What is being sent

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

What is being sent

Postby mrwul » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:48 am

When launching X1 I got below error screen.

=
=

What is being sent to X1 ? :x

I don't like NOT being asked for an 'Okay" before the details are being sent, especially when it is a full diagnostics report!

That report is sending a whole LOT of private matters.

I think that *all* reading here should first check all the .log files of what has been collected by the diagnostic tool
and check if they feel it is okay that all those matters are being sent . . .
Filenames, folders, everything is sent to X1.
(we should be happy that not all files are sent!)

Maybe others don't care, but I do ..!

=
later, X1 crashed again

=
=

However, re-install is not possible
=
=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Re: What is being sent

Postby Rhonda » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:44 am

I am not aware of it sending anything but error details. Additionally, you can cancel out of that screen. You don't have to send details.

Regarding the diagnostic, it's just details about where it crashed and what was indexing, otherwise it would be impossible to pinpoint your specific error. I actually DO encourage EVERYONE to take a look at them. Take out what you don't want to send but if you expect us to fix it we need details on where it is erroring.

I have said in another thread, possibly you need to connect with one of our developers directly. My email is in the sig, please let me know if you want me to set something up. Otherwise, I really can't help you.

Rhonda

mrwul wrote:When launching X1 I got below error screen.

=
=

What is being sent to X1 ? :x

I don't like NOT being asked for an 'Okay" before the details are being sent, especially when it is a full diagnostics report!

That report is sending a whole LOT of private matters.

I think that *all* reading here should first check all the .log files of what has been collected by the diagnostic tool
and check if they feel it is okay that all those matters are being sent . . .
Filenames, folders, everything is sent to X1.
(we should be happy that not all files are sent!)

Maybe others don't care, but I do ..!

=
later, X1 crashed again

=
=

However, re-install is not possible
=
=
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Rhonda » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:57 am

Everything in this folder is being sent -> C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\X1 Search\logs

If you have another default location, still everything in that \logs folder is being sent.

You can tell by their names what it is giving us info on. Please (to all) I encourage you to explore these.

Anything with .crash in it is obviously very important so if you want to exclude any of these files, I don't suggest you exclude this one.

We ask for them all because we do not know what caused your machine to crash unless we look at these files. Sending them all is easier than us getting on the phone with each person and attempting to figure out what the one file which makes the notations that are important. When you install, and you can't install we don't even go this far, we only want the setuplog in the temp directory. Running diagnostics is just our way of covering all our bases so that we can find the error quickly.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby mrwul » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:39 am

Hi Rhonda,

the pop-up window states "This error report is sent" - in my believe it has already been sent (or not?)
Maybe I am confused. I assumed the submit button serves when I want to be kept advised or developers may contact me by mail (optionally).
But that the report has been sent anyhow, with or without my entering my mail address.

The "x1s_diagnostic_tool.exe" gets a lot of personal data (folder+filenames) and stores them in:

-X1ContentExtraction.log
-X1ServiceHost.log
-X1Viewer.log

I don't know if these files can be deleted.
Example: the X1ContentExtraction.log in my case is some 3.3mb and some 16,000 lines of foldernames and filenames
(X1ContentExtractionService). However, I donot see any technical info here.

=
mrwul
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Rhonda » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:16 am

I am not a developer. However, When a crash happens, and it's an official crash we need the crash logs. Anything with a .crash in it.

When service host disconnects then we are not sure why and need all the logs. However, we don't need everything in the logs. In fact if you are crashing we need the end of the logs. -- you can literally remove all those logs with the program shut down and then it will generate new logs on startup that only has the crash data if you are crashing on start.

Again, usually we don't know what part is crashing so we ask for everything.

I will see if one of our developers can respond here on Monday and explain it to you further.
Rhonda Rondeau
Product Manager
X1 Social Discovery
Rhonda
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Bugs V8