Default Mail Client / Won't Index Outlook 2013

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

Default Mail Client / Won't Index Outlook 2013

Postby PeteLind » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:13 am

-----------------------------
Update (4/9/15 7:45pm EST): I completely removed X1 and reinstalled. No help. Can anyone confirm that they are using Outlook 2013 64-bit successfully? FWIW, I have a Dell Latitude E7240. Any help is appreciated.

-------------------------------
Update (4/7/15 7pm EST): I deleted the Data Sources associated with Outlook and made it worse. Now all my past emails have been deleted from the index. I tried to add the Outlook data sources back and I get the same message. As far as I can tell, I have made this mail client the default. What else can I check?

Thanks,

Pete

--------------------------------
I just upgraded to Office 2013, including Outlook. When launching X1, I received this message:

"Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client."

I have gone into the Control Panel and made Outlook the default but I am still getting the error message. (Also rebooted).

X1 Search 8.3.2.1 build 5003b 64-bit.

Any help?

thanks,

Pete
PeteLind
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Default Mail Client / Won't Index Outlook 2013

Postby PeteLind » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:09 pm

I thought I was on the right track when I googled the error message, but it turns out that the problem normally occurs when one app is 64-bit and the other is 32-bit. In this case, as far as I can tell, both apps are 64-bit. Is there another piece of the X1 architecture that is 32-bit that interacts with Outlook 2013?
PeteLind
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Default Mail Client / Won't Index Outlook 2013

Postby Kenward » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:25 am

I don't think that clashing "bitness" is an issue these days. At one stage X1 and Outlook had to be the same. When you installed X1 it checked the bitness of Outlook and installed accordingly. More recently, X1 just goes with the flow and installs the version to match your operating system.

X1 can then eat 32-bit and 64-bit Outlook. But Microsoft generally seems to prefer the 32-bit version when installing.

Choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office

This is mostly because the 64-bit version breaks all manner of Outlook and Office add ins. It does this in return for benefits that are irrelevant to 99.999% of users, like the ability to handle spreadsheets big enough to model the global economy. It is some time since I installed Office 365, but my memory is that you have to force it to install the 64-bit version of Office. I have 32-bit Outlook.

In your case, I assume that Outlook is behaving as it should in all circumstances apart from playing nicely with X1.

If I look at the Add-Ins in Outlook, I see that it warns that the X1 Outlook RTI Addin "caused Outlook to start slowly", with a delay of 0.656 seconds. It then offers to Disable this add-in.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru
 
Posts: 4149
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:35 am
Location: UK

Re: Default Mail Client / Won't Index Outlook 2013

Postby PeteLind » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:57 am

I am pretty sure I got it working, though not sure what will happen if/when I update or what else it may play into.

Here's what I did. I found this error in the windows event logs:

Detection of product '{9AC08E99-230B-47E8-9721-4577B7F124EA}', feature 'OutlookMAPI2Intl_1033', component '{BC5551FA-8420-403D-99D7-1EAC191169EA}' failed. The resource 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX86\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MSMAPI32.DLL' does not exist.

I went to that location and nothing was there. However, MSMAPI32.DLL *was* located at 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX64\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MSMAPI32.DLL'

--> can you see the difference? Yeah x64 vice x86....

So, I just copied the subdirectories and file from the x64 directory to the x86 one and it appears to work correctly. Seems very strange to me that nobody else is experiencing this problem.

Pete
PeteLind
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Default Mail Client / Won't Index Outlook 2013

Postby bdon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:21 pm

I'm evaluating X1 Search for use at a client office and we hit this issue right away. Users are on new computers with fresh installs of Windows 10 with Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit (via Office 365). Have yet to locate a solution here or elsewhere.
bdon
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:17 pm

Re: Default Mail Client / Won't Index Outlook 2013

Postby PeteLind » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:57 am

Well, it appears that I am the only one that has this problem... but it happened again after I upgraded to the latest version of Outlook. This time the error message said:

"Detection of product '{9AC08E99-230B-47E8-9721-4577B7F124EA}', feature 'OutlookMAPI2Intl_1033', component '{BC5551FA-8420-403D-99D7-1EAC191169EA}' failed. The resource 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX86\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MSMAPI32.DLL' does not exist."

Once again, I found the MSMAPI32.dll file in a different directory and created a path that looks exactly like the path above, copied the file over and now it works. Sorry for using this as my own personal problem solving record, but just in case somebody ends up with it, this is the workaround (I am assuming the real solution is to fix that line of code looking in the wrong place, but I suppose that could be a local problem with my laptop).

Regards,

Pete
PeteLind
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:06 am


Return to Bugs V8

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

cron