Set Windows to use X1 in place of Intrinsic Search

Enhancement Requests - We'd love to hear about them.

Moderator: Mods

Set Windows to use X1 in place of Intrinsic Search

Postby rkm » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:03 pm

I stopped using X1 a few years ago once Microsoft integrated Windows Search into everything. Microsoft has created an environment where the OS heavily depends on Windows Search.

I really would like to come back to X1, but the problem is that after searching Google and the Forums, I don't see any information on how to get Windows to use X1 Search *in place of * Windows' Intrinsic Indexing/Search.

To repeat, I've searched prior to writing this. And .. I'm not asking how to disable Windows Search (have already done this) .. And .. I've read posts where people claim that X1 "just works" in place of Windows Search once it's disabled. That has not been the case for me.

I'm referring to (a) Search Box in eitiher the Modern-UI, or off the Start>Run button if you use a Win7 classic shell, the search box that is also integrated into the Windows File explorer along the menu bar. And finally, the intrinsic search within Outlook.

Is there a method to force Windows to use X1's search results with the input gathered through these UI's?

Thank you in advance!
rkm

Re: Set Windows to use X1 in place of Intrinsic Search

Postby Kenward » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:03 am

rkm wrote:Is there a method to force Windows to use X1's search results with the input gathered through these UI's?

That would be nice, but it isn't how X1 currently works. My guess is that it is down to how Windows works, as other index and search software seems to have the same issue.

X1 even removed the invaluable X1 Deskbar which allowed us to get away from the X1 user interface.
MK
X1 Search 8.5.2 - Build 6001si (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Windows 10 Home 32-bit
No, I have nothing to do with X1, just a user since 2004.
Kenward
X1 Guru
X1 Guru

Postby rkm » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Even Google offers an install that uses the search "charm" as input and integrates with Windows, and that's for simple web searching.

Offering a search client on Windows, yet not integrating with Windows, seems to be a guaranteed path to obsolescence. Particularly when Microsoft comes with a search tool that *is* built-in and costs the user nothing.

I gave X1 a try again because I had that it could be integrated in Win 8, on the forums, what a shame it's not supported.
rkm

Postby something » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:31 am

* I use "Classic Start Menu" (freeware). Maybe that author could make it work with X1?

* Another possibility would be to create a Web UI (or API open to localhost) that could be queried from a DIY widget or through the browser.
something

Return to Enhancements V8