Unable to launch after reinstall

Bugs - Put em' here! We'll Squash them.

Moderator: Mods

Unable to launch after reinstall

Postby tq » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Long time, committed user - just upgraded to whatever new release we're on of x1.

Then, I've started having issues with X1: just stops indexing with no error messages.
After multiple efforts to restart had no effect, i tried to delete the index. When I'd go to "edit data sources" tho, X1 froze completely.
So i tried reinstall... no effect.

So I tried complete manual reinstall (http://help.x1.com/entries/21087272-Man ... -Remove-X1).
Now my x1 is totally hung at launch: splash screen up, stuck on "Loading plugins"

Ideas?
tq
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Re: Unable to launch after reinstall

Postby Jogy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:14 am

Hello,

can you check the X1.log file in the logs subfolder in the data folder and see if it contains any errors?

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby tq » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:01 pm

A few cut and pasted here -

13 Dec 2015 20:31:58,737 [1] ERROR X1OutlookService32Manager - Error creating OutlookClient
System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: There was an error reading from the pipe: The pipe has been ended. (109, 0x6d). ---> System.IO.PipeException: There was an error reading from the pipe: The pipe has been ended. (109, 0x6d).
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnection.FinishSyncRead(Boolean traceExceptionsAsErrors)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnection.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, TimeSpan timeout)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

13 Dec 2015 20:41:58,906 [1] ERROR X1OutlookService32Manager - WCF exception
System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: There was an error reading from the pipe: The pipe has been ended. (109, 0x6d). ---> System.IO.PipeException: There was an error reading from the pipe: The pipe has been ended. (109, 0x6d).
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnection.FinishSyncRead(Boolean traceExceptionsAsErrors)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnection.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, TimeSpan timeout)

13 Dec 2015 20:41:58,905 [1] ERROR OutlookClient - Exception caught

13 Dec 2015 20:41:58,907 [1] ERROR OutlookClient - Exception caught
System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel'.

13 Dec 2015 20:41:58,907 [1] ERROR OutlookUIPlugin - GetFolderDisplayNames exception
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at d8.a(OutlookConfig A_0, String& A_1, String& A_2)

13 Dec 2015 21:47:24,108 [10] ERROR UpdateManager - Web exception downloading plugin update information. System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
at X1.Common.Utils.ProxyNegotiatingWebClient.a[a](Func`1 A_0)
at X1.Common.Utils.ProxyNegotiatingWebClient.DownloadString(String address)
at X1.UI.Updater.UpdateManager.DownloadPluginUpgradeInfo(String x1Version)

13 Dec 2015 21:54:05,702 [1] ERROR OutlookClient - Exception caught
System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (655360) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element. ---> System.ServiceModel.QuotaExceededException: The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (655360) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.

13 Dec 2015 21:54:05,702 [1] ERROR X1OutlookService32Manager - WCF exception
System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (655360) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element. ---> System.ServiceModel.QuotaExceededException: The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (655360) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.

13 Dec 2015 21:54:05,702 [1] ERROR OutlookClient - Exception caught
System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel'.

13 Dec 2015 21:54:05,702 [1] ERROR OutlookConfigViewModel - Error fetching MAPI profiles
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at X1.OutlookPlugin.ViewModel.OutlookConfigViewModel.f()
tq
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Jogy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:34 am

Hello,

Is there a chance that you have very large structure of folder and subfolders in your Outlook profile?

In the data folder there are the files OutlookConfigCalendar.xml, OutlookConfigContact.xml, OutlookConfigEmail.xml, OutlookConfigNote.xml and OutlookConfigTask.xml.
Can you open each of then in a text editor, locate the line
<account-removed value="False" />
and replace it with
<account-removed value="True" />

The start X1. If it runs, then you will have no Outlook accounts configured. Try adding them again one by one from the Data Sources dialog and see if it again freezes on some.

