Outlook 2010, 40000+ sent emails, only 60 indexed

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

Outlook 2010, 40000+ sent emails, only 60 indexed

Postby kblount » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:02 pm

I've downloaded the trial version of V8 of X1, and it's finished indexing all of my email. When I search on "SENT" under folder name, it only shows 60 emails (and other searches support this), but when I go to Outlook, there are 48,000+ emails in the sent folder. What setting am I missing (either in Outlook or X1)? I can click through random ones in Outlook, and they load up instantly, so I assume they are actually downloaded from the server. This is a Google Apps account that is synced through the Google App.
kblount

Re: Outlook 2010, 40000+ sent emails, only 60 indexed

Postby kblount » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Actually, now that I look, it's only the emails that were sent out today (from my primary computer, and then synced to this one) that actually show up in the index. It is ignoring everything before today, but it shows all other emails from other folders that were received before today.
kblount

Postby Kenward » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:30 am

kblount wrote:it's only the emails that were sent out today (from my primary computer, and then synced to this one) that actually show up in the index.

You are going to have to say more about your setup.

Talk of "primary computer" and "synced to this one" suggests a non-standard configuration.

You may also have to explain what you mean by "Google Apps account that is synced through the Google App".
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby kblount » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:14 am

It's not really that non-standard. I have a IMAP email account, and a primary work computer with the older version of X1 installed. I do 95% of the email work from that PC. Everything works as it should.

I have a secondary computer that syncs with the same IMAP email account, and the new version of X1 installed on that PC. Once all the emails are synced with the secondary computer, I should be able to evaluate X1 to determine how it works compared to how I know the older version works on the primary PC.

The new X1 is very confusing, it keeps telling me that the index is up to date, but it is not. Last night when I posted my original question, it had only 60 of the 48000+ sent emails in the index, but it told me that it was up-to-date. This morning I checked it, and it now has many, many more of the sent emails in the index -- going all the way back to 2010 now, but all the emails from June 18th of this year are still missing. My assumption is that one day, it may actually have everything indexed, but after two days at it, with it constantly reporting that it was up-to-date, it has not. It is hard to evaluate a program when what it keeps reporting is flat out wrong. I cannot pull the trigger to purchase this new version until I actually have faith that it is going to report the results I'm searching for, and after 2-3 days of corrupted indexes (with multiple reinstalls) and now a seemingly valid install that does not find what I'm searching for, I'm afraid that the 2 week trial is going to run out, and it's still not going to have every email in the index.

If there is something I can do to have it use 100% of my PC to finish indexing everything, then I can set it while I'm at work, and let it have at it. Or if it had an actual, true-to-life update of how much more indexing it has to go, then I would at least have some idea that it really is working towards a goal.

Here's a link to the program Google created to integrate with Outlook to help keep everything between Google Apps and Outlook synced up: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync.
kblount

Postby Kenward » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:11 am

kblount wrote:It's not really that non-standard. I have a IMAP email account

Maybe not that exotic when you start explaining, but you said nothing about IMAP in your first message. It makes a difference, as do POP and Exchange.

kblount wrote:If there is something I can do to have it use 100% of my PC to finish indexing everything, then I can set it while I'm at work, and let it have at it. Or if it had an actual, true-to-life update of how much more indexing it has to go, then I would at least have some idea that it really is working towards a goal.

The first index run with any version of X1 always depends on how much there is to index, and how much time the PC has to do it. One piece of regular advice is to leave it to run overnight to give X1 enough time.

To my mind 48000+ sent emails is asking for trouble, in more way than one. With regular archiving and use of Rules in Outlook I keep my sent box as empty as possible. I prefer to have my replies alongside the messages they relate to. This keeps individual folders manageable, and may make it easier for X1.

But if you want to force X1 to index all those messages, then point X1 at the Sent Items search.

The status line for indexing has never been reliable. It use of "percentage done" is especially misleading.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby kblount » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Thank you for the response. I'm not sure how you are organizing your emails. I honestly never gave organization any consideration, primarily because all the older versions of X1 were so reliable, all I did was search for something I needed. The only thing I ever spent time cleaning out was my Inbox -- the only thing I would leave in it was what I had to deal with. Everything that was completed, got moved to the completed folder, and everything that was sent, was saved in the sent folder (because that's where Outlook put them). Heck, why organize anything when X1 made finding them so easy?

Now, though, I'm not sure what to do. X1 V8 on the secondary computer is reporting 176,100 messages indexed, but the index appears to be corrupted again. When I scroll down the list, the messages disappear (from the list view).

If I sort the messages from the "completed" and "sent" folders into, say years -- all the 2010's in 2010, all the 2011's into 2011, etc. I would still expect X1 V8 to index them. Will having them in different folders help, or does that just change the way I do thing, but with no real benefit in what X1 V8 can do with it?

This is all X1's fault. If the older version was not just chugging right along with no problems on my primary PC, I'd have no expectations that the newer version should work just as well! :D

That being said, though, unless I get permission from them to install my older version on all the PC's I intend to use, I do not see what my options are. X1 V8 does not appear to be able to handle my email load, and I cannot purchase the older version any longer. Plus, I doubt the older version even works well on Windows 8 (the primary PC is Windows 7). I'm mostly just sad that this was not as easy as I was thinking it should be.
kblount

Postby Kenward » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:16 am

How long has it been indexing?

I know what you mean about using X1 instead of organising emails. But if I create Outlook rules for projects, it is so much easier to tell X1 to look in particular email folders than to rummage around in one giant lucky dip. I have, at the latest count, 607,487 Outlook messages.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby kblount » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:55 am

It had been indexing for just over 2 days when it seemed to get stuck on that conveniently round number of 176,100. I poked around on it and tried to force it to continue on last night, but nothing seemed to get it going again, and the disappearing emails from the search window was disconcerting, so I deleted the index once again, and had it start over (so now it's been working around 10 hours on the 4th go-around). I'll try moving messages into other folders to see if that helps at all with how X1 sees them, but at least you've given me confidence that it is possible to get to a much larger number. I came no where near the level of emails you have.
kblount

Postby Kenward » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:33 am

kblount wrote:It had been indexing for just over 2 days when it seemed to get stuck on that conveniently round number of 176,100.

That seems to rule out the time problem.

Is all this stuff in a single PST file?

Have you checked that X1 is paying due attention to all of the folders in Outlook?

My main Mailbox PST is 3 GB. In all I have 10 PSTs with a total size of 20 GB.

These are not all connected to my main mail profile. I attach older PSTs to an archive profile, with no related email accounts.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby kblount » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:23 am

They are all in one PST file. I'm not sure how I could break them up into separate ones since all of this email is synced up with the Google account. I tried limiting it only to 4 GB worth of email downloaded, but the Google app was random in what it downloaded (it did not start at the most recent and work backwards in time until it reached its limit), and the end result was unusable for me.

I did check through the settings, and all relevant folders were selected to be index. This 4th go-around seems to be working better, but I have to admit, I'm still a bit gun-shy after three failed attempts. I'll be keeping a close eye on it over the next few days, and will report back!
kblount

Postby JBreault » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:47 am

I have about 750k items indexed and have 6 pst files with one 18 gig. On occasion, the number of indexed items decreases and if I simply ask X1 to reindex, it will haphazardly but eventually index to the ~750k correct number. I haven't figured out why it will drop the number of indexed items nor how to prevent it from dropping items.

One thing to try is to use the Outlook Index Repair tool (scanpst.exe) to verify the pst file does not need repairing. In the past this seems to have helped ensure proper indexing.

Figuring out the fix to your problem might also help me and others with their problem.

John
JBreault

Postby Kenward » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:04 am

Do you also use autoarchive to populate those other PSTs?

How does X1 know about these PST files? That information might also help to debug kblount's problem.

I use a trick that I picked up here some years ago. The technology may have moved on, but it still works for me.

I leave my main PST to my main Mail Profile. I then create a second Mail Profile that has no email accounts associated with it, but that points to six data files.

X1 sees both profiles and indexes accordingly.

I find this easier than aiming X1 at a series of separate PST files.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby kblount » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:49 pm

I do not have a lot of new to add, but X1 has been indexing since I rebuilt it the 4th time -- so a little over 4 days. My workflow involves our CRM software notifying me of a follow-up requirement, me going to X1 to find the last communication, and then following up with the customer.

The number of non-indexed emails I am coming across is appalling (especially sent ones). Honestly -- if anyone relies on this current iteration of X1 to find job critical information, and they are having the same issues I am (but do not realize it), then whoa unto them. Unfortunately, so many of the search alternatives have closed down, so there is no real competition that I can see (maybe that's part of the problem?). There's no one left that I can even try out as an alternative. My options appear to be to either stick with the randomness of X1 V8, or move back to Outlook's own search, and lose all of the benefits of attachment searching (when it can be bothered to actually index the email of interest).

I'm just so happy I've still got the older version of X1 installed on the primary PC.
kblount

Return to Bugs V8