Outlook 2013: Hard Lockup

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

Outlook 2013: Hard Lockup

Postby mvinarcik » Thu May 09, 2013 7:12 am

I'm a longtime X1 user...but I left it behind when I got a new Win8 PC. I installed the trial last night...and now my Outlook is locked up.

I let it index all night and it completed (all files/Outlook show complete), but when I launch Outlook 2013 the main screen comes up...and that's it. I can't open any e-mails, switch inboxes, pull up my calendar, etc.

Any thoughts?
mvinarcik

Re: Outlook 2013: Hard Lockup

Postby cwalmquist » Thu May 09, 2013 8:06 am

I have the same problem. With X1 8 installed, Outlook 2013 will start, but is completely locked up (i.e., completely unresponsive to anything, including moving or minimizing the window). The only things that seems to get Outlook working again is to uninstall X1 8. Just killing all X1 8 processes doesn't seem to do the trick.

I too am a long time user of X1. I am running Office 2013 on a Windows 7 SP1 machine.

Charlie
cwalmquist

Postby mvinarcik » Thu May 09, 2013 9:20 am

That's it exactly. OK, I'll uninstall X1. Too bad, it looked really promising from a speed standpoint.
mvinarcik

Postby cwalmquist » Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm

It gets stranger. Here's how it's been for me:

1. Started with a Office (& Outlook) 2013 installed alonside X1 Professional Client. Everything has worked perfectly for months.
2. Installed X1 8.
3. Outlook 2013 totally locked up.
4. Stopped X1 8 and all processes associated with it.
5. Outlook still locked up.
6. Uninstalled X1 8.
7. Outlook works normally.
8. Reinstalled X1 Pro Client, which had been working flawlessly.
9. Outlook 2013 totally locked up.
10. Uninstalled X1 Pro CLient.
11. Outlook works normally.

So now I can't even seem to go back to X1 Professional Client. X1 is now completely broken and useless.

Help please, X1 support. This installation is hosed.

Charlie
cwalmquist

Postby csalsa » Thu May 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Did you try removing Outlook as a Data Source?

I have exactly the same problem and found the exact problem with installing/uninstalling that you found but have been too busy lately to look at X1 and the Data Source myself. I was hoping to be able to continue to use X1 for searching files. I expect a X1 Plugin injected into Outlook is the culprit. And fixes were being made to Outlook integration (for Outlook 2013) issues right up to the last beta releases. I would like to hear from X1 Support on this issue.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby cwalmquist » Thu May 09, 2013 3:25 pm

I may not understand what you're saying, but if I remove Outlook as a data source, I lose (I think) one of the most useful features of X1, the ability to search email. I might as well leave X1/8 uninstalled.

I don't think it was an Outlook plug-in causing the problem, because I have always done custom installs and select to not install the Office and Outlook plugins.

I hope X1 is paying attention. I'm going to have look for another solution if this isn't resolved quickly. I use X1 search many times a day.

Thanks for your input,

Charlie
cwalmquist

Postby Kenward » Fri May 10, 2013 1:58 am

Early on in the beta tests there were questions about the installed version of Outlook 2013. It seems that Microsoft offers some sort of virtual "Click-to-Run" installation that isn't quite the same thing as the full monty.

I thought X1 had sorted this out, I just offer it to those who are trying to track down what is going wrong on their PCs.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby cwalmquist » Fri May 10, 2013 7:16 am

I installed Office 2013 from an ISO image, not from the web-based "Click to Run", so I don't think that enters into the problem, at least as far as my installation is concerned.

Thanks for the input.

Hello X1 support, anybody there?

Charlie
cwalmquist

Postby mvinarcik » Fri May 10, 2013 7:53 am

Same here...installed from disc.

Uninstalled X1 and Outlook magically came back to life.

What's a bit disappointing is that it's been several days since the launch, at least 3 of us are reporting problems, and there's been no response from X1 support acknowledging the problem.
mvinarcik

Postby Rhonda » Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Hey All,

As I mentioned in previous threads we have fond some problems with a handful of 2013 users. The problems appear to be more from the 365 side and we've also reported users that have had no problems at all.