Jogy
Jogy
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby tq » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:05 pm

My current outlook does indeed have many subfolders now - what do you consider very large?
At any rate I did this step, clicked to add outlook as a data source, and x1 hung.
tq
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby tq » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:11 pm

Note - about 5 minutes after the application hung, i got an x1 crash message that described having insufficient quota.
I submitted the error report to x1 (email address included).
tq
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby tq » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:22 pm

another update: now x1 will launch, and it will index files, but I cannot get it to index outlook.
when i click to add outlook as a data source, after several minutes of waiting, x1 will eventually prompt me to select a pst.
when i select a pst, x1 shows a progress bar that says it is adding PST files.
after several minutes, the progress bar just goes away and x1 returns to the "Outlook xxx Options" screen (where you can select "add pst file..." button; so... x1 is NOT hanging, but neither will it add any pst files.
tq
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:43 am

X1 usually picks of PST files from your Mail Profile. Are you trying to index PST files that are not in your Profile?

For some years I have maintained two (or more) Profiles. One has my email accounts and the main PST files. The other has no email accounts and the other PST files that I want X1 to index.

I started doing that following a tip I picked up here. It removes the need to add PST files manually.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tq » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:10 pm

Thanks Kenward for the idea. I tried not selecting any pst files on the "Add PST" screens, but that had no effect.
Still indexing files happily; still can't get it to talk to Outlook.

I spent a few hours simplifying my outlook profile today hoping that would help... no effect there either, even after reinstall of x1 + "MS Office Repair" on outlook.
tq
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby tq » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:28 pm

Today i did a complete reinstall of office 2013.
Same issue.

Unfortunately i am getting better at using the built in outlook search.... but I sure miss my X1.
tq
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby tq » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:13 pm

I wanted to close out my own issue with an update on how it was solved today.

It turned out that Jogy's note from 12/16 contained the seed of the solution when he asked if the outlook profile had become complex.
I originally didn't think my profile was complex, but I learned from X1 tech support that there is a way to look at your profile from outside Outlook, by accessing the "mail" item from the windows "control panel" menu and then clicking on the "Show Profiles" button. This was the other key to the puzzle. The Mail Control panel exposed the fact that literally thousands of profiles had been created against my profile (the result of a poorly designed utility designed to backup pst's).

It took hours to remove those profligate profiles, but with that done, X1 functionality was restored to me.

It's difficult to explain how wonderful x1 is. It's an outstanding tool and it's a tremendous relief to have it working for me again.
Three cheers for x1!

Many thanks to Kenward for contributing his suggestions, and to Jogy and to x1 support for the help.
tq
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Postby Kenward » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:57 am

tq wrote:The Mail Control panel exposed the fact that literally thousands of profiles had been created against my profile (the result of a poorly designed utility designed to backup pst's).

Nice bit of diagnosis. Want to name names?

I find that the Outlook synchonisation tool that I use, SynchPST, sometimes creates temporary Profiles. Fortunately, they have never got out of hand.

Looking at Profiles outside Outlook is how I set up my own regime, using a "blind" profile with no email accounts, as a wrapper for PST files that I do nto want Windows to open all the time.

You seem to have been a victim of how this works, which is down to X1 latching on to every Mail Profile on a PC. Unlike PSTs themself, X1 does not give us an option to ignore Profiles. Guess it isn't often that someone stumbles over this one.
MK
X1 Search 8.6.1 - Build 6003fa (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby tq » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:24 pm

kenward wrote:

You seem to have been a victim of how this works, which is down to X1 latching on to every Mail Profile on a PC. Unlike PSTs themself, X1 does not give us an option to ignore Profiles.

I suppose that's accurate and points to a development opportunity for x1.

That said, I want to make sure I convey my enthusiasm for this product, and my gratitude for the ideas from the support and development teams. In 2015 there are too few software innovators, and I continue to recommend x1 as an excellent productivity tool. I'm guessing we are probably of like minds on this, Kenward. :)

Thanks!
tq
X1 Power User
X1 Power User

Return to Bugs V8