Path Shown Above Preview Window Used to Be Selectable

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

Path Shown Above Preview Window Used to Be Selectable

Postby snickerbarz » Wed May 15, 2013 12:18 pm

I regard this as a bug because it stopped working with Search 8 (trial). In version 6.7, I could select (highlight) and copy the "Path:" name displayed above the Preview Window for the currently displayed file. This was a VERY convenient and helpful feature, as users frequently need to enter a file's path or file name into the Open dialog and text boxes in other applications.

In Search 8, I can still perform this action on the FILE NAME above the Preview Window, but it no longer works on the PATH. I imagine this was an oversight during development of Search 8, because it makes no sense to give users the ability to select the file name while at the same time preventing them from selecting the Path--especially when previous versions had this feature. Please restore the ability to select and copy the Path string above the File Preview Window. This should be an easy fix.
snickerbarz

Re: Path Shown Above Preview Window Used to Be Selectable

Postby Rhonda » Wed May 15, 2013 8:12 pm

I spoke to one our techs regarding this -- it shouldn't be difficult to bring back. However, right clicking OPEN should work as well if that is what you are trying to do. If you need the absolute link for copy/paste -- then different scenario. I'll look into it and keep you posted :)
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Jogy » Fri May 17, 2013 5:38 am

Hi,

can you go to the Everything/Files search, locate some file there and see if you can select it's path above the preview?

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby snickerbarz » Wed May 22, 2013 9:29 am

Thank you Rhonda and Jogy.

By trying different things, I found that the path above the Preview window can be selected/highlighted when I choose Everything > Files but not when I choose Files > All Files or Files > Documents/Pictures/Music. This behavior is inconsistent. It's not a terribly big issue, I know, but X1's behavior should be consistent. Inconsistencies like this can be annoying and disruptive to one's work.

Shouldn't the Path that is displayed above the Preview Window when you choose Everything > Files work the same way as when you choose Files > All Files and Files > Documents, etc? After all, they're all Files--and the display of path and filename above the Preview Window LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME in both cases. The only difference is that you can select it in one case and you can't select it in the other case.

With regard to clicking Open: The problem with clicking Open is that this requires opening the file in the external application associated with the filetype. Sometimes I just want to copy and paste the path into a text file or into an application that is different from the default application associated with the filetype. In X1 6.7 I was able to do this. In X1 Search 8 I can't. Opening the file in its default application is unnecessary when you don't need to open the default application for that filetype.
snickerbarz

Postby Rhonda » Wed May 22, 2013 12:51 pm

snickerbarz wrote:Thank you Rhonda and Jogy.

By trying different things, I found that the path above the Preview window can be selected/highlighted when I choose Everything > Files but not when I choose Files > All Files or Files > Documents/Pictures/Music. This behavior is inconsistent. It's not a terribly big issue, I know, but X1's behavior should be consistent. Inconsistencies like this can be annoying and disruptive to one's work.

Shouldn't the Path that is displayed above the Preview Window when you choose Everything > Files work the same way as when you choose Files > All Files and Files > Documents, etc? After all, they're all Files--and the display of path and filename above the Preview Window LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME in both cases. The only difference is that you can select it in one case and you can't select it in the other case.

With regard to clicking Open: The problem with clicking Open is that this requires opening the file in the external application associated with the filetype. Sometimes I just want to copy and paste the path into a text file or into an application that is different from the default application associated with the filetype. In X1 6.7 I was able to do this. In X1 Search 8 I can't. Opening the file in its default application is unnecessary when you don't need to open the default application for that filetype.

Thanks for the feedback -- I totally get it. I'm pretty sure I have a ticket in for this already but I will double check.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby csalsa » Thu May 23, 2013 12:58 am

I do not know if this is your problem. I posted in an earlier post about the File Path not always being present. The original post was under the V7 beta and I cannot find it.

In summary, the post was about confusion over the use of "FIles". In "Manage Data Sources", it relates to files found in the File System and I suggested the "Data Source" be renamed from "Files" to "File System" to reflect this. Why is this a problem? Because "Files" in the toolbar is files from the File System AND Email attachments. And files in email attachments do not have a Path.

This confused me that some files had a missing path until I realised I was looking at email attachments. In this case, instead of showing nothing, a field could be dynamically labelled "Email:" and show a summary to help locate it, say, "Date : From : Subject" or the like.

The last part is actually an enhancement and not a defect (and perhaps off topic). I am putting off posting enhancements until we have a stable, defect-free build. Stability first, then enhance.
csalsa
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Bugs V8