
X1 remains a problem. The other day I opened it up and noticed that the indexing was complete. I thought that was very quick. On checking I realized why. For some reason X1 had deleted the index and there were only a few files present. Basically it was indexing nothing.
I did as you suggested. I removed all files that I was not interested. I have about 150K files. Both my OS and data drive are on Samsung SSD drived. My PC has been on 24 hours a day for 5 days and the indexing is still not complete!

I finally got a reply (after nearly one month) from X1 "support" requesting diagnostic data again.
It seems that the work flow for support is
- user submit problem
-wait one month
- get a reply requesting diagnostic data
- user sends diagnostic data
- wait one month
- get a reply requesting diagnostic data
- user sends diagnostic data
- wait one month
... repeat until user gives up
- user goes away
- problem solved!!
-X1 support happy

Frustrating
igreen

Postby Kenward » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 am

something wrote:I tried to do the same but although I didn't remove the license, now my X1 refuses to activate the license. Incredible!

There is now an option to Deactivate X1 before you uninstall it. (It is in the Product Info area of the menu.)

X1 is much like other software in this respect. Adobe, Nuance and others all try to protect themselves from piracy using an "activation" process. It is a nuisance, but the option to Deactivate is a step in the right direction.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Crfield » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:27 am

I'm having the same problem with both the "unable to ... index service" thing and their amazing support. Uninstalled and reinstalled a bunch of times and no luck with the software or the support. I was looking at my account and discovered that I'b been using this software since 2004 and then occurred to me that it has NEVER been stable. One continuous wrestling match to get it to run from then to now. Do you think X1 will read this forum and help us?
Crfield

Postby cebemartins » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:17 pm

I started having same problem today
Stopped opening, uninstall, install, uninstall, install win 10 64 bits version and nothing happening
Download from
http://download.x1.com/downloads/search ... Search.msi

Is there anything to do ?

Carlos
cebemartins

Return to Bugs V8