Totally breaks Outlook 2013 in Office Pro (32 Bit)

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

Totally breaks Outlook 2013 in Office Pro (32 Bit)

Postby paulrob » Thu May 09, 2013 5:56 am

I have Office Pro installed and Outlook has been working fine for weeks and months since installing it. Installed the released and fully licensed & activated X1 Search 8, and now Outlook won't work. It starts and opens at the inbox but NOTHING is clickable, not even the X box at the top right of the screen.

I went to the Control Panel and did a repair for Outlook 2013. Problem persists even after rebooting. Did a full repair. Problem persists. Did a reinstallation of Office 2013, problem persists. Uninstalled X1 Search8 and Outlook 2013 started working normally again immediately.

This is seriously broken software. I've posted a service request, as I paid for "premium" service when I bought this program, but then I was told that Premium service has a turn around time of 36 hours. That's 3 days with a broken machine after paying PREMIUM service??? I'd hate to see what the regular service response would be like. I really need to vent here. Seriously. But I don't want to get the peeps in X1 offside before they have a go at fixing the problem. In the meantime I've used one of my 10 allowed downloads to get a broken system, because the installer increments the download count each time it's run. I'm really hating this stuff right now. If they can't fix it inside of a week I'll be asking for a full refund, as they said it supports Office 2013.
------------------------------------------
paulrob
Lenovo ThinkPad Twist S230 Touch-screen tablet-convertible ultrabook laptopm
Core i7 Processor, 8 GB RAM 256 GB SSD
Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit, Office 2013 Pro
paulrob

Re: Totally breaks Outlook 2013 in Office Pro (32 Bit)

Postby mrwul » Sat May 11, 2013 8:14 am

Hi Paulrob, weird, I have Office 2013 (32b) / WIndows 7 x64 here. Everything seems to work fine (as far as Office is concerned).
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby paulrob » Sat May 11, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi mrwul

Thanks for the comment. It's a little encouraging that it has the potential to work okay, but I'm still having problems. Is your version of office the PRO version or the 365 version? A nice person from X1's customer service wrote back to me with some detailed things to try. These things got me working again, but without one of the features of X1 working. See below...

[list=]Uninstall X1 (which I'd already done) without retaining the settings and reboot.
Then I reinstalled it (from a link he gave me, but I think it was the same version of SW - same byte count).
The installer said my Outlook was still running and it wanted to shut it down. Instead of letting X1 shut Outlook down, I exited the installer and rebooted my machine completely, and ran the installer again with Outlook 2013 not having been run in that session.
The installer ran okay and activated my full license again.
At the end of the installation it indicated that it was successful, but instead of starting X1, I exited that menu and restarted the machine again. X1 started up ok and started indexing my machine as expected.
Then I followed the Customer Service person's instructions to "Edit the Outlook Email Data Source and disable Real-Time Indexing".
After that I started Outlook 2013 and it worked just fine. I was able to send and receive emails ok and it wasn't frozen.
As a further test, I closed Outlook 2013 and re-enabled the real-time indexing in X1 and restarted Outlook 2013. Outlook got to the inbox screen then froze completely as per my original installation. Nothing clickable, no response, no ability to exit the program (except when forced from the Task Manager).
So I force-closed Outlook from the Task Manager and set the real-time indexing in X1 back to disable. Outlook now works again ok.
Then I took two screen shots to send to Customer service as below:
One shows the CPU is being hogged at 47% (this is probably one whole core of the Core i& processor at nearly 100%) by Outlook (moving up/down only slightly over a min or so) with X1's real-time indexing ON and Outlook 2013's GUI "Frozen".
The other shows Outlook working normally with X1 Real Time Indexing turned off. Outlook in this working condition is hardly blipping the CPU time numbers above zero.[/list]

I do look forward to Customer Service getting back to me with more to try, or a fix for the real time indexing. At least for now I have both programs working together now, so I'm much more relieved about it.
------------------------------------------
paulrob
Lenovo ThinkPad Twist S230 Touch-screen tablet-convertible ultrabook laptopm
Core i7 Processor, 8 GB RAM 256 GB SSD
Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit, Office 2013 Pro
paulrob

Postby mrwul » Sun May 12, 2013 6:55 am

I am using the "Office Home and Business" version (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/home-and-business/) not the 365 one.
Have "Realtime indexing".

On the other hand, I have reported issues with regards to X1 freezing up (separate thread, viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5918)

Hopefully X1 does not have some kind of memory problem.

=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Rhonda » Mon May 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Greetings Paul,

We are looking into issues concerning 2015 and 365.

I will check in when I learn more.

Regards,

Rhonda

paulrob wrote:I have Office Pro installed and Outlook has been working fine for weeks and months since installing it. Installed the released and fully licensed & activated X1 Search 8, and now Outlook won't work. It starts and opens at the inbox but NOTHING is clickable, not even the X box at the top right of the screen.

I went to the Control Panel and did a repair for Outlook 2013. Problem persists even after rebooting. Did a full repair. Problem persists. Did a reinstallation of Office 2013, problem persists. Uninstalled X1 Search8 and Outlook 2013 started working normally again immediately.

This is seriously broken software. I've posted a service request, as I paid for "premium" service when I bought this program, but then I was told that Premium service has a turn around time of 36 hours. That's 3 days with a broken machine after paying PREMIUM service??? I'd hate to see what the regular service response would be like. I really need to vent here. Seriously. But I don't want to get the peeps in X1 offside before they have a go at fixing the problem. In the meantime I've used one of my 10 allowed downloads to get a broken system, because the installer increments the download count each time it's run. I'm really hating this stuff right now. If they can't fix it inside of a week I'll be asking for a full refund, as they said it supports Office 2013.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Bugs V8