Search 8 not indexing

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

Search 8 not indexing

Postby turnert » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:14 am

Or indexing very very slowly, perhaps.

I noticed the other day that my "old" PST files were no longer included in the index. I checked that they should be and there seems to be nothing wrong with the setup. New e-mails are indexed immediately. Emails from 2013 - not so much (as in, not at all).

In the end, I deleted the index and started again. After 15 minutes, X1 had indexed two e-mails. After 40 minutes, it's managed four e-mails.

Presumably I need to reinstall - is there a download location for the last version (not the current one) of X1 Search 8? Or any suggestions for how I might fix this without starting over?

Thanks;

Tim
turnert

Re: Search 8 not indexing

Postby turnert » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:41 am

Just an update - 24 hours later, and it's indexed 742 items. Which would be "okay", if there weren't more than 9,000 items in 2014 alone.

PC is running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit. There's nothing maxing out the memory or the CPU; the CPU has 98% available, and there's 1.7Gb of free ram.
turnert

Postby Kenward » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:12 am

How are these PST connected to X1? Through a Mail Profile? "Manually"?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby turnert » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:58 pm

I suppose I'd say through the profile. They are all open in Outlook, and in the options screen I've ticked all those folders in Search 8. I haven't manually added them - in fact, I looked to see if I could, and couldn't see any way of doing it. That would be an option, if I could; to untick those folders, and then manually add all the PST files. That's what I did in my old version of X1 - I stuck with v6 for years, as it was so good. But it started to struggle under Windows 7 Pro 64bit, so I upgraded to version 8 earlier this year.

Just to note - I unticked nearly all the folders on Friday night, leaving just 2014 and the current (ost, not pst) file selected. Then rebooted. By Monday morning, it's indexed about 3,500 e-mails - out of a total of 9,000. It's using 136k of memory, and about 0% of CPU.

Tim
turnert

Postby Kenward » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:26 am

turnert wrote:I suppose I'd say through the profile.

Hmmm. A bit worrying. You are leaving it to chance there.

PSTs are attached to a Profile only if you connect the database with the Profile in the Mail bit of Windows.

If a PST database is not associated with a Profile, you should be able to add PST files in the Outlook Email area of Manage Data Sources.

I use a trick I picked up here some years ago, I create an extra Mail Profile, called Archive, with no associated email accounts. I then add to that Profile all of my extra PST files. X1 will then index them even when the PST file is not open in Outlook.

There may be other ways of achieving the same thing, including adding PST files directly, but I would not rely on having them open in Outlook simply because I don't want them open all the time.

You also refer to OSTs so I assume that you are using Exchange. Throw in the PSTs, and you have a complicated arrangement.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby turnert » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:08 am

Hi Ken;

Okay - I checked the Mail bit in my Control Panel and checked the data files associated with the profile; and all of the PST files are associated with the one profile; as is the OST file.

I'm wondering now about reinstalling from scratch - I just put 6.2.4 back on (that's the last version I had), and it's flying through the mails. X1 Search is still trudging along (V6 has done 9k in a little over an hour; v8 has managed 26 this morning). At this rate, there's no point in having version 8 at all; I might as well reinstall from scratch and see where that gets me - if it never speeds up, I'll end up just writing the expense off; and hassling them to sell me a licence of 6.7.4.

Tim
turnert

Postby Kenward » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:43 am

Something is certainly wonky there.

If all the PST are attached to a Mail Profile then it is hard to see why it is taking so long to process your email.

My only question is about using OST and PST stuff in the same Profile. I'm not familiar with Exchange, so I am probably barking up the wrong tree.

How big are these PSTs in all? My collection of seven comes to around 22 GB.
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby turnert » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:18 am

Mine come to 18.8Gb.

Version 6 of X1 has now completed everything; so at least I can now look things up! I'm going to do a complete uninstall; clear out with CCleaner, reboot and reinstall this afternoon and see how that goes!

Tim
turnert

Postby turnert » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:42 am

Well now.

I uninstalled X1 search. Ran Ccleaner on the registry a few times (until it found nothing), and cleared out any temporary files. Rebooted. Then reinstalled X1 Search using the file I downloaded back in April of this year. And what installed, was the current version. And what was being indexed, when I opened it up, was the files I had told it to index previously. So obviously uninstalling is not quite as complete a process as for some other programs.

However; it started indexing at a rate of knots, and this morning, everything is up to date. So all's well that ends well; although I'm not happy with the idea that unless I reinstall Windows, it looks like X1 will always know who I am; and if I want to reinstall after I've owned the product for more than a year, I suspect it will be an interesting experience.

Thanks for all the thoughts, Ken!

Tim
turnert

Postby Kenward » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:55 am

turnert wrote:I uninstalled X1 search. Ran Ccleaner on the registry a few times (until it found nothing), and cleared out any temporary files.

This isn't an infallible way of cleaning a PC. (I personally go nowhere near those toys because of the damage they can do.) In any case, the last time I looked Ccleaner, unlike Revo Uninstaller, does not claim to be a program remover.

The people who write software often provide instructions for completely removing all traces of their products, sometimes even with utilities that do the job.

My guess is that the reinstall somehow mended something that had been broken. All being well, it will stay fixed!
MK
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Bugs V8