Outlook preview is not available

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

Outlook preview is not available

Postby alanjamesdunlop » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:14 am

Upgraded to X1 Search 8.3.2, build 5003dy (64-bit) and 'Outlook preview is not available' is returned in the preview pane. Before the upgrade preview worked. Any suggestions?
alanjamesdunlop

Re: Outlook preview is not available

Postby Kenward » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:07 am

Preview in Outlook is working here. So it isn't a universal problem.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby alanjamesdunlop » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:35 am

I can see the email content when I uncheck 'Store Outlook Email body in the index' under the Outlook Email Options (under Data Sources). Check it again, delete index, reindex and the message 'Outlook preview is not available'
alanjamesdunlop

Postby shiphen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:01 am

Help! I have the same problem.

I am using X1 Search 8.3.2 running on Windows 7 x64 (with all latest patches), and Outlook 2010 using ms Exchange. This was not a problem in my previous version of X1 Search ("version 8.3.1.1" I think)

I have tried rebooting my PC and I have even tried deleting all my Indexes(!) but as soon as X1 starts rebuilding the index it is immediately failing to show the contents of emails in the right hand window and simply says "Outlook preview is not available"

I guess we need to uninstall v8.3.2 and revert to v8.3.1.1 ?

J

PS Is it worth completely uninstalling X1 Search and re-installing v8.3.2 ?
shiphen
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby shiphen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:26 am

OK I have solved the problem. But only by completely uninstalling X1 Search including deleting the index and removing all settings, rebooting and re-installing v8.3.2.

This is slightly irritating being as I now have to rebuild all ms settings and all my bookmarks. And I now have to wait while it rebuilds the index from scratch.
shiphen
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Jerald Metz » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:14 am

All,

We have identified the cause for this issue. It appears to be a bug with the "Store Outlook Email Body in the Index". If this option is enabled, preview will fail.

We are working on a fix and will push out an update as soon as possible.

We don't believe a fix will require reindex so we recommend not deleting your index or reinstalling, and instead wait for the new version if possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks!
Jerald Metz
Product Manager, X1 Search 8

Please feel free to reach me directly at jmetz (at) x1 (dot) com
Jerald Metz
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby thinkstorm » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Glad that you found the bug, but it is really irritating that just when my support license expired suddenly I am starting to have problems with x1....
Cheers,
Thorsten Claus
www.thinkstorm.com
thinkstorm

Postby Jerald Metz » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:57 pm

All,

We've just released the fix for this issue. You can upgrade to 8.3.2.1 via Menu > Help > Check for Updates.

This fix does not require a re-index.

You can also initiate an upgrade by running the installer again, here:

http://download.x1.com/downloads/pro/X1SearchSetup.exe

Thanks for your patience while we worked to fix this!
Jerald Metz

Jerald Metz
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby thinkstorm » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:27 am

This fixed the bug! Thanks for providing a solution quickly. The new install path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\X1 Beta\X1 Search\X1.exe" and not "C:\Program Files\X1 Search\X1.exe' anymore... confused me at first.

Cheers, Thorsten
Cheers,
Thorsten Claus
www.thinkstorm.com
thinkstorm

Postby Kenward » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:19 am

thinkstorm wrote:The new install path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\X1 Beta\X1 Search\X1.exe" and not "C:\Program Files\X1 Search\X1.exe' anymore... confused me at first.

Me too. X1 keeps moving the path. Most confusing.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby 88dit » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:03 pm

My initial install was 8.3.2.1 and I still have the problems with some, but not all, of my PSTs. 'Store Outlook Email body in the index' is not selected. Support had me perform a repair of Office. Nope, didn't help. The only way I have found to fix it is to remove the PST from the data source, add it again, and reindex, but I don't have hours and hours to wait around whenever it happens.

I don't even care about the preview, but it prevents PSAs from taking place, like move & copy, etc.

Anyone else have this issue or found a better workaround?
88dit

Postby smccoy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:54 am

I experienced the same problem after installing 8.3.2.1 update. "Outlook preview not available."
Did an uninstall of X1, did not save settings. Removed the X1 index folder, too.
Reinstalled X1. So far, so good. It is building the fresh index. A partial result shows that previews do appear.
It is painful to go through and reset all the indexing, folder, and file preferences but I hope to regain the lost installation time in saved search time.

I did have a case open with 8.3.2 version, previews not appearing at all, not even a "Not available" message. Perhaps all will now be good.
smccoy

Postby jyastic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:32 am

I'm having the same problem (Outlook preview not available) except I have the "Store Outlook Email Body in the Index" unchecked. I also show "error" in every data source category except files. I am using 8.3.2.1 on a Surface Pro Win 8.1 machine. I have an .ost and several .pst files. The .ost file is connected to an exchange server. And I just did a uninstall/reinstall because X1 was not syncing the .ost file.
jyastic

Postby tgalang » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:39 am

I'm having a very confusing problem related to this. When I first start X1 (version 8.3.2.1, build 5003eb, 64 bit), Outlook preview works for all my emails. But at some point it stops working. I can't even see my "Store Outlook..." setting because when I click on Manage Data Sources, then Edit Outlook Email (the pencil icon next to it), X1 crashes. But if I go to Windows Task Manager, and click End Process on X1OutlookService32.exe *32, the window for Outlook Email Options will appear. I see that I didn't have the "Store Outlook..." box checked. I checked the box, got the warning that it will only affect new items that are indexed, and saved. However, now I can see the preview again, for all emails.
tgalang

Postby ajtrubin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:03 pm

Preview is not working for me, either. C'mon x1 people, please fix this problem. x1 worked fine in the prior builds and now it doesn't. It's worthless like this. The preview pane shows the contents of one e-mail in the list of search hits but when you select another e-mail on the list, the preview pane doesn't change; it's frozen. Closing the program and re-opening, or closing everything and rebooting, doesn't fix the problem. The x1 programmers have clearly screwed something up in this "upgrade." Please fix!
ajtrubin

Postby Trajan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:54 am

Outlook preview is still not working properly (8.3.2.1 build 5003eb). I am constantly stopping the X1OutlookService32.exe and restarting to get it to work for a bit. Any fix in the works?
Trajan
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Trajan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:13 am

Is this ever going to get fixed? No response from X1. It is very frustrating to have to manually stop the service all the time.
Trajan
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Jerald Metz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:00 am

All,

We did have an issue in 8.3.2 that caused Outlook preview to fail, however it was fixed in 8.3.2.1.

If you have not done so yet, I recommend a re-install to see if it solves the issue. If not, please contact our support team so we can capture logs and investigate further.

http://www.x1.com/support/x1_search.html

Thanks!
Jerald Metz

Jerald Metz
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Trajan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:19 pm

Jerald Metz wrote:All,

We did have an issue in 8.3.2 that caused Outlook preview to fail, however it was fixed in 8.3.2.1.

If you have not done so yet, I recommend a re-install to see if it solves the issue. If not, please contact our support team so we can capture logs and investigate further.

http://www.x1.com/support/x1_search.html

Thanks!

Jerald,
Do I need to uninstall first and then reinstall? Do I need to delete the index?
Trajan
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby gurs » Fri May 01, 2015 7:55 am

I have uninstalled 8.3.2 and installed 8.3.2.1. It worked for a couple of weeks, but I am now getting the "Outlook preview is not available" message again. I can't preview any messages.
gurs

Return to Bugs V8