I notice some of you have already but if you haven't done so can you let me know if you're on 365? and also your OS and bit. thanks, I'll be checking in this thread periodically until we nail this down and I am hoping for a fix in the next release.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby cwalmquist » Mon May 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Rondata,

I have the hard lockup problem with Outlook 2013. I am not running nor do I have a subscription to Office 365, mine was a local install from an ISO image. I am running Win 7x64 SP1. My Outlook pst files are about 3 GB, the OST smaller (but growing), and I index about 90 GB of files and documents.

I am running Outlook using the Outlook.com connector, so that the local Outlook stays synced with the cloud server. Maybe this is the same thing as what's ailing the Office 365 users.

As I mentioned earlier, my original X1 Professional Client 6.7.4 installation, which worked perfectly before, now also breaks Outlook 2013 (after uninstall of X1/8 and reinstall of 6.7.4)

Following another suggestion, I disabled real-time indexing for Outlook (in x1/8). That allowed Outlook to at least run. Until it's done indexing, I can't be sure it's worked.

Thanks for responding.

Charlie
cwalmquist

Postby csalsa » Mon May 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Rondata,

Very similar to Charlie:
I have the hard lockup problem with Outlook 2013 32-bit (fully patched). I am not running nor do I have a subscription to Office 365, mine was a local install from a downloaded ISO image. I am running Win 7x64 SP1 (fully patched). My Outlook uses OST files and I have not added PST files for indexing.

I am running Outlook using the Microsoft standard connector for Hotmail. I have three accounts for Hotmail account, POP3 ISP and a Gmail IMAP account.

I have been running the V7 betas and have not had a lockup like this in any, even the most recent, V7 version. I gave up and uninstalled V8 but will try again with the next release.

Developers making significant changes in a final release always has risk and is an anti-pattern. Thus the use of "Release Candidates". Separate to this issue, adding "activation" also caused problems for and I feel should have been in a "Release Candidate".
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Rhonda » Mon May 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Thank you for the feedback.

I totally understand your concerns and I do apologize for the difficulties that you have been experiencing. We are planning to nail down the 2013 problems and our developers are looking into them as we speak.

Regarding the lockup -- We did address a bad lock up problem in the beta before last -- in fact it was very significant bug so I am really hoping you are not experiencing that.

I would like to talk to the QA and possibly reach out to you through email so we can further discuss your particular problem. Regarding the comments on organization, developing, releasing and risks --I totally understand everything you are saying -- I can only say and assure you that we are always working and constantly striving to make our own internal processes run smoother.

Regards,

Rhonda

csalsa wrote:Rondata,

Very similar to Charlie:
I have the hard lockup problem with Outlook 2013 32-bit (fully patched). I am not running nor do I have a subscription to Office 365, mine was a local install from a downloaded ISO image. I am running Win 7x64 SP1 (fully patched). My Outlook uses OST files and I have not added PST files for indexing.

I am running Outlook using the Microsoft standard connector for Hotmail. I have three accounts for Hotmail account, POP3 ISP and a Gmail IMAP account.

I have been running the V7 betas and have not had a lockup like this in any, even the most recent, V7 version. I gave up and uninstalled V8 but will try again with the next release.

Developers making significant changes in a final release always has risk and is an anti-pattern. Thus the use of "Release Candidates". Separate to this issue, adding "activation" also caused problems for and I feel should have been in a "Release Candidate".
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby csalsa » Mon May 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi Rhonda

Thanks for your response. I am pleased that the X1 team is responding to posts in the forums. It was quiet for a time.

Looking forward to the X1 update. I am sure X1 users see X1 8 as a good product once the big issues are out of the way.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Rhonda » Mon May 13, 2013 5:20 pm

No problem. In fact, I'll be sticking around :)

Expect some forum reorg soon, and also -- feel free to directly message me if you think that I've missed something important.

Regards,

Rhonda
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby cwalmquist » Mon May 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks, Rhonda. I really like X1, and I've tried a lot of search products, some free, some cheaper. I've always come back to X1. I hope this can be made to work. X1 has been an essential part of my daily computing experience for quite a few years now.

But not today.

Charlie
cwalmquist

Postby Rhonda » Mon May 13, 2013 6:38 pm

cwalmquist wrote:Thanks, Rhonda. I really like X1, and I've tried a lot of search products, some free, some cheaper. I've always come back to X1. I hope this can be made to work. X1 has been an essential part of my daily computing experience for quite a few years now.

But not today.

Charlie

That's the goal, and yes we'll figure it out :)

Thanks for the feedback :)
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Bugs V8