Licensing Hell

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

Licensing Hell

Postby smbrannon » Tue May 14, 2013 7:47 am

OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit with all patches applied.

I did a clean install of X1 8 on a new machine. It worked fine for a couple of days, until today when I tried to use it and got the following message:

Your paid license of X1 Search has expired. To continue using X1 Search, please renew your license by clicking 'Buy Now.'

I re-entered the X1 license info I received on May 8, the same that had worked previously, and was rewarded with an error dialog box:

There was a problem activating your license.
Error(9201) There was a problem saving the license.

Of course the fact that my bright new shiny X1 8 isn't working is a pisser, but what REALLY sucks is that it appears that X1 has moved to a 'software rental' license without my knowing it. :twisted: The previous X1 licenses were permanent licenses, and this error message states that my "... paid license of X1 Search has expired." While trying to figure out what was going on and reviewing the knowledgebase I came across the "How do I download X1 Search 8" entry, which states that if one's software assurance is up to date a "Get X1 Search 8" button will appear on one's support portal page, but if it has expired that a "Buy X1 Search 8" button will appear instead. Guess which button is on my search portal page now? You guessed it, the "give X1 more money" button. Oh, yeah, BTW, my software assurance was renewed on 26 Feb 2013, so even if there is a new 'rental' license model, I've paid up until next year.
smbrannon
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:04 am

Re: Licensing Hell

Postby Rhonda » Tue May 14, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi Smbrannon,

Really sorry to hear you are having problem -- if you can submit a case through the link below -- I think our tech support can help walk you through fixing this issue.

http://www.x1.com/support/x1_search_submit_case.html

Let me know when you've submitted the case. Thanks

smbrannon wrote:OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit with all patches applied.

I did a clean install of X1 8 on a new machine. It worked fine for a couple of days, until today when I tried to use it and got the following message:

Your paid license of X1 Search has expired. To continue using X1 Search, please renew your license by clicking 'Buy Now.'

I re-entered the X1 license info I received on May 8, the same that had worked previously, and was rewarded with an error dialog box:

There was a problem activating your license.
Error(9201) There was a problem saving the license.

Of course the fact that my bright new shiny X1 8 isn't working is a pisser, but what REALLY sucks is that it appears that X1 has moved to a 'software rental' license without my knowing it. :twisted: The previous X1 licenses were permanent licenses, and this error message states that my "... paid license of X1 Search has expired." While trying to figure out what was going on and reviewing the knowledgebase I came across the "How do I download X1 Search 8" entry, which states that if one's software assurance is up to date a "Get X1 Search 8" button will appear on one's support portal page, but if it has expired that a "Buy X1 Search 8" button will appear instead. Guess which button is on my search portal page now? You guessed it, the "give X1 more money" button. Oh, yeah, BTW, my software assurance was renewed on 26 Feb 2013, so even if there is a new 'rental' license model, I've paid up until next year.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:38 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Licensing Hell

Postby smbrannon » Tue May 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Already submitted case 00069485. Have yet to get a response. I later learned the info mentioned in the last paragraph of the post above re: the button on my support page portal changing from "Get X1 Search 8" to "Buy X1 Search 8" but was unable to submit an update to my case. As mentioned in another user's post, replies to the email from which the case notification is sent bounces as a bad address, and there is no apparent means to update a case from the submittal page. I think a new bug tracking solution is in order. There are a number of free open source bug/issue tracking solutions that are far superior.



As my case sits now X1 is non-functional and I am faced with either waiting for a solution from X1, or installing the previous version and having it re-index which only have to be repeated when 8 is installed again once my license issue is resolved. This is why users HATE DRM! We see no perceived benefit, only punishment.
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.
smbrannon
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:04 am

Re: Licensing Hell

Postby Rhonda » Tue May 14, 2013 7:45 pm

smbrannon wrote:Already submitted case 00069485. Have yet to get a response. I later learned the info mentioned in the last paragraph of the post above re: the button on my support page portal changing from "Get X1 Search 8" to "Buy X1 Search 8" but was unable to submit an update to my case. As mentioned in another user's post, replies to the email from which the case notification is sent bounces as a bad address, and there is no apparent means to update a case from the submittal page. I think a new bug tracking solution is in order. There are a number of free open source bug/issue tracking solutions that are far superior.



As my case sits now X1 is non-functional and I am faced with either waiting for a solution from X1, or installing the previous version and having it re-index which only have to be repeated when 8 is installed again once my license issue is resolved. This is why users HATE DRM! We see no perceived benefit, only punishment.


I just looked up your ticket. I am not sure which timezone you are in -- but I can make sure we reach out in the AM. If you are available now, I can call you.

I shot you an email.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:38 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Licensing Hell

Postby smbrannon » Wed May 15, 2013 12:45 am

Rhonda wrote:I just looked up your ticket. I am not sure which timezone you are in -- but I can make sure we reach out in the AM. If you are available now, I can call you.

I shot you an email.


I really appreciate your reaching out, and you made a support offer that is above and beyond the call especially as I am not an enterprise customer.

I'm PST, but early afternoons are really much better for me, if possible.


Cheers
smbrannon
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:04 am

Re: Licensing Hell

Postby PSC » Wed May 15, 2013 10:53 am

My ticket 69484 has not been responded to. I'm surprised that something that is affecting multiple customers is taking so long to resolve.
PSC
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:08 am

Re: Licensing Hell

Postby Rhonda » Wed May 15, 2013 2:56 pm

PSC wrote:My ticket 69484 has not been responded to. I'm surprised that something that is affecting multiple customers is taking so long to resolve.



I looked into your ticket and support responded back a few hours ago. It was somewhat vague so if you are having the same issue as shown above please take a look at the following link which might address your problem.

http://help.x1s8.com/#problems-activati ... Error-9201

In specific this covers the 9201error "There was a problem activating your license"

Let me know if this helps.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:38 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: Licensing Hell

Postby Kuni » Thu May 16, 2013 9:19 am

Rhonda wrote:. . . http://help.x1s8.com/#problems-activati ... Error-9201

In specific this covers the 9201error "There was a problem activating your license"

Let me know if this helps.

I have the same error 9201 problem, but I do not have the “x1cl.dat” file that the link says to look for.

I just created Case #00069599 but I am on the clock here so I’m kinda hoping that I could get an immediate response.



P.S. I also had a crap load of grief logging in to post. I logged into my support account yet it did not log me into the forums, then it would not recognize my ID/password and I had to get a new PW generated.

Could you have a chat with the appropriate person so I only have to log in once.
Kuni
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:54 pm


Return to Bugs V8

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

cron