Any plans to index local Thunderbird content with V8

Enhancement Requests - We'd love to hear about them.

Moderator: Mods

Any plans to index local Thunderbird content with V8

Postby mshannon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi All

I'm a long time Copernic user that recently decided to check out the competition.
I just upgraded from Copernic r3 (circa 2009), to release 5 and cannot stand it; its hanging my computer continually.

Anyway, I decided to give X1 a try, installed your X1 Search (v8) - which looks nice. Unfortunately though it does not support Thunderbird local email content.

Your old X1 Professional Client Version 6.7.4 (Build 4054eu) works with the Thunderbird email content fine though. (I installed it too).

I have work emails going back to 2002 all stored in these local/offline files - and not on some online IMAP server.

Any chance you plan to (re)introduce Thunderbird local email file support?

Ironically I'm part of the ECM org that supplies among other things the Outside In technology.
mshannon

Re: Any plans to index local Thunderbird content with V8

Postby Jerald Metz » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi there,

We do not currently have plans to re-introduce Thunderbird support to Search 8. We dropped support for Thunderbird as there simply wasn't enough demand to warrant continued support.

I will move this into the Feature Request forums in the event we determine here is enough of a need for it in the future.

Thanks!
Jerald Metz
Product Manager, X1 Search 8

Please feel free to reach me directly at jmetz (at) x1 (dot) com
Jerald Metz
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Postby toriatama » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Hello

I'm also dropping a word to say that X1 is a good search desktop software, with a clear interface and fast search/indexing, but since it does not support Thunderbird emails I wont use be able to use it. I do not want to use or pay for 2 desktop search softwares...

At least you should develop an official plugin. Thunderbird usage is growing (more than 10 millions users in 2015) and it's probably the first alternative email client to Outlook on Windows systems. I never wanted to use Outlook or Outlook Express and I guess I am not the only one...

A disappointed trial user
toriatama

Postby something » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:34 am

toriatama wrote:Hello

I'm also dropping a word to say that X1 is a good search desktop software, with a clear interface and fast search/indexing, but since it does not support Thunderbird emails I wont use be able to use it. I do not want to use or pay for 2 desktop search softwares...

At least you should develop an official plugin. Thunderbird usage is growing (more than 10 millions users in 2015) and it's probably the first alternative email client to Outlook on Windows systems. I never wanted to use Outlook or Outlook Express and I guess I am not the only one...

A disappointed trial user

You're disappointed because you tried the software without checking the docs. How is that X1's fault?

I also use Thunderbird, by the way.
something

Postby Kenward » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:32 am

The problem with Thunderbird, and other "exotic" email clients is that very few people seem to use them in the corporate world. They are the domain of "geeks", the sort of people who prefer Unix to Windows. (Some of us have fond memories of Eudora!) So there is no pressure on X1 from its main customer base, big business, to support Thunderbird. Some corporates might actually lock down their PCs and ban employees from using Thunderbird on company machines.

Another issue is the components that X1 buys in as helpers. The viewers, for example, come from Oracle. That too has little interest in the mass market, so we can't have viewers for OneNote, Evernote and other tools that make life easier for the rest of us.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.1 - Build 6001se (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby toriatama » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:37 pm

something wrote:You're disappointed because you tried the software without checking the docs. How is that X1's fault?

I do not blame anyone, just saying that's I am disappointed not to have found support for TB, especially since X1 is a good software, as I've written above.
And I would have said the same if I had checked the doc and noticed there is no support for Thunderbird. My message was a suggestion (call it "a wish") for the devs.

The problem with Thunderbird, and other "exotic" email clients is that very few people seem to use them in the corporate world. They are the domain of "geeks", the sort of people who prefer Unix to Windows. (Some of us have fond memories of Eudora!)

I do not recognize myself in this colourful description :) (and I am on Windows)
I began to use Thunderbird long time ago, since I wanted an alternative to Outlook which has a lot of features I do not need.
But yes, you're right, most companies are using Outlook.

I finally decided to go and buy an "Archivarius 3000" licence, it indexes all kind of mail, including Thunderbird. I'm quite happy with it. The interface is not as modern as X1, but it does a good job once you know how to use it.
toriatama

Postby shof2017 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:55 am

I am a long time X1 user and I use Thunderbird even longer. I really hope that X1 is going to add a Thunderbird connection that allows for seamless work. Even with the old X1 versions the user user cannot just double click on a Thunderbird message and continue to edit using Thunderbird. There are few million Thunderbird users only but not few work as multipliers in the IT industry and beyond. The usability of X1 is outstanding and I do not know any serious competitor in the market offering a comparable desktop search.
shof2017

Postby askwong » Tue May 16, 2017 6:42 am

We are using an older version of X1, specifically because it supported Thunderbird email client (which we use daily).

We would love to buy a newer version of X1, if:

a) Thunderbird email client support

b) No mandatory internet connection to active X1.
(This past summer, we were in an area with no internet for 3 weeks, and needed to use X1 on our computer).

[Edit: Even if X1 makes a Thunderbird indexing plugin, we would be willing to purchase it! ]
askwong
X1 Super User
X1 Super User

Return to Enhancements V8