problems preview pane in search mode

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

problems preview pane in search mode

Postby friebx1a » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:47 am

X1 Search 8.3.3 build 5003fx (64b)
newly installed, mainly for searching documents (pdf, doc, ppt, htm..)
fast 6 core computer, 16 GB RAM, win 8.1

problems:
after indexing putting in a search term leads to selection of documents (e.g. pdf, docx, doc), but:
- no highlighting in preview pane
- only about every 2nd document shows up at all in preview pane
- exception: htm documents: highlighted search term and imidiate shoing up in preview pane - all htm documents, as it should be
- indexing status for all docs: OK

Any ideas how this can be solved?

Some additional info on the problem:
After uninstalling and reinstalling 2-times (with Revo uninstaller) suddenly no further install was possible.
In the meantime after reading several posts i understand this no more installable feature seems to be typical for X1 and i have sent an email to the X1 support to solve this.
I found an older version of X1 (Version 5.2.3 from 2005), which i could install as 2week trial version, and to my outmost astonishment this worked ! After indexing i could search the index, all filetypes were highlihted and every line of the indexed files showed up in the preview pane, only with a bad qulity of rendering.
Could it be because i had a mixture of 32 bit installations (e.g. MS office 2013) and the 64 bit installation of X1 V8 (before uninstalling) that this was the reason of the problem ?
The installed version 5.2.3 was definitily 32 bit, different from the V8 version installed.

JF
Last edited by friebx1a on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
friebx1a

Re: problems preview pane in search mode

Postby friebx1a » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:31 am

1. just found out that i have a mixture of 32b and 64b applications on the computer. x1 was 64 bit, but e.g. ms office 2013 32 bit.
could this be something influencing the above mentioned problem in post 1 ?

2. i was able to install an old version 5.2.3 from 2005 as trial version. this worked quite good regarding highliting and showing nearly all the found documents, which was not possible with version 8. This seems very strange, or ?

JF
friebx1a

Postby Kenward » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:40 am

friebx1a wrote:1. just found out that i have a mixture of 32b and 64b applications on the computer. x1 was 64 bit, but e.g. ms office 2013 32 bit.
could this be something influencing the above mentioned problem in post 1 ?

That used to be a problem, but no longer.

At one stage X1 had to be the same "bitness" as Outlook.

A recent update means that you can now use 64-bit X1 with 32-bit Outlook. That is how I have it. After all, even Microsoft suggests using 32-bit Office unless you have good reason for going 64-bit.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby Kenward » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:44 am

friebx1a wrote:After uninstalling and reinstalling 2-times (with Revo uninstaller) suddenly no further install was possible.

The devil's plaything. I would never use a tool like that. It is known to provide many happy and profitable hours for computer technicians brought in to repair severely damaged installations.

If only some files show in the preview pane, maybe you are being impatient and have a large set of data that X1 needs to index before it can do its thing.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby friebx1a » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:19 am

1. in X1 search i waited until the indexing was done. at this stage going from line to line all file contents showed up in the preview pane as it should be. after putting in a search term, even waiting after a reasonable time the amount of files was reduced (as it should be) and 2 things happened:
a) no highlighing of terms in the preview pane ( and i have checked with the simple find command that the file contained the search term i was searching for). the only exception were htm files, which showed up in the search results list and in the preview pane the right were highlited.
b) only every second file from the result list of files from the search showed up in the preview at all.

2. i have had never problems with revo uninstaller before. On the opposite i wondered frequently after finishing the normal uninstall process of a programm ( with its own uninstaller) how many traces were still there, which i could remove with revo uninstaller.

Regards
friebx1a

Postby Jogy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:34 am

Hello,

X1 Search 8 uses Oracle's Outside In (Stellent) technology for previewing almost all types of files (with the exception of html and media files)

it looks like on you computer you have a problem with the Stellent installation. Can you check in the installation folder of X1 Search 8 if there is a subfolder Stellent\Filters - it should contain a lot of .dll files. If not, then you may have to reinstall X1 and if it does not work, check the installation log for any possibly related errors.

Also, very soon (maybe in a few days) a public beta of the new 8.4 release will be available. Among other things, it includes updated version of the Outside In viewer which solves a bunch of problems.

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby friebx1a » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:56 am

Hallo,

this is good news. Because in searching for a solution for my problems with preview explained above i have uninstalled and reinstalled the X1 search program. when i try now to install again a window shows up with the title "install X1 Search" but for hours nothing happens. Therefore i even don t know what is in folder stellent /filters because of uninstalling and not beeing able to reinstall. what can i do ?
friebx1a

Postby Jogy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:00 am

Hello,

can you check if there is an install log at the location
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp\x1setup.log

and if it contains any errors that may provide insight why the install process is not working?

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby friebx1a » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:46 am

i found such a file, quite long, with some error hints. but iam not able to decode them - i don t know what they mean. can i sent it to you ? is there an attachment button in the post environment, because this file is quite large.
friebx1a

Postby Jogy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:02 pm

Hello,

You can send the file to jogybl _at _ gmail _dot_ com and I will try to take a look and see what could be the problem

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby friebx1a » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:21 pm

thanks yogi for the friendly offer. in the meantime i have bought a
X1 Premium Support ticket and wait that they help me to solve the problem. The first step is done, they sent me a diagnostigs tool, which produced a quite big textfile, which was uploaded than to the X1 site. I hope they will be able to solve the problem. Interestngly i could in the meantime install again x1 in the 8 version, which solved at least this secondary problem.
i hope the `professionals`are able to find the rason for the problem to make it possible to use this nice peace of software. i like especially the fast preview pane. on other issues there are other good solutions out, e.g daminion.

Again - thanks. if theprofessionals dont find a solution i will go back to an older version which did the job, and wait for a new release without the problem.

Regards

JF
friebx1a

Return to Bugs V8