X1 X1 Search 8.3.3 indexing missing many documents

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

X1 X1 Search 8.3.3 indexing missing many documents

Postby davidbaril » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:24 pm

Long time X1 user, who recently installed X1 8.3.3 on a new Windows 8.1 laptop. X1 appeared to be working correctly for several months, or at least I could not detect gross errors.

Recently, I went to search for some PDF files that I knew I had, but X1 could not find them.

I tried searching by an unusual word contained within the PDF (and other documents), and X1 returned NO hits. Not the file I knew the word was in, but also not other files that also contained the word.

So I then tried searching by the file name, entering a portion of the file name, and again, no hits.

X1 says my index is up to date, and it completed the last scan a few minutes ago. The files that should have been found were downloaded several weeks ago.

Since this was working before, this feels like some form of index corruption. I'm wondering if it may have something to do with a Windows 8.1 laptop going into the various "sleep" and low power states to conserve batteries.

This configuration involves a new laptop, a new version of Windows (8.1), and a new version of X1 (8.3.3). I was previously running X1 6.x under WIn7 Pro, on a 4 year old laptop. Both laptops have SSDs and start up and shut down very quickly. Both laptops run primarily docked on AC power, but also run off of batteries.

The old laptop/Win7/X1 6.x/ and power settings ran well and did not have indexing problems. There were one or two over 4 years.

It it is an indexing problem, possibly caused by going in and out of some power-reduced state. I know that the indexes need to be rebuilt.

However, is there any administrative tool that can validate that there IS an index corruption issue? Of course, the index could be coherent, but "missing" some information.

The missing information is not just about a single file. Multiple files are involved. File name searches are incorrect, as is searches within documents. Email searching appears still to be working properly.

I am somewhat concerned that without knowing what caused the problem, it may re-occur. Deleting and rebuilding the index makes the SYMPTOM go away, but not the cause.

Does X1 register with Windows 8.1 to be notified of "power" events, and then take steps to properly "pause" and "resume" the indexing?

Are there any specific recommendations as to Windows 8.1 power management settings? Currently, X1 is configured to run when on battery power.

Please let me know if there are any additional troubleshooting steps to perform BEFORE I delete and rebuild the indexes. Since all the local files are on SSD, the rebuild does not take that long. Re-scanning and indexing the BOX documents takes a while.

Thank you for your help.

Dave B
davidbaril

Re: X1 X1 Search 8.3.3 indexing missing many documents

Postby swhx1 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:00 am

Funny I have the exact same problem in ver 8.3.3 (build 5003fx 64 bit) running on windows 7x. I started looking for pdf's and sure enough they were missing. I also keep tallies of the total number of docs in the index and it went down which is not possible in my system as docs are only added not deleted.

Funny how there has been no reply to this yet. I rely on x1 to be highly accurate and this is a huge problem.

As an annoying aside I note that gmail will not let x1 connect to it so the email search is dead on arrival for me.

steve h
Windows 10 Home 64 bit | Intel core i5-6400 cpu
swhx1

Postby davidbaril » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 am

Hi,

A bit disappointed that this posting has had no replies in several days. I could not wait for additional troubleshooting information.

I deleted the X1 index, and rebuilt them, and the PDF files are now properly indexed.

Still don't know what caused the problem, and I am concerned that I can't trust the X1 indexing as being accurate. If I need to double-check X1 when I use it, what is the value?

I would suggest that some type of index consistency checker tool would be useful. With such a tool, you could at least verify that the index has not been corrupted.

In this case, because the PDFs were properly indexed initially, and were properly indexed after the index was rebuilt, I don't believe that the "missing" files were actually not scanned and indexed. It appears that the files were properly scanned and indexed at some time, and later the index was corrupted such that the information was not available. Perhaps some modified index metadata block was not flushed back to disk. Since this system is a laptop, I am suspicious about index integrity when the laptop enters the various power-saving sleep states.

I am unlikely to upgrade my other system which is running X1 6.7.4 to 8.3.x until the newer 8.3.x version proves to be more dependable.

Regards,

Dave B.
davidbaril

Postby Jerald Metz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:23 am

Hello davidbaril and swhx1,

It is difficult to troubleshoot a potential indexing issue here in the forums. The best way for us to troubleshoot is to review logs and capture potentially troublesome files for testing.

As such, please submit a support ticket with our Customer Care team so we can investigate further. You can reach customer care here:

http://www.x1.com/support/x1_search.html

If possible, please use our diagnostic tool to generate logs prior to submitting your ticket. Instructions below.

1. Download: http://support.x1.com/cs/x1s_diagnostic_tool.exe
2. Double-click the downloaded "x1s_diagnostic_tool.exe" file to run
(Win7/Win8 users with UAC turned on should right-click the file and select Run as administrator) 3. A Windows Explorer window will open when the tool has finished (this may take a minute).
4. Inside the x1supportfiles directory, send the ZIP file

If the resulting zip file is 8 megs or smaller you can email it directly.
If it's larger, let me know and I will provide you an alternative bath to share.

Thanks!
Jerald Metz
Product Manager, X1 Search 8

Please feel free to reach me directly at jmetz (at) x1 (dot) com
Jerald Metz
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby Jogy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:42 am

swhx1 wrote:
As an annoying aside I note that gmail will not let x1 connect to it so the email search is dead on arrival for me.

steve h

Hello,

what is the problem that you experience with adding a GMail account?

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Bugs V8