Unable to select "what to scan for"

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

Unable to select "what to scan for"

Postby namex1pcd » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:06 am

Hello!

I am unable to select any of the "What to scan for" options.

Everything seems grayed out, and the mysterious empty box above the options seems dead.

What I would like to do is select an option that will search the contents of files and not the file path name. For example, if I have a folder named "John Smith" I would like to see in the search results for "John Smith" in the contents of files and not have the results showing all the path names for every file in that folder.

Thank you.

Paul Ducklow

X1 8,.3
namex1pcd

Re: Unable to select "what to scan for"

Postby Kenward » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:50 am

I assume that you mean the "what to scan for" slot in Files Options.

The empty box fills itself when you select something in the "tree" to the left.

The "grayed out" appearance means that X1 is set to partially index things in that location.

The idea of that area is to specify the types of files that you want to search and the extent of that indexing, content or just title.

The way to do what you want it to ignore that area of X1's configuration completely.

If you want to find files in a folder called "John Smith", just type that into the Path slot in the Files search in X1. Then you can search those files in the usual way.

I may have got this all wrong because I can't really unravel what is going on in this sentence:

if I have a folder named "John Smith" I would like to see in the search results for "John Smith" in the contents of files and not have the results showing all the path names for every file in that folder.

See what in the search results?

What are you searching for? The word John Smith within files? Or something within files on the folder John Smith?
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Return to Bugs V